Speer reloading data

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by bowhunter17, Dec 30, 2013.

1. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

So, I have 150 grain hot cor bullets and hogdon bl-c(2). Neither website (hogdon or Speer) has any reloading data for that bullet powder combo. The label on the powder says 48 grains for a 150 grain nosler boat tail bullet as a maximum load. Can that data be used as long as I use a 150 gr bullet? I wouldn't use the maximum load at first of course. Does anyone have a Speer reloading manual that has data for 150 gr hot cor bullets? (.308) I only have a Lyman manual right now. Help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

what cartridge you are trying to reload for would be nice. there are a multitude of cartridges that can use a .308 diameter bullet and their powder charges can vary by a huge factor.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Any lead core 150 gr bullet data can be used. Of course you must drop the charge at least 10% and work up.

A solid copper bullet (such as the Barnes uses unique data)

4. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

5. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Speer data for 150 grain hot core and BL-C2 powder.
    starting load - 40 grains
    max load - 44 grains

I would think that 48 grains would be pretty hot. Start low, work up, look for pressure signs.

cottontop

6. mseric

mseric New Member

You will never be able to match all the components exactly. Manuals are not recipes, only a set of guidelines. That is why they list a "Start" and "Max".

Do not go below "Start" and do not go above "max". If the data lists one charge only, that is considered "max" and the "start" charge should be 10% less. When someone says to drop the charge down by 10% , they do Not mean 10% of Min/start, they mean 10% of Max.

It is perfectly acceptable to use load data with Same Weight and Similar Construction from different manufacturers and designs. So, with your Speer copper jacketed cup-n-core bullet you can use data from other copper jacketed cup-n-core bullets.

It is best to gather as much data as possible from as many sources as you can find.

For the 308 Win with 150gr bullets with BLC-2 I found this.

Lyman 48, Start-44gr...Max-49gr

Hodgdon, Start-45gr...Max-48gr

Speer #13, Start-40gr...Max-44gr

Sierra #5, Start-43.6gr...Max-48.4gr

When I find an odd duck in the mix like the Speer data above, I usually drop that one. I keep it in mind and I don't forget it, but I kinda ignore it when working up a load.

That said, With the above data, I would start at 43.5gr and work up towards a max of 49gr in .5gr increments. Three of each.

7. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

Thanks mseric. That helps a lot. For my first batch I decided to use the 43.2 grains of the bl-c(2) with the hot core bullets and cci 200 primers. I will experiment w/ slightly different powder charges like you said with my other 40 cases. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1388483528.592776.jpg

8. mseric

mseric New Member

I generally don't load up a bunch of ammo like that when trying new bullets or powder.

I load 3 of each in small increments from start to max.

This gives the opportunity to look for that accuracy node and also keep an eye out for pressure. It also reduces the chance that I have to pull several bullets for whatever reason. YMMV

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I agree with mseric,your going about your reloading for a load "ALL" wrong.

To find the best load for your rifles,you will need to load test loads in several different powder charges.While the load you worked up may shoot great,it could also shoot terrible,and you just wasted a bunch of time loading all of those shells.
    I usually start at the Minimum charge,and work in +.5 grain increments up to the Maximum charge for each bullet and powder combination.
    If you load 3-5 cartridges of each powder charge,you will be able to see what loads your rifle performs best at.

10. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

Thanks for all of the help guys. I will load my other 40 cases with the increasing increments of .3 grains and shoot that batch first. If those work out well, then I will use the first 20 that I made also.