Speed strips vs speed loaders?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by SRK97, Jul 14, 2013.

1. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Does anyone carry speed loaders in their pocket, and about how much slower is a speed strip. Also does anyone carry speed strips/loaders with lead bullets? I was wondering if the lead bullets would get scratched up easily in the pocket.

2. danolator

danolator New Member

I carry speed strips when holstering my .357, but I don't carry a revolver in a city situation....only camping. Speed strips are much slower. I wouldn't rely on them if you need to reload quickly. Changing out magazines is the fastest and most efficient and that's why most people carry semi-autos now.

3. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Speed loaders can be quite fast indeed.
    Especially the new spring loaed ones are just about as fast in reload as a magazine, though a slighlty higher skill level is required.

4. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I have practiced with speed strips, speed loaders, and loose rounds. I can load loose rounds as quickly as I can use a speed loader, with the speed strips about 2 seconds behind.

5. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Have you tried those Safariland spring loaded speedloaders?
    they are FAST :)

6. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Has anyone ever seen Jerry Michelek (sp?) work a speedloader? I'm not sure a magazine is much faster.

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Speedloaders can be very fast. Last Saturday I shot at an IDPA competition with a S&W 629 44 mag. I normally shoot a 1911. But I wanted to change it up a bit. I have used speed loaders before. I was using the cheap HKS ones. Safariland doesn't make the good ones for the 44. There were 52 shooters. 3 of us used revolvers. I forgot to shoot a target. That was a massive penalty. But even with that big penalty, I beat 18 people using autos with my revolver. A practiced person with a revolver is not someone to be overlooked.

8. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Add to that the superior balance of a .357 Mag (lots of power combined with still good controllability) and the better pointability and accuracy of a revolver and I feel very confident taking on guys with semiautoloaders.

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

In response to the original question...I have carried a speed loader in my pocket many times. But I shoot them every now and then. I haven't seen any damage yet.

I do not carry lead bullets for self defense. I usually carry jacketed hollow point ammo.

10. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

When I shot revolver comp. I used Jetloaders, and to this day when I'm at the range I still use them. I use speed strips when I CC a wheel gun

11. phildenton

phildenton New Member

If im going into a rough neighborhood i carry 2 speedloaders, i only own and have used the hks, but id really like to try the safariland ones.

12. steve666

steve666 New Member

I have carried both, it depends on what I am wearing. The speed strips are infinitely more concealable unless you are wearing a jacket or something with loose pockets. A speed strip will fit perfectly in the little pocket on a pair of jeans. When I carry speed loaders they are the Safariland Comp I or Comp II variety for my .38 snubby and the HKS type for my .45LC revolver.

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I carry speed strips when I carry a revolver. It takes practice and I load 2 rounds at a time'

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I prefer speed loaders. Speed strips are restricted to situations where bulk is an issue. I like to stow two speed strips in my body armor trauma plate pouch for my S&W M-65 when I carry it for a back up.