Speedtraps

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Oct 23, 2020.

1. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Public service announcement.

With the holidays approaching and folks travelling (hopefully!) I thought it would d be a good time to bring this up.

Check:
    www.speedtrap.org
    Nationwide info on the worst offenders broken down by state and town.
    Happy motoring.

2. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

THANKS ! This works great. Municipal ticket money in Missouri goes to City coffers. Tickets written by troopers and deputies go to the county pujblic school fund. Court costs are usually more than the fine, support everything from the county law library to clerk's retirement. I signed up to access this. Thanks again.

JimRau and winds-of-change like this.

3. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

I eat in the same restaurant as the local cops. Sheriffs deputies and state police talk about making their quota for the month. they definitely have quotas.

local speed trap is where the speed drops from 65 on the road to 40 going through a burg of 65 people. the speed could actually be 65 for another mile - across the river through the woods, slow down before the railroad tracks - the location is rather arbitrary. cops hiding behind a historical marker sign. locals jump on the brakes just before the last bend in the road, tourists pass them going 65. how stupid do you have to be to do the opposite of the locals?

ellis36 and winds-of-change like this.
  4. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Some years ago I had a friend that was a sheriff's deputy and one day I saw him with radar along a quiet stretch of road. I purposely sped up and went by him, nothing ! So I turned around and did it again, still nothing. So I pulled up along side of him and he was reading a book ! I teased him about that for some time until he would pull into our driveway and put the lights on and over his loudspeaker yell " I know you're in there Peterson, come out with your hands up". My wife would get so embarresed and it sure made the neighbors look. He got a kick out of it.

Fred_G, OLD Ron, primer1 and 3 others like this.
  5. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

How strict are police on speeding in America. I have being stopped and told to slow down for example, no ticket.

6. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

Depends on the cop, depends on the road, depends on your speed, depends on your vehicle, depends on your age, etc... There used to be a deputy back home that would pull over teenagers & give them a warning for 5 over the limit & ticket at 6. But i've seen people doing 10 over on the interstate & highway patrol wouldn't bat an eye.

On the interstate west of town, the limit drops from 75 to 60 on the outskirts, highway patrol gets alot of tickets from out of staters on that. About once a month it makes the news that they pulled someone over for speeding on that stretch & further investigation finds several pounds of drugs in the car. You would think if you were running drugs, you would want to pay a little more attention to the speed limits.

Fred_G likes this.
  7. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

NM written law is, officer has discretion up to ten over, must cite over 10 over. making me believe everybody who passes me at my maximum 83 is a RADAR detector.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Manta- here in the states, a traffic citation can be for a violation of the State traffic code, or for an identical city/ county ordinance. The difference is that if I wrote you a citation as a statey, the fine went to the State Literary Fund, which buys books for schools and libraries. But get stopped by a city or county officer, the fines go to that governing body.

USUALLY not a big issue, but there spots that have become notorious for waiting to waylay the unwary traveler. Hence the name "speed trap". Years before the Interstate Highway system, there was a small town in the beautiful state of North Carolina that had ONE traffic light, and ONE police officer- and that was the source of their entire budget. Since the light could be overridden by a switch in the office of the magistrate, who kept an eye out for out off state plates. Back then, rule was out-of-stater, either pay the fine right then, post REALLY high bail, or sit in jail until court met again. Maybe in 2 weeks....

There is one small city here in my home state that has ONE miles of an Interstate that passes thru their city limits. They were patrolling the hell out of that mile, and writing a couple of million $$$ a year in tickets. State legislature passed a law that limits how much revenue they can derive from tickets- reach that, the state starts witholding dollar for dollar in STATE funding- that has cooled down a lot.

Our informal rule was "At nine, yer fine. At ten, yer mine" But truthfully, clear weather, traffic moving well, 15 over the limit did not get you pulled unless you were tailgating, cutting in and out of traffic- general asshattery.

manta likes this.
  9. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

My soon to be former city generated a lot of income due to decreased speed limits. 45 --> 40 --> 30. The number of people that are still doing 45 is substantial. Former next door neighbor got hit twice in one month. Really, is it that hard to slow down, you're driving next to the city park your kids play at!

primer1 likes this.
  10. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

11. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

A couple days ago, I was on a lonely stretch of highway and opened up the old V8 around a gradual curve. Wouldn't ya know it, there was a statey coming right at me. I was at least 15 over, he was looking down when I passed him, probably on his phone.

I'm not going to jinx myself by getting on the speed trap sight. I rarely speed, if anything I'm usually going 5-10 under the limit unless someone is behind me. Quiet rural roads are good for just cruising.

ellis36 likes this.
  12. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

I rarely do more than 4 to 5 mph over the speed limit. So far, only been stopped for 'speeding' once. I was not speeding, and eventually got no ticket.

13. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I looked at the site, at a local city. The information was wrong. It claimed massive speed traps on a daily basis, in an area that I traveled daily, and it was simply untrue. Yes, there were occasional speed traps on the interstate, but nothing like what was described.

I live near the interstate way out in the middle of nowhere. Now there are frequent speed traps here. I see the airplane circling on a regular basis, and know that there are a half dozen troopers, under an overpass, waiting for the next speeder.

Florida troopers are generally good cops, I don't know of anyone, in years, who has gotten a speeding ticket for under 10 miles over the posted limit. The Troopers are also very polite and respectful. They will write you a $500.00 three point ticket and leave you feeling good about it. ;)

The most interesting "trap" I ever saw, was way out in the country and a remote interstate exit, multiple agencies worked together and placed a lighted sign on the interstate that said, SHERIFF'S DRUG CHECK POINT AHEAD be prepared to stop. There wasn't a "check point" on the interstate, of course, but on the next rural exit ahead, just out of the site of the interstate. That was my regular exit, when I went through the check point, and showed my license, the trooper was all smiles. They had about ten cop cars from various agencies there, dogs, tow trucks, and a school bus for the folks arrested on various charges. They had apparently had a banner day as there were many unhappy faces on the bus.

I don't know how often that they ran that sting, I only saw that "trap" set up twice." I suspect that the courts put an end to it.

boatme98 likes this.
  14. boatme98

A lot of central and west Florida were traps back in the day. Mostly in the little towns.
    Georgia now, is and always has been one giant speed trap. I hate travelling through the state. Yes, I've been nailed a few times there. Always on a holiday weekend, out in the middle of nowhere where they give you the old "you can pay now or wait in jail until the judge comes back from vacation" b. s.

OLD Ron likes this.
  15. BK3220

BK3220 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I did a ride-along with a county deputy many years ago as part of a citizen academy. He generally gave warnings unless someone was doing something stupid or reckless. I asked if anyone got upset about getting pulled over, he said only people headed to the lakes for the weekend. The state highway just south of our farm is a main route from Fargo- Moorhead to the lakes. A state trooper friend of my dads set up over a hilltop there a few years ago. Seventeen in an hour over seventy. We try to avoid that road Friday and Sunday evenings in the summer. No-Daks have no idea what a no passing zone sign or a double yellow center line means.

primer1 likes this.
  16. boatme98

I'd even avoid Georgia on the boat if I could. On the ICW it's 150 miles from Hilton Head SC to Fernandina Beach, Fl.
    By ocean it's about 100 miles.

The ICW does more east to west in Ga. than north/south. It's shoaled almost all the way with all the rivers and marshes and takes 2 whole days to traverse.

If the weather was decent I could hop outside at H.H. and cruise the ocean all the way to Fernandina. In about 13 hours, saving a whole day.

Attached Files:

OLD Ron likes this.
  17. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Here in our county and most others if they stopped you it was a warning or you are going to jail, no tickets. After 9/11 and the RINOs and Democrats and Homeland Security they started writing tickets. Tickets were/are $2.00 or so but Court costs are over a hundred, Counties Services lobbying group are responsible for that. Walnut paneled Judges Chambers, huge salaries for small jobs and so on. If you get a ticket now, state, county or city it will say division of Homeland Security. Vertical integration, training everything into a national police force and tickets are de rigueur. Schumer and Pelosi and Bush were around in 2002-, remember
    In Georgia a lake near Weiss Lake, the whole country was operated as a speed trap. They had a card machine in the court room and lines out the door every session!
    In Tn State stopped number of Speed Traps years ago. On I24 north of Nashville, small towns expanded their jurisdictions to include a mile or two of the Interstates, and operated Speed Traps...and some of these Bergs did not even bother with annexation. They wrote tickets our of their jurisdiction. I16 in Georgia is still speed trap heaven for the GSP. The counties get their share of revenue from the tickets just as they do in Tennessee and pressure the State to write tickets. Don't let them tell you they don't! Tennessee is not near as bad. Most traffic stops on the Interstates are drug suspicion stops it seems. Big money if they catch someone here and all the states.

18. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Boat, thanks for the reminder.

There are a couple of known spots near where I live.

Back in the day, in another state, I lived in a place with a handful of typical zones. Almost all of them had speed changes (drops) that were significant. And they'd generally camp out at the next "blind" corner following the speed change.

These days, it's unusual to see marked patrol cars doing traffic stops. Invariably, it's the unmarked cars that'll get you.

That said: I can't recall the last time I was stopped for speeding. I think it's when I was in a 65mph zone with the cruise-control set to 65, but a sluggish marked patrol vehicle was refusing to go 65 in the #2 lane. So I just passed him at the 65mph cruise speed ... which cranked his motor, that someone would dare pass him when he was clearly attempting to keep people from doing so. (Or so I could surmise from his wild gesticulations and enraged face. What a putz. Never saw that guy in a car again; I suspect he'd "earned" a desk job at some point. [Small town.])

Gotta love speed "traps."

Anymore, I drive like an old granny, more or less. Usually at the posted speed limit, or slightly above if the road warrants it. Of course, I get a ton of tailgaters, some extraordinarily aggressive, a few occasionally violent. Typical of the worst, angriest drivers, I think.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    primer1 and boatme98 like this.
  19. TimKS

TimKS Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I heard a story from my daughter's friend.....

She and her boyfriend were driving to a wedding in TX .......traveling Friday afternoon for the wedding on Sat. She had to pee so they pulled off the interstate in Love Co. Oklahoma, found an out of the way place, with no visible approaching traffic and proceeded to drop her drawers and pee......when she pulled up her drawers she found an off duty cop had pulled up to arrested her....for a felony charge no less......exposing her buttocks in public. She was forced to spend the weekend in jail until a judge was available to set her bail on Monday. With attorney fees, bail, etc. she has spend $10k already and may have to register as a 'sex offender' yet.....possibly loosing custody of her kids. Court has not been held yet, but that is how a few cops can give a bad name to the rest. Love Co., Oklahoma has some screwed up laws & police.

primer1 likes this.
  20. boatme98

G66, me too. Geeze driving nowadays. My cars haven't been over 40 in a few years.