sporadic misfire Remington 572 pump 22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by JibecSales, Nov 1, 2014.

1. JibecSales

JibecSales New Member

I assume it is the firing pin but I would like to know if someone else has an idea. I have a Remington 572 pump 22 that hits the case each time but does not fire all shells. Not an ammo issue. I have used several and does the same thing. I assume it is a firing pin but any other ideas if that doesn't work. It is not hitting hard enough in rim just wondering about possibilities.

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Check the chamber to see if it has a bad spot from being dry fired too much.
    Does the firing pin move freely?
    Could be a weak hammer spring.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

You can try cleaning the firing pin channel out really well. Old oil can gum up the channel, along with accumulation of other gunk over time.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If the firing pin channel is not full of trash it probably is the firing pin. The tip of the firing pin will break off. It is very difficult to see without a new firing pin to compare, unless you are a gunsmith who sees broken firing pins all the time.

5. JibecSales

JibecSales New Member

Thanks for the tips

6. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

A steel firing pin and brass .22 ctg case, with that pump remy to wear one out is kinda doubtfull, make sure the floating chamber is clean and moves as it should, most likely the bolt and trigger/ hammer group are gummy with powder residue and old varnished up lubricant.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  7. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

There is no floating chamber on a 572.

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

My Friend has the Same Rifle. His is 50 years old and looks Brand new. We shot some 22LR's and 22 Shorts through it. Not one mis-fire in 100 Rds we put through it...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

9. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Pops has a couple of standards. Promo crap Remington ammo (Thunderbolt?) blew up. Took out a 552 and a 572. Got parts and rebuilt them. Had the 572 completely apart...........not much to 'em really.

The BDL versions are silly on price. Those the scouts don't run, and they don't get promo ammo.

The scout's ammo was quarantined.

New stuff hasn't 'sploded any more rigs.