Speed Loaders and Hollow Points

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Balota, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I'm pretty new to revolver shooting. I've been trying my revolver in IDPA and barely (1-2 seconds) made Marksman in SSR. One of my problems is reloading with speed loaders.

I've practiced with snap caps and gotten down to maybe 2-3 seconds a lot of the time. But when I try to reload with live rounds it just doesn't work. A lot of the ammo I've gotten (both 38spl and 357) have some kind of hollow point or flat point bullets. The flat ends of the rounds don't catch well in the cylinder.

I want to try the Classifier in ESR, but my revolver is not modified for moon clips. So, I'm going to try it with speed loaders. My 357 ammo is JSP.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to speed up the process when I'm using rounds other than FMJ?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  2. JonM

JonM Moderator

use cast lead round nose.

if your competing you should be using cast bullets for cost and to prevent bounce back on steel if your shooting steel.

3. Balota

Good points. I'm not reloading ammo yet. I'd love to find some round nose ammo that would behave a bit more like the snap caps. I was hoping someone had a trick up their sleeve that would make reloading the revolver with flat nose rounds easier.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

there isnt anything gear wise you can do other than changing bullet profile. and this is only going to be marginal.

other than that, LOTS of practice until it becomes muscle memmory. this will be the biggest improvement. smooth is fast. dont try to force it. speed will come after years of practice.

if your going to compete you should be loading and have a chronograph to be sure your ammo is in the correct power factor if your doing that sort of thing. handloading lets you shot a LOT more matches and practice more.

5. Balota

You're right. I was just hoping someone had a technique I'd never heard of. Practice is certainly the long term key. I'll probably start reloading eventually.

I think I don't "compete" so much as "participate". My last sanctioned match I placed in the middle of the Marksman category out of about 20. I look at IDPA matches as opportunities to practice doing things I can't do at the range. Holster draw, shooting at close range, rapid fire, shooting on the move, etc. I want to learn revolver just for the fun of learning a new physical skill.

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you set against having the cylinders recessed for moon clips?

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

you want to get really good, use a single action revolver... makes that speed loader issue trivial heh

8. Balota

I have one SW686. If I trim the cylinder to receive moon clips, the 38spl cartridges don't get full support. So modifying for moon clips requires always using moon clips. But moon clips are not allowed in SSR. The revolver is an experiment. If I find I like it, I might get another and convert that to moon clips.

9. Balota

Actually I use single action mode for the 15-20 yard shots around cover on 3rd stage of Classifier.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

One little trick is to use your hand to guide the speed loader.
    Most will use the tip of the bullets only. The palm of the hand can act like a chute.

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If I just stab the speed loader first time I always get a quick reload. But If I have to struggle at all it seems to take forever. I don't know how having to move a speed loader .25" can be such a task.

12. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

For speed loaders you have to use round nose or semi wad cutters to be fast... Find you some spring loaded style comp loaders they are very fastnof release. Also learn to speed load with your left hand while your right hand retains the pistol .

Load some dummy round so you can practice at home....

13. Balota

I've seen the spring loaded ones. They are fast. Sometimes too fast. In a hurry it's easy to put just a little pressure on the back when you grab them off your belt. Rounds go everywhere, very ugly. But I guess that's just a matter of practice. Helps if you have long fingers. I may look around for some of those to try out. (Now where did I put those spare long fingers???)

The guy that runs our IDPA matches shoots revolver a lot and he reloads with his left hand. He says that allows him to use the same basic movement to grab his spares whether pistol or revolver. It also keeps his fingers away from the hot forcing cone.

I am currently using snap caps for practice. I've found that reloads with snap caps are easier in some respects and harder than others. They're easier because the round noses make alignment a lot easier. But they're harder because they're so light that they hang up in the speed loader easily. When you toss the speedloader (or even just allow it to fall) it tends to drag one of the snap caps along with it and I wind up with 5 in the 6 shooter...

I've also tried reload practice with live rounds. Sure focuses the mind on the task at hand. Especially when they're 357! That let me practice with the actual bullet faces that I'll be using.

I've found that it helps a little if I angle the speedloader slightly off axis of the cylinder and catch one or two rounds in a chamber. Then align the speedloader, press in to engage all rounds and then twist the knob. Takes a lot longer to describe than the actual process.

Is that the right way to do this or should I be focusing on alignment only?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  14. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Slightly Rocking them in as you described is a correct way, for positive line up etc. Ultimately you learn to do it ever so slightly if at all. keep practicing. The important thing to remember is let gravity assist you. Also to avoid a spent shell behind the star get that muzzle pointed up! Again let gravity assist you.

15. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Balota, since you are not reloading for the .38\.357 yet, and the snap caps are on the light side (I know all about that issue) see if you can get a friend who does reload to provide with with a set of cases with the bullets in them, such as what i use to check overall catridge length when handloding, with the types of bullets (JHP, HP, ect.) you will be shooting during competition. They will be closer to the weight you are shooting, and you will get the feel for where each round type needs to be clocked with you speedloaders. Load with your left hand, and use your [alm to guide the speedloader home. best of luck.

16. Balota

Sounds like a plan. The guy who runs the IDPA has made me some dummy rounds for my 9mm and 45acp pistols. I can probably get some dummies (besides me) for the revolver.

I haven't shot enough revolver to have established left vs right hand reloading. I may start trying left handed (maintaining firing grip with right).

17. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

"Extra long fingers?" One of my favorite musicians, TONY LEVIN, on his 3rd stint with King Crimson, and has also played with Peter Gabriel, and 3 of the 4 Beatles at different times, used finger extensions on some of his Basses,..called Funk Fingers,...maybe you need Funk Fingers Balota.......

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

18. Balota

On all but my trigger finger...

19. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

Actually a revolver cylinder cut for moon clips can still fire loose rounds or use speed loaders. So you can switch between loaders and moonclips. Go to TK customs web site for a complete rundown on the procedure.
    My 686 was cut for moonclips 8 years ago and I use 5 Star speedloaders and TK moonclips.

20. Balota

I'll look into that. I was told otherwise by some folks in my IDPA club. That's why we all need to actually check for ourselves. Thanks for the feedback.