Spikes, Noveski, or Mega forged stripped lower. Which one?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ccase39, Feb 15, 2014.

1. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

What would you choose between the Spikes, Noveski, or Mega lowers out of these

Noveski

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=729

Mega

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=121

Spikes

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/sss/lower-multi-forged-spider-bullet-markings-p-52.html

I'm not too concerned about price but if one is not significantly superior to the other obviously
    I would go with the cheaper. Anyway which one would you recommend?

I like the roll marks on all of them.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Long as they are dimensionally milspec only diff is price and roll mark. The upper reciever is the half that matters.

If you are lucky sucker that has a nfa dropin auto sear whether it has a shelf or not matters.

3. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

I would go with the Noveske. I'm a Noveske whore however.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

This.

Between Quality lowers, a lower is a lower and 95% of an AR rifles reliability and accuracy lives in the upper.

5. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

They are all equally good. Pretty sure the Noveske would have a higher resale value than the other two though (if you ever decide to sell).

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

There's only about 4 Manufacturer's that even Forge/Manufacturer Lowers. There's Mega, LMT, LAR, and ? Only the Rollmarks are changed, how much better refined(finished) and what type Coatings/Treatments that Company wants.

Noveske is great, while Spikes is just as good, though doesn't have the prestige, and MEGA is sitting back collecting money because they possibly made the other two--but not positive.

Ok, found my info on some Lowers. This is a little old, so things could of changed.

There's MMS(Mega Machine Shop), CMT(Continental Machine & Tool), LAR(LAR Grizzly), LMT(Lewis Machine & Tool).
    MMS makes the Mega and Spike's Tactical(old)
    LAR makes Spike's Tactical(new) and Noveske(new).
    Difference between old and new is what year the contract was made up for the Manufacturer. That's between the Companies.
    Manufacturer's change between Forge Makers when the need arises for supplies.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

My call would be Noveske or Spikes! I know who makes both receivers as they do for other well known companies. The other I am not sure of!
    Other good ones made by the same companies are Stag, Rock River, Novske and others the other Spikes, Bushmaster, DPMS, and others. So these receivers are good and realy does not matter regarding one or the others! Can't go wrong with either!

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Any of those would be fine. The Noveske has a nicely flared magwell, maybe the others do too - I didn't bother to check. Go with the one you like best. Don't forget there's a lower receiver sticky if you want more choices.

Myself, I don't mind paying a little more for the lower I like best. Say it's an extra $50, big deal when you look at the total cost of the AR. So get what you want, you'll be glad you didn't get a dorky rollmark.

9. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I like the roll marks on the Spikes the best so that may be the direction I go. Next is the Mega and I am not a huge fan of them on the Noveske but I did not even take resale value into consideration. Thanks for all the help guys!

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

They're all gonna perform the same.

The Noveske can improve your rifle's value by $100-200 on the resale market (provided it's a well designed build). It's the most 'desireable' lower of the three. Not fuctionally better...just trendier.

I'd build a $1500 gun on any of them. My preference would be Noveske (clear #1), followed by Mega narrowly over Spike's. Totally personal preference. The extra money spent on the Noveske could come back to you twice over if you sell the rifle. How do I know? Let's just say I've built a few rifles on Noveske lowers...

11. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Me, another Noveske whore here. I'd go with Noveske.
    I have Mega and Spike's too, will go with Mega next and Spike's the last.
    FYI, i handled lots of Spike's and my last Spike's which i encountered were not as good as the early ones. Maybe they used different manufacturers.