Spotting scope for the snake eyes?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by canebrake, Jan 13, 2010.

1. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'm about 2 weeks out from needing to dial in three scopes on my rifles. (Parts and guns inbound)

I need a spotting scope to see the 22 cal teeny holes in the paper at 100yds. My binoculars, all three, are worthless with my eyes.

Having nothing higher than 10x in binocular I figure a 30x + would be needed.

I will be using this for 100yd max shooting so I'm not looking for a $4K Leica Televid 82 for this application.

I also do not want a $34 Konus Handy-18 that is no more than a half set of poor binoculars.

egay and every sporting goods peddler has a $49.99 special economy scope and when I see them with an angled eyepiece in 20-60 x 60 I piss quiver at what the view would be!

I've set a budget of $100 - 150 and think this level of $ should return me what I need.

I have narrowed it down to the following because of;
    1. Name: Bushnell
    2. Magnification: 15-45 x 50
    3. Size: Compact
    4. Junk: Lots

[​IMG]

Anyone have one of these?

Anyone want to bash my selection?

Anyone have a suggestion?

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I don't have that scope but I do have a Bushnell 15-45x spotting scope. It is nie and clear I can see the shot makers at 1000 yards with no problem.

I think you made a good choice on your scope.

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I did not see a tripod with that. I've found spotting scopes very useful on top of the 3 leggers. Bushnell makes good glass. I've also seen some Zeiss' for a good price.

4. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Cane, I think you'll be O.K. with that scope at 100 yards, but it might be a good idea to grab up a couple or so of those spatter targets and take with you to the range just in case.

My scope is a 20-60X80 Leupold and I dont have to crank up the magnification anywhere near full tilt for .30 cal or larger at that range. However, for .22 cal I do have to go to near full magnification to easily see the POI.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It has a tripod.

[​IMG]

Bushnell 15-45x50 Spacemaster Spotting Scope
    Silver/Black
    Compact
    15-45x Zoom Eyepiece
    Free Compact Tripod w/ Purchase
    Free Car Window Mount w/ Purchase
    Free Aluminum-Frame Hard Case w/ Purchase
    Free Soft Case w/ Purchase
    Free Bonus 25x Eyepiece w/ Purchase

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

So, what is left to do, give them your shipping addy? :D

BTW, the car window mount is good for the personal kind of neighborhood watch. ;)

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Sorry I missed this thread the first time around. I have a cheapo 20-60x60 scope. I've seen it under several different names, Barska for one. It is usable at 100yds. At 300yds, it's completely useless. I would love to replace it with a better quality scope at some point.

11. Highpower

Highpower New Member

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's a $100 scope. It will do fine for me as I shoot 100 yds max.

I do not regret the purchase but think if you are shooting >100 yds I'd spend more for better glass! [​IMG]

13. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Is that gonna suit you for your new AR?