sporting clay chokes

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by shaneo206, Nov 28, 2010.

1. shaneo206

shaneo206 New Member

what is the best choke size to use for sporting clay? one that would work overall because i dont want to change chokes at every station. and also, do u think extended choke tubes are worth the extra money/what benefits do they offer?

2. Missileman

Missileman New Member

I'm not sure there's a good answer for this, as every station is different and could require a different choke. If I had to pick one I'd probably go with an Improved Cylinder or a Light Modified, but I've shot a lot of Sporting with a skeet choke also (more open than an IC). I'd probably go with the IC--I'd rather miss an occasional long shot because of an open pattern than handicap every close shot with too tight of a group. As far as extended chokes--my experience is every factory load/reload can be different (some will pattern better with extended chokes, some won't). But I think overall they're worth it--especially in Sporting as they are easier to change out between stations if you decide to do that. Good luck and enjoy!

3. RaySendero

RaySendero Member

I use a 12 gauge semi-auto with a screw-in Improved Cylinder (IC) choke.

I reload 2 different 1 oz loads - one with soft #9s and the other with extra hard #7½s.

Depending on the shot, I'll use the soft 9s for a little more open on the choke or the 7½s for a little tighter pattern.

4. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Thumbs up--that's a good strategy--I've seen others use it with success.

5. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

There is no Mans man single choke that we can all get along with? Not making fun of the skeet shooters but really are you serious? Modified

6. Missileman

Missileman New Member

We're talking sporting clays here, not skeet. Skeet uses 4 separate gauges and a single choke, sporting clays can or cannot, depending on the range, setup, shooter preference, etc. Has nothing to do with "manning up"--it's the same as saying "why does someone need a .22 for squirrels when a 458 Win Magnum will work...;)