Spike's Tactical .22 upper

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by ccd8541, Jun 6, 2009.

1. ccd8541

ccd8541 New Member

Bit windy for shooting a .22 at 50yds today. Scope was already on so gave it a run with several brands of ammo.

[​IMG]

Tgt @50 yds., 1.5" pasties. Groups improved towards the end(except the Remington), maybe I was getting used to the pounding recoil....
    [​IMG]
    Two three shot groups at the bottom right were w/ the red dot at 25yds. The Winchester 333 will be the main ammunition I try and stock up on, best 'bang for the buck'. The Remington sucked. Probably ran about a 30% malfunction rate. Majority were failure to fire, the firing pin does not get a long bite into the rim and result in the failure to fire. None of the other brands seemed to have this problem.

-cont-

2. ccd8541

ccd8541 New Member

-cont-
    Had one of these:
    [​IMG]

and a few of these:
    [​IMG]

I started out with the weapon fairly 'dry', per directions. Added a bit of oil after a few hundred rounds and the reliability improved.

In all I probably fired about 400rds, majority of it at 25yds and some at 50 and 100yds on steel. POI=POA at 50yds and looks about 8" low at 100yds, this is with the Win. 333.

[​IMG]

Cleaned it up and will hit the range with it again tomorrow.

Spike's Tactical

3. ccd8541

ccd8541 New Member

Day two:

Left the red dot on the upper and shot some five shot groups at 50yds, benched, pack, no rear rest:

[​IMG]

Top: CCI Green Tag, 1.35", .85"
    Left: Wolf Target, 1.45", 1.55"
    Right: Fiocchi sm340, 1.5", 1.0"
    Left: Winchester. 333, 2.76", 1.5"
    Right: Remington, 1.64", 3.5"

A person might get sub 1" consistently w/ some of the match ammo, if using a scope and a solid bench/prone position.

I did a five shot string from; offhand(green), kneeling(yellow) and prone. CCI Green Tag @ 50yds:
    [​IMG]

Spent several hundred rounds off the timer working on first shot and tgt transition speed:
    [​IMG]

The Remington bulk ammo is nothing but a pain in the ***, multiple failures(fire, chamber, extract) about 100rds fired. The Winchester had one failure(stovepipe) out of about 100rds fired. The other ammunition was failure free, about 50rds of match ammo.

[​IMG]

4. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

Impressive..... I am talking of the 1911 you have in holster in last pic of course.:D

How much does one of the conversion units cost for that AR platform? and how many mags does it come with?

5. ccd8541

ccd8541 New Member

The 1911 is a Springfield frame w/ an Advantage Arms .22 slide.

I payed just under $600.00 w/ three mags and shipping. I ordered it through a friend, I'm not sure on retail pricing/options/mags etc.

6. ccd8541

ccd8541 New Member

*this was as of June 17th, posted elsewhere but forgot to put it here*

So, after a little over 4,500rds....about 30% was fired from a benched position and the rest was shot on drills for speed/multiple tgts/improvised positions etc. Shot steel and paper at ranges of 3yds to 200m. Tried it w/ our red dot, .22 scope and 1-4x. I will keep the red dot mounted.

Ammo:
    CCI Blazer(750+rds fired) gets the nod as the pick for accuracy/reliability/cost
    Aguila Intereceptor(750+) was the most reliable but gives up some accuracy and is about twice the cost of the Blazer.
    Aguila Match(1000+) might edge the Blazer in absolute accuracy, is about as reliable, little less energy/velocity and costs a few $$ more.
    CCI Mini Mag(200)- eh, did not impress
    CCI Green Tag(100)- I forget, I think the Wolf was better
    Remington Gold bullets(550+)- suck
    Remington Lightning(500+) -accuracy sucks, ok reliability
    Fiocchi sm340(20+)- suck
    Winchester '333'(600+) good reliability/accuracy/price but the Blazer is better
    Wolf(100+)- accurate but weak, same price range as the Aguila Int.
    Federal(misc. bulk in ammo can)(200+rds)

Started out with some reliability problems(feeding, extraction and ignition) and found some information suggesting that reducing the recoil spring was a possible answer, trimmed some coils, decreased the length from about 8.75" to 7.25", and it seemed to help but not cure the problem. When I ordered the Aguila Int ammunition I also bought another recoil spring figuring that it would probably need to be longer due to the extra energy. They are around 11" and I trimmed it to 9.75" for a starting point. It has run great at that length for the majority of the ammunition....I think it is a little heavy for Wolf and the lower velocity stuff but runs great w/ stuff around 1100fps or faster.

Lubrication, hardly any. Two small dabs of grease on wear points for the rails is all that I have used and seems to work fine. Typically clean it *cough* about every 500rds....yes, I do.

7. ccd8541

ccd8541 New Member

Most was from the ST22 w/ 16" barrel. 10/22 has an 18" barrel. Chrono is at 5ft.
    [​IMG]
    10/22 used in the first four and ST22 in the last two
    [​IMG]
    (distance for chrono is 10ft for the last two results vs 5ft for all the other shots)

[​IMG]

Most were 10 shot strings; one of the last strings of Aguila Int was five shots and the sm340 w/ 10/22 was only five(I have done this ammo in the past and it is consistent)

8. ccd8541

ccd8541 New Member

[​IMG]
    Blazer fired off a double, that is the high flyer way out of the group, did not count it.

[​IMG]

Shot the sm340 as a 'baseline' and to see that the chrono was ok.
    Yellow Jacket has a 33gr HP, two Aguilla loads have a 30gr bullets, Win 40gr solid, sm340 40gr solid.