Speaking of children...Child shoots intruder during home break-in

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by IGETEVEN, Jul 17, 2009.

1. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=10741492&nav=menu57_2

Child shoots intruder during home break-in
    Posted: July 16, 2009 08:15 PM
    Updated: July 17, 2009 10:06 AM
    Child shoots intruder during home break-in

Dean Favron (Picture source: West Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office)

By David Spunt - email

PORT ALLEN, LA (WAFB) - A ten-year-old boy left home alone with his sister used his mother's gun to shoot an intruder in the face, police said.

Late Tuesday, West Baton Rouge Parish sheriff's deputies received a call to a Port Allen apartment complex after several shots rang out from inside one of the apartments. "You are out here trying to work and for someone to come and do that and invade your home is very hard," the children's mother said. She asked to not be identified.

Deputies say Dean Favron and Roderick Porter knocked several times on the apartment door. The two young children, a ten-year-old boy and eight-year-old girl, stood on the other side, terrified. "He told his sister to be quiet and seconds later, they started kicking on the door and finally kicked the door in," said Sheriff Mike Cazes. The two children ran to their mother's bedroom closet.

In a panic, the ten-year-old grabbed his mother's gun for protection. "He did what I told him to do. I never told him to get the gun, but thank God he did," she said. Once the two suspects opened the door, threatening the kids, deputies say the boy fired a bullet into the lip of Roderick Porter. The two men were taken to the hospital, where they were later arrested. "It's just hard. I don't understand why they would do that. I know they have little brothers and sisters and they wouldn't want anyone to break into their house," said the mother.

Each man is held on $150,000 bond. A third suspect, a juvenile, was taken to a local detention center. One of the suspects, Dean Favron, just finished serving almost seven years in prison for aggravated assault on a Baton Rouge police officer and two carjacking charges. He was released on June 6th.

Both men will appear before a judge next month.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I think there is more to this story.

But, I'm really of mixed minds on this whole issue. Kids (8 & 10) left home alone?? Loaded gun accessible to them???

I would be hard pressed to find a victim in this mess! I do however, think the LEO could run out of citation pads at this scene.

[​IMG]

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Obviously the boy didn't use enough gun. ;)

8 & 10 year olds shouldn't be left home alone.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed, when I read this I was thinking the age of the kids were too young to be latch key kids.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

A properly taught 10 year old boy should have, at least, a single shot shotgun, if not a small pumpgun, IMO. We're talking about Baton Rouge, not L.A.

7. michael a

michael a New Member

I do agree that the kids should not have been alone. I have a 9y/o and a 12 y/o and i do not leave them at home alone but i bet that when our wonderful justice system lets them out of jail again they will think twice before they kick that door in again.

8. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I completely agree and belive that the boy did whats right, the only problem I see with this is that our legal system does not have enough common sense to know he did what was right.

9. WDB

WDB New Member

I'm happy with the result of the break in but kids that young shouldn't be left alone and the mother shouldn't of had a loaded pistol where the kids could access it. I think we have all read too many stories about young kids playing with parents loaded firearms with tragic results.

At least this time the gun was pointed at a bad guy. The kid did a great job but the parent has issues.

10. dynastyofnext

dynastyofnext New Member

The 10yr old knew where the loaded gun was, and that he could use it to protect his sister? I think the mom is holding something back; maybe she did train him to use it. How does a 10yr old put rounds in two guys, but not just any shot a head shot. The kid must be Dirty Harry's son or something.

11. opaww

opaww New Member

The kids that young being left alone like that is not good. But his use of the firearm for self-defense of him and his sister is cool with me. I think the kid did right but the question that should be asked is why they were left alone to begin with.

12. WAREAGLE

WAREAGLE New Member

I'd like to meet this ten year old kid, he's a complete bad ass. Some guy shot his mouth off to a kid after breaking into his apartment, and the kid by responded by.... shooting the guys mouth off. LMAO.

To young to be alone, I agree, but this kid just proved he's got what it takes to handle it.

13. layton

layton New Member

You know, I can see your point, but there are so many single parents, that it might be some have no choice. Might be that She is just barely making expenses and cannot aford a day care and has no family close by. Also I applaud the boy with having the frame of mind to protect his sister, and it will get worse before it gets better. I think I would really enjoy taking him for a week of back to nature and k
    living off the land for a week. I remember my older brother would take me hunting, and all we would carry is a flashlight, a 22 for me & a baby nipple, and a loaf of bread and salt & pepper, told me NO KILL/NO EAT. Surprising what you can find if you are hungry.

Layton

14. opaww

opaww New Member

I agree....

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Like i said, a "properly taught 10 year old". This kid is a decent example; he knew how to operate the gun and not to play with it or point it at friendlies. Sounds like a good kid. Luckily, i don't have any children that i know of; if i did have offspring that would be alone for long periods of time, they would be familiar with a shotgun. I would choose the shotgun due to its unsuitability for "playing around" (heavy, long, very dificult for small people to point at themselves). I'd probably be under the jail by now for teaching a child to defend itself.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  16. suprdave

suprdave New Member

My kids stay at home, alone, while my wife and I work. What's wrong with that? I pity the fool that tries to kick down my door with my 12 year old daughter there. She can shoot ALMOST as well as I can. And before anyone says anything crazy, she has been through Hunters Education classes, babysitter courses(which includr CPR training), and she passed my training course(that was the toughest one!).

17. ACES 6

ACES 6 New Member

I'm gonna agree with War Eagle. The kid's a badass - to even have the countenance in that kind of situation - which must have been horrifying to ANY person, let alone a 10 year-old.

I hate to hear of latch-key kids, but also know it's a reality. Assuming the kids know that playing with the firearm under any other circumstances is bad news, I say kudos to that young man for protecting his home and his sister. It took ballz, so hat's off to him.