Speed vs Accuracy

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by JimDuncan, Oct 24, 2007.

1. JimDuncan

JimDuncan New Member

Why is accuracy more important than speed in firearms training?

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Because it does matter how fast you can shoot at a bad guy if you can not hit him.

If you shoot 24" groups at 5sec but you shoot 8" groups at 7.5 seconds then you are 3 times more likely to hit your target.

3. Bidah

Bidah New Member

A fast miss is worse than a slow hit.. :)

-Bidah

4. oldandslow

oldandslow New Member

Jim,

Good question. In firearms training there is a natural progression from the basics to the advanced, which I list as follows:

1. Safety- before speed or accuracy there must be safety. You'd be
    surprised at the dangerous / unsafe things untrained shooters do
    every day at the range or in the woods. When there is a shooting
    accident all shooters suffer as the anti-gun nuts try and place more
    restrictions on those of us who use firearms safely.

2. Accuracy- If you can't hit what you are aiming at there is no use
    owning or using a firearm. One needs to train how to hit one or more targets multiple times from different shooting positions, preferably with some low light shooting thrown in as well since many defensive shootings occur during periods of low-lighting.

3. Speed will come naturally as you build up muscle memory. Training
    with someone else who is proficient or training at one of the many fine
    training schools is a great way to realize your full potential for both
    accuracy and speed.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes- oldandslow

5. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

One well placed shot will do a hell of a lot more than 10 really fast shots.

6. MostlyGenius

MostlyGenius New Member

I think it was Wyatt Earp who said

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. Learn to take your time in a hurry."

7. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

Hey that is, really, a very good reply!

Now if we could just get you to post while keeping your thumb off the damned space bar. (Because it makes it very difficult to quote you!) ;)

NOT if you want to make the guy dance! :p

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  8. h&k bigdaddydieseldan

h&k bigdaddydieseldan New Member

Well said Matt couldn't have said it any better myself :cool::cool::cool:

9. Rob Pincus

Rob Pincus New Member

FWIW, I would say that there is some significant information missing from that statement....

If the 10 really fast shots are placed "well enough" and fired more quickly than the 1 well placed shot, then they are, objectively, better.

This is one of the problems with these types of discussions. If the assumption is that "fast" shots miss, then they ARE worthless... but we could also make the assumption that a "well placed" shot could take too long in a realistic setting and therefore it is also useless if you're already fatally wounded (or the person you are trying to protect is).

There needs to be a Balance Between Speed & Precision and statements made in regard to speed and accuracy should be qualified and complete to really mean anything. It is not something that should be over-simplified.

Here is a link to my podcast, there is an episode discussing this topic that can be found there: Combat Focus Podcast

-RJP

10. blackdiamond13

blackdiamond13 New Member

are there any hand eye exercises one can do to improve accuracy, say, when you're waiting for a bus, or even sitting on a bus?

11. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

Well, yes, as a matter of fact there are. However, such practice drills tend to make the other bus riders really really nervous. :D

Seriously, if you want to develop your hand/eye coordination there are several things that you can do. First, you need to determine which one of your eyes is the, 'master eye'.

An easy way to do this is to raise a finger in front of your nose and, then, exactly point it at a small object across the room. Now, close one eye. If the object remains at the end of your finger then the open eye is the master. If, however, the object jumps to one side, then, the eye you just closed is the master eye.

Now that you know which eye is the master, you can begin working on developing your trigger control and point shooting skills. The easiest way to do this is to use a pistol laser. (You don't want to do this in public!) If you can't afford a pistol laser, then, all you need is a large (say, 5' high x 3' wide) white paper target. Draw and fire at anyone of several preselected spots on this target. If you miss with the first shot, try firing a couple of immediate follow-up shots and see if you can walk your bullets' POI's into where you want them to be.

Don't make the mistake of attempting to shoot for accuracy; shoot, instead, for THE SIZE of the general group. What you're actually working on is to reduce the size of any group you fire. This type of pistol training develops your proprioceptive skills. (This is a fancy way to say, 'physical reflexes and spatial perception'.)

While you're learning it is a good idea to draw several times without firing for every other time you actually draw AND fire at the same time. Of course I've practiced like this for many years; but, by constantly following this procedure, I finally became a much better than average point shooter. One of the tricks to this is to start in close at, say, 5 - 7 1/2 yards. Continue to work in close like this until your groups are what they really should be with no, (or very few) 'fliers'. Move back as you improve.

Personally, I've never found a good reason to attempt to point shoot much beyond 15 yards; and, oh yeah, make sure you never practice with anything other than an OTB holster that is securely fastened to your belt - An open top Kydex or polymer model holster is highly recommended!

There is another, 'poor man's way' to practice point shooting: Get yourself a small flashlight with a focused beam. Raise it quickly from your side and attempt to light up small nearby objects. (Again, I wouldn't bother people at the bus stop with any of this!) ;)

Finally, when you're at home, try to get in two or three 15 minute dry firing sessions each day. The world is full of pistol instructors who will tell you, over and over again, to watch the front sight. I will tell you to learn how to control it, instead. In order to do this you must, first, develop the correct grip. Which, of course, brings up the intriguing question: How do you develop a correct grip? :confused:

I've got 50 years of pistol shooting and training experience that says if you don't know how to control the pistol's backstrap then you're going to have a really hard time trying to watch that front sight. (And, at today's ammo prices, I don't even want to imagine how many thousands of rounds you're going to have to fire before you begin to subconsciously appreciate what I've just said to you.)

All the trigger control in the world ain't going to do you a bit of good if you haven't, first, learned how to control the pistol's backstrap. It's because of this type of experience and perception that I've been able to take crappy sub par pistol shooters, spend several hours with them, and turn these people into pistoleros that, either, showed some real promise or whom I could genuinely admire. :cool: