Speedmaster Question

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Oaktree45, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Oaktree45

Oaktree45 Well-Known Member

I have a Remington Speedmaster 552 that shoots 22 short, long, and long rifle. This rifle has been in the family probably since the early 60's. I can not find a serial number on it anywhere. I've looked in all the normal places. Am I missing it or did Remington not put serial numbers on early version of this rifle? As usual any help is appreciated.

Rifling82 and towboater like this.
  2. Oaktree45

In doing more research I believe the early Speedmaster 552's did not have a serial number.

towboater likes this.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

552 Model Rifles. Remington added serial numbers in Oct 1967. Some earlier rifles have a serial number stamped on the barrel just ahead of the fore-arm. It is slightly offset from the bottom of the barrel.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Prior to 1968,Firearms weren't required to have serial #'s.

Rifling82 and elfmdl like this.
  5. Oaktree45

The lack of a serial number caught me off guard. Every other gun I've owned had a serial number.

Rifling82 likes this.
  6. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

I got a 572 BDL from an estate...........minty................no serial #.
    Did not look up bbl code for date of manufacture, just knew it was pre 68 LOL
    Low comb and scoped, just didn't work for me.
    Traded back where I got it a couple yrs later.

Never did get a high comb version. Pops did. They are expensive these days.

sheriffjohn and Oaktree45 like this.
  7. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

I know one thing about mine. It holds a buttload of shorts and works great wit everything except CB caps and even those will cycle manually. Another example of old school quality missing today.

Oaktree45 and primer1 like this.
  8. Hookeye

CB shorts worked fine in mine as fast as I could shoot em.
    IIRC it held like 25 or something crazy like that.

Oaktree45 and sheriffjohn like this.
  9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

FWIW- THE 1934 National firearms Act required serial number on HANDGUNS. Not until 1968 Gun Control Act were SNs required on rifles and shotguns. Most 22 rifles were not serially numbered due to cost until 1968. I have about a dozen Mossberg 22 rifles that have never worn a SN- and yes, they are perfectly legal. However, do NOT remove or deface an existing SN, no matter the age- VERY bad ju-ju.

And on the Remington 552s, and the 550-1 (floating chamber guns) try a box of CCI CB Longs. Quieter than a short, they cycle semi auto thru several of my Remmies- pafpafpafpaf Which puzzles the heck out of the folks at the range!

For those that want to decipher the date of manufacture of a Remington that has the original barrel, you may find this useful: https://www.remingtonsociety.org/manufacture-dates/

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Oaktree45 and primer1 like this.
  10. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Yours is possibly cleaner than mine . I really like .22 short hollow points for squirrels, the Remington and Winchester 74 are two of my favorite squirrel guns. Quiet and don't tear up meat. Sometimes when they're cutting nuts other squirrels don't even notice when you shoot.

Oaktree45 likes this.
  11. Hookeye

I always shot CB shorts, not reg shorts.
    Wanted polite pest control. Shoot a tree rat behind shoulder and they run off the limb like a lung shot deer.

I have some CB left to try in my bolt gun. But also some CCI quiet ( long rifle- should feed well, wont cycle my 1022- so it becomes a straight pull bolt action LOL )

sheriffjohn likes this.