Spirits (alcohol, not boo)

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by spittinfire, May 22, 2011.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

What did you teach? Marine Biology? :D

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

*snapping fingers* That's right. You're married. Now your post makes sense. :p

JD

3. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I really like Sobieski Vodka. I'm sure it's not a top shelf but it's the best of the low end IMO. $20 for a 1.5 liter bottle for a decent vodka is hard to beat.

The "best" though, that's the home made stuff.

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Speaking of college days and abusing cheap liquor...

We kept a wet bar in one of our closets stocked with the likes of El Matador, a no name chalky rum and vodka in a plastic bottle. To this day, I can't even smell any of that crap without gaging. The main reason I am a beer guy now. On very rare occasions, I can sip some good single malt. Even the aged CC makes me want to hurl. I can keep it down, but I have to work at it. :eek:

Jaeger, on the other hand is the choice for hiding rufies...

5. user4

user4 New Member

This is a total opinion poll to discover the favorite types and brands of hard alcohol. Being a whiskey (scotch) man, I've decided to branch out and stock my post apocalypse bar with some quality, yet not too brutally expensive liquid gold. I just bought some vodka the other day that smells and tastes like rubbing alcohol, so please feel free to chime in on your favorites in the vodka, rum, and tequila depts. You can toss in your favorite whiskeys, too, but if you say Glenlivet single malt, I'm going to punch you in the wiener. I can't afford that stuff and you probably can't either. Yes, it is the best, but I would like to keep it within the realm of alcohol, not mortgage payments. Someone PLEASE give me some insight on a decent vodka!

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  6. JonM

JonM Moderator

my all time favorite is prolly knob creek bourbon. since i dont drink very much anymore due to medication restrictions its very affordable.

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Tito's FTW. Made right here in Austin, TX. Keep it local.....and it holds its own with all the big-name imports.

Attached Files:

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Knob Creek is good. Waterford Reserve better. Vodka? Stoly.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

"Decent" vodka for a fair price?

Zyr Vodka

This stuff is great, won't break the bank and can be mixed with anything you desire. I love this stuff, but it's not available everywhere, so I have to order mine in from out of state.

The best Rum, in our house opinion, is Bacardi Superior white rum. It's clean, it mixes well and the history of the family is just steeped in tradition and love for what they do.

Both are very well priced and both get the job done without heartburn, night sweats or giving you a pucker face like you just sat on a sour grape. :eek:

JD

10. user4

user4 New Member

That's the second time I heard Titos.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

C'mon man....you're in Texas!

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Tito's is a good medium shelf vodka. I would not put it against the top tier stuff for sipping, but the price is right and you get a good quality vodka for the money.

I don't find it as pure as others, but for the price, it's a great mixer.

13. user4

user4 New Member

True, but i don't hang around the types that know their alcohol ;)

14. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I'm a Gordon's or Tanquery Gin, Skyy or Stolichnaya Vodka, Jack Daniels, type, when I'm not drinking a good wine of my home brew.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Soooooo, I won't be invited over to the Young Connor Stronghold after the Zombies Invade?? :eek::(

16. user4

user4 New Member

See, Skyy is that foul tasting crap I spoke of earlier. Jack is always on hand in my home.

17. user4

user4 New Member

On the contrary. When you arrive, you'll be made his godfather.

Oh, and I agree about Bacardi superior white. Didn't know if there were others worth exploring.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Bourbon? Gods Gift to the palate

Ya mean Woodford Reserve C3?

[​IMG]

But that is saved for the first Saturday in May and other religious ceremonies.

For saving a buck on a good sippin' Bourbon, you will not find a better than:

[​IMG]

Ezra Brooks 90 MPH Kentucky Straight Bourbon. (< thats a period and it has a cork!)

Vodka?

Meh.

Mas Tequila? Fu(k the Bu(k!

Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice ...
    I say,
    One shot...Hey! Mas Tequila-
    Two shots...Hey! Hey! que veneno-
    Three shots...Hey! Arriba! Hey! Hey! Hey! Mas Tequila!
    woo​

[​IMG]

Rum?

Only one:

[​IMG]

Is there more?

19. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Nice. I shall impart all the small arms wisdom I can as I will have no offspring to share it with it. ;)

As for the Rum. Not really in our realm, and we have tried every rum out there as we both love Mojitos. The one, lone, dark rum that I would recommend for the Rum and Coke folks is Sailor Jerry. He makes a good rum, but it's a dark rum, so the taste is a little more aggressive and doesn't blend well with "lighter" drinks like a painkiller or a mojito.

Whatever you do, don't spend the money on the cool bottle for the Pyrat Rum with the medallion around the neck. Disappointment galore, but a good looking bottle... LOL :cool:

JD

20. user4

user4 New Member