Firearms Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new spotting scope. I was looking at a 9"x18" steel pig at 300 yards with my old spotter and could not tell it was a pig. It just is not focusing. It is over 40 years old so do you think it is worn out? I am about worn out too. I was looking at 4 scopes in the $500 range and 1 @ $400. I have a 15% coupon that expires today. Which one?
Nikon Prostaff 16-48x60 $490 and considerably lighter than the 80mm.
Nikon Prostaff 5 20-60x82 This one is $510 open box but a top choice.
Vanguard Endeavor HD82 20-60x82 Never heard of Vanguard.
Vortex Diamond Back 20-60-80 $500 and my other top choice.
Vortex Diamond Back 20-60x60 this one is $400 and is lighter than the 80mm.

·
Supporting Member
11,813 Posts
JTJ

I would also recommend one of your two Top Choices. Either would be a excellent choice. I have a Nikon have had it for years now and it has been a good one. However Vortex is making some fine products as well.
Wow! 40 Years I guess you got your money's worth out of it.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Being a tightwad I use a surveying instrument. Optical surveying equipment is becoming obsolete and you can find them cheap. The optics are great if you can stand the narrow field of view.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I have a simmons from wal-mart. The tripod it has sucks. I put it on a heavy duty photography tripod. It works great. Even see the bullets flying when the sun hits them the right way.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Being a tightwad I use a surveying instrument. Optical surveying equipment is becoming obsolete and you can find them cheap. The optics are great if you can stand the narrow field of view.
And you can center the crosshairs and, use motions to accurately slew to the center of your group, and know exactly how much you need to adjust your scope.

I wish someone would build a motion you can mount a spotting scope on. I grew up using transits as spotting scopes, and spent a decade as a Surveyor, before I went back to school to get an engineering degree.

Spotting scopes drive me nuts, because they don’t have motions, and it is really hard to scan across terrain, when you’re trying to spot and stalk.

·
Premium Member
14,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I may have found the problem with my old scope. It does not like my glasses. It is an old Bushnell made in Japan. I was playing with it at home and could not focus much past 100 yards until I took off my glasses. Then I could see the louvers in a roof mount AC at 300+ yards. I am still looking at a new scope though. I ran across some reviews and am considering an Athlon Ares 15-45X65ED. It would be $510 and very comparable to the same size Vortex Viper at $555 I was looking more at $400 but the reviews are not as good. The Vanguard Endeaver HD82 was looking as probably the best buy @ $425 but then I ran into a side by side review against the cheapest Leupold SX1 and the Leupold optics blew it away for less money.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Love optics and am struggling with a cheap spotting scope I got - not for its intended use but for bird watching. Did well for several years - mounted on a camera tripod on our front porch. But eventually, temps and humidity got to it and there are spots on the lenses: on the inside.

It works okay for my shooting purposes (out to about 75 yards), but needs to be either retired or cleaned up as it is susceptible to humidity.

One thought, given today's technology, is a remote Wi-Fi camera rather than a spotting scope. I've seen some for an absurd price, but am considering building a set-up for zeroing purposes. I don't own a smart-phone, though, so that is a challenge. I may correct that challenge eventually, but I love my flip-phone...

·
Premium Member
14,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered an Athlon Ares 15-45X65. $533 shipped from B&H which is a forum sponsor. I was looking very hard at the Hawke Endurance ED 20-60X85 but it is on the large side. The Athlon is a compromise. Bigger than what I have but still pretty portable.
I did consider a target camera but with my luck it would probably get shot. For longer than 300 yards the camera would make a lot of sense.

Reactions: MisterMcCool

·
Banned
4,353 Posts
Like Sniper03, I have a Nikon bought quite a while ago for a caribou hunt. The thing about a GOOD spotting scope involves how the lenses are ground. The information I came back with from one of the S.H.O.T. shows was about how Nikon and Zeiss grind their lenses. Once those lenses are slid together, that's it, they stay that way. Some of the lower end spotting scopes and even rifle and handgun scopes have lenses that are glued face to face. That process lacks in clarity that only well polished glass will provide.

·
Premium Member
22,626 Posts
Leica
Swarovski
Ziess
Steiner

·
Supporting Member
11,813 Posts
JTJ
An addition to my previous post! Vortex is making some great optics these days and with a lifetime warranty as well. Which would also make it a good choice for the quality and the price! I like Swarovski and Steiner but for just general use they are expensive. Of course a good quality Spotting Scope from the ones listed first priced lower or the ones listed last on the high end should last one a lifetime if taken care of.

Reactions: locutus

·
Premium Member
22,626 Posts
Let's see if I remember this one.

A good piece of glass is like a good piece of azz,, there is no substitute for either, and neither is cheap."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts