Spotting scopes

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by martyd, Jan 19, 2012.

1. martyd

martyd New Member

After buying my Remingtion 700 n the Leuopld scope I now need to get a spotting scope- I only have $150 to spend- I just bought a caldwell lead sled shooting rest. What should i get ? 50 or 60 power- Im at 100 to 200 yards maybe 300 max.
    bushnell 12-36x50 $149
    bushnell 18-32x50 $149
    barska 20-60x60 LIST price $1365.000 sale $159.00
    barska 8-24x58 sale $69.00
    I have no clue--any help ??
    I may have to get a job. LOL
    Marty

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

if you only have that small amount to work with. you might want to consider. buying ammo for your new 700. i would think ammo would rank higher than a spotting scope. but if you must have one. i would suggest this

Amazon.com: Burris High Country Spotting Scopes - Choose Size: Sports & Outdoors

this should be better quality and cheaper than all the ones you listed. so i would say

burris

bushnell

barska at a last resort

3. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

This is the one I just bought.
    Amazon.com: Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 20-60 x80 (45 degree) Spotting Scope: Sports & Outdoors
    Also bought the Tripod.
    http://www.amazon.com/Alpen-Micro-Adjustable-Table-Tripod/dp/B001EE7XYW/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_img_b

4. rifleshooter474

After one does some walking back and forth checking their targets, a spotting scope seems a good item to have.;)

5. martyd

martyd New Member

I went to that site. Having a scope without a tripod is going to be ok ? Witch one 50 or 60 power ? I have no clue never use one. You all pick ones without the tripod ? You can hold that in your hand and still see without shaking ?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Having a strait spotting scope, I wish mine were angled. I have an old 15-45x50mm. It is a pita to get set up.

7. rifleshooter474

Trust me you really need the tripod.;)

8. jpattersonnh

Without a tri-pod they are useless.

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Definitely need a tripod and, like JPatt said, an angled scope is what you want.

Oh, and stay away from Barska.

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

A camera tripod works great also,you can use it sitting or standing.

11. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

you wont find any holes no matter how well you look through that spotting scope if you have no ammo :cool:.. lol.. but i know what you mean.

12. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

What's the best magnification to get? Or to be more specific, what would be a good magnification for 300 yards and also 500 yards? I'm just guessing here but a 15x scope does ok at 100 so 30x spotting scope should be ok at 200 and 60x at 400. Does that sound about right?

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i apologize for posting one without the tripod. i was more trying to get the brand across. if you look there are other sales with tripod included.

14. martyd

martyd New Member

Your right- im holding off on that scope -so i went today a bought 10 boxes of 308 -150 gr FMJ I went to buy remingtion but i got Tul Ammo [made in russia] steel case . Ever hear of them ?

15. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

Nothing wrong with picking up more ammo, safe bet.

I have a spotting scope that I picked up a couple years ago for my .308, and I wanna say it was only like 50-60 bucks. It's a Walmart special, but all I'm doing is looking at the 100yd line after shots have been placed. It's a Simmons, and I believe the make/model is Blazer, it's 20-60x60, it's rubberized and waterproof. It also came with a tripod w/mounts and cases for both the scope and the tripod individually. For being a low price scope it has pretty good clarity too, just chipping in what I have experience with, good luck. :)

16. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I bought a small inexpensive spotting scope from ebay for $20. It works great. All I want to do is see the holes in the target at 100 yds. after shooting and it does that perfectly. I'd rather put more money into powder, bullets, primers, etc.
    cottontop

17. jpattersonnh

Marty, be careful of cheap ammo. Tula ammo is pretty dirty and not known for accuracy.

18. martyd

martyd New Member

I read about that. Tula is Dirty! I also read it has a long shelf life but its hard on your gun. Im not going to use it,its back up ammo. I will get remingtion. I have over 2000 rounds of ammo 38-357-9mm - 12 for the shot gun and 410 and now 308. How long can you store ammo for ? Every time i shoot i use the oldest ammo and always replace it. I want to have about 2000 rounds. Untill 2012 comes and goes. Hope we will never have to use them, but just knowing i have them makes me feel better. I live in Delaware now and every week im reading about another home invasion.
    Marty D.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012