spotting scope to see holes out to 300 yards?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Vincine, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

What do I want for a spotting scope to see holes out to 300 yards?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Something more powerful than the scope on the gun. Lol

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I am also in the market and am very confused. Why do they all have to include a cheesy tripod? Why doesn't anybody make a value spotting scope without the tripod so I could buy a nice one, myself?

How much do I really need to spend to get something that I won't regret buying? $200? More?

4. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I bought a Barska Colorado Series 15-40 x 50 Straight Spotting Scope and it was not strong enough at 50 yards to see the holes. If I was going to get another one it would be at least 20-60 x 60.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Got a Bushnell 36X that does pretty good, Have a cheap Harbor Freight 60X that is not half as bright or clear.

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

The Harbor Freight one I owned for all of 10 minutes. I got home, set it up, and the eye relief made it impossible for someone with glasses. Plus, the tripod was like pick-up sticks. I'd rather spend even a LOT more money and get something actually useful. I do think 20-60x is the magnification to shoot for.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I have an old 15-40x50 Simmons. It works ok. The biggest issue is finding the target!

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Resolution is the key: the ability of the glass to separate two distinct points. Quailty glass is very expensive, and, you'll want big, light gathering, objective lens. 300 isn'y 600 or 1,000 so u might get away with a lesser brand but I'd suggest investing in a Kowa.