SPR barrels question.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by AznZOhAn, Feb 23, 2012.

1. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Am building a SPR, but I don't know what barrel manufacturer to use. The market for a 18" barrel with rifle length gas system isn't really big, but I would like some advice. I'm trying not to brake the bank, but at the same I know you pay for what you get. Can anybody point in the direction I need to go in. I'm thinking between $250 for a Wilson Arms air gauged stainless steel, Rainier Arms $299, or $260 WOA. If anybody can think of another. Rand that is good and good price please let me know.

2. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Black hole weaponry, great prices lousy lead times.
    Noveske, forged in dragons blood, quenched with the tears of a virgin.
    Jp Enterprises, beam my credit card up Scottie.

Lilja, BCM, DD, etc etc etc

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

At that price and SS (I'm assuming from the barrels you listed) WOA is a good choice. If you don't have to have SS look at DD.

4. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

The only thing about DD is they don't have a 18" barrel with a rifle length gas system. I'm wanting to build a MK12 SPR copy. So far I've see white oaks, Wilson arms, DD, and Rainier arms, and noveske, sabre defense, and a few others are out of my price range.

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

My fault I missread SPR for SBR :eek:. I had a WOA SPR 18" w/ rifle length gas system. I liked it for the short amount of time that I had it. To long for me, I'm no size queen.

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Black Hole, makes good stuff if you do the time......

7. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I was gonna go with a 20", then I talked to a marine sniper and told me go with 18". That is what used in Iraq and he said it worked great and it's smaller and lighter than a 20".

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Sounds good.

9. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Anybody ever had experience with Rainier Arms barrels. They use Wilson blanks just like white oak, but they use a different twist ratio. It sounds like a deal, 18" stainless steel barrel, 1 in 8 twist, rifle length gas system, 223 wylde, and intermediate profile for $225. What do y'all think.

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

11. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Thank you.

12. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

How reliable is the 223 wylde?

13. jg3

jg3 New Member

Have a look at Wilson combat for barrels too

14. AznZOhAn