Split Lower

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Flint Rock, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

So, there I was. I was planning on just blasting off some ammo. A single mag of 9mm through my Bushmaster Carbon 15. Some Winchester 115 FMJ and some Atlanta Arms 147 JHP. After I finished shooting I started picking up the brass. That's when I started noticing that there was a lot of split cases. 13 out of 30 split wide open. The other cases were badly bulging at the base. As I was looking at the cases I noticed something on the gun, something bad. The lower receiver had cracked from one side to the other, just behind where the grip attaches to the receiver. Tomorrow I will be calling Bushmaster. I'm thinking warranty, but somehow I bet they blame it all on me.

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Good luck with the warranty claim. I'm interested in what they do or don't do for you.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

This is something that I have honest to God never seen. :eek:

PLEASE keep us informed of the process. If you could post some photos of the damage for future buyers, that would be a huge plus also.

Best of luck with Bushmaster!!

JD

4. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Wow, I agree with JD, please post some pictures. I would really like to see that damage.

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

But at least this is a good testament to the Carbon 15. Spilt open and still working.

Can't wait to see the pics.

6. moshpit

moshpit New Member

I'm not so sure of that though. The whole "split open" part when no known incident other then normal firing could have caused it, is quite worrying in itself.

Look at it like this, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Winchester 115gr ammo that busted anything, but I don't know anything about how hot Atlanta Arms rounds are. It could be nothing to do with firing at all and was some hidden manufacturing flaw that came to the surface, or it could have everything to do with the ammo used, or somewhere in the middle of the two even. As it is, I'll be following this thread closely as well to find out how it turns out.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Ouch!

Photos please and report on how Bushy responds.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Yeah, I know. Just trying to remain upbeat.

9. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Upbeat is good!

10. Westy

Westy New Member

I agree, it'd be nice to see the damage.

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I need to see some pictures of this. Please keep us up to date as to how they handle it. Custome service is a BIG deal to me.

12. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I have called Bushmaster about the gun. The good news is I was told that it would be repaired under warranty. The bad news, it may be 1-2 months as they are in the process of moving some of their operations. Bushmaster is paying the Fed Ex charges for shipping, so there is no cost for me.
    The first two pictires show the crack in the receiver, and the last pictures show some of the brass. The top row is the split cases, the bottom row is "just" bulging cases. The Bushmaster service rep didn't think the split cases and split receiver were related. I can't swallow that. The cases didn't use to split after firing. Now the receiver is split and the cases are splitting. Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, sounds like a duck,,,,,,,,, well, you get the idea.
    http://[​IMG]

13. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

After looking at the pictures I have a theory. The buffer is not touching the back of the bolt, so there is no resistence to the rearward movement of the shell/bolt after firing. The recoil spring holds the bolt closed for a nano secound when the pressure is high, but without that spring pushing forward the shell can start moving rearward while the pressure is high. With that rearward movement the casing becomes unsupported and the case ruptures.
    Just a theory, but I'll put a dollar on that theory.

14. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Well, first off, super kudos to Bushmaster for offering full warranty service, even if it will be slightly delayed due to technical circumstances. Just the fact that they'll accept responsibility for a defect and not put it off on you is very heartening.

15. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I shipped my rifle back on 4/28/2010. Still no word on when my rifle will be ready:mad::mad::mad:.

16. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Is there a captured nut or threaded insert for the pistol grip bolt? I was wondering if over tightening the bolt may have compromised the integrity of the receiver in the area of the split? Let us know if you ever find out what the cause was.

I'd bet on your theory as to the ruptured cases as well.

17. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Most likely not. Overtightening of the pistol grip bolt will split/damage the pistol grip long before it will damage the aluminum of the receiver.

18. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Not an aluminum reciever

19. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Then yup, that would do it for sure. In fact, looking at the damage itself, that looks like exactly what happened.

20. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

That's why I mentioned it...