spring questions

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Jpyle, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Have a couple of unrelated spring questions and appreciate any input:

AR - when I pull the charging handle I can hear the recoil buffer spring, I realize its harmless but it sounds like a pogo stick. Would a little lube or grease quiet it down or should I invest in a different buffer or spring?

CZ-75 Compact - second spring question is the about the guide rod spring on a cz compact...the thing feels like its about 18 lbs or so which really makes for a tight slide on a compact. Is it safe to trim a coil or 2 off or is there a lighter spring available. Also, would replacing the plastic guide rod make a difference?

Thanks

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

On the CZ-75, do not cut the spring. The spring is designed as a recoil spring, not a "give the owner a hard time working the slide" item.

A firearm is designed to work as a unit. Changing an item in the unit can and will affect other parts of the unit.

On your other firearm, remember that grease or oil on a spring can and will collect powder residue and other nasties that can and will affect function.

3. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

There is a product called dry lube you can use on the buffer spring.

What is really wrong with your CZ spring. Probably nothing. Unless you are a qualified gunsmith don't mess with it. Cutting your spring down will give you more problems that you have now.

If you feel it's to much for you to pull back the slide you might want to trade for a revolver. Please do not take this the wrong way.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Is the gun new?

Can you hear it when the bolt cycles during firing?

Shoot the snot out of it!

Is the gun new?

Does the gun run? (cycle properly? no FTF-FTE issues during firing?)

Shoot the snot out of it!

Both of the above issues should have been discovered prior to purchase. If the issues are of concern, they should be resolved before you release the cash!

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

The SPROING!! of the ar buffer spring going back and forth is normal. Its just how they are. Its one of the things i love about the ar15.

As for the cz dont change the spring. If your having a hard time cycling it then you need to pick a different ccw piece. Small semiautos have strong recoil springs because they dont have much slide mass. The shorter the slide the stronger the spring is going to be relative to larger versions of the same gun in the same caliber. Lightening the spring can lead to frame/slide cracks or failures and possible fail to feed issues

The guide rod i would leave alone unless its showing signs of wear.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Thanks guys. The CZ is new. The AR I built the lower and was just curious if the sproing sound was normal or not with certain buffer and stock configurations. Neither guns functioning is affected by it. The cz is my only compact and is just noticably stiffer.

I like Cane's advice...I'll let the gun do the work and shoot the snot out of it.

Thanks again

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

The cool thing is that as you get more used to the way the ar works that sproing or lack of lets you know instantly when your mag is empty.

The feel of it not going forward is also distinctive as the rifle will gently push your hand back then gently pull forward as it loads a new round.

It also gives a lot of subtle feedback. If your in tune with the ar you can tell if something isnt right just from the feel and sounds its making.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As stated before, do not cut, clip or trim springs. EVER! There is a delicate balance between slide/bolt-carrier mass and spring strength. Messing with that will (at best) cause malfunctions or (at worst) cause a breakage of a vital part.

Oiling the buffer spring on an AR will do nothing to quiet the sproing. It will just give the grit and grime a place to stick and accumulate, eventually causing function issues. After a while you will hardly notice the sound.