spartan 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by CaseyChadwell, Feb 22, 2013.

1. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Can anyone with experience tell me something about the sti Spartan please? I have been bitten by the 1911 bug and will be buying another really soon. Any first hand experience will be appreciated.

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Don't have "First Hand" experience with the Spartan. However some of the guys I shoot with have other STI models that they are very happy with. STI has a longstanding reputation for excellent 1911s (& 2011s) of all sorts.
    The Spartan itself is an ARMSCOR/Rock Island Frame & slide with STI internals. No frills, but a solid value from a good company.
    I've kicked around the idea of getting a Spartan IV. My family of 1911s is lacking a commander sized model. I might yet, but there are other hands out for my money these days.

3. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Great gun for the money. Frames and slides are made by Armscorp/RIA then shipped to Texas where the guns are assembled. Excellent CS so buy with confidence.

4. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Is the IV even available yet? I've never actually seen one for sale anywhere.

5. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Actually Armscor makes the frame, slide and barrel and the internals are made by STI. The guns are assembled by Armsor and shipped to TX for quality control and distribution. All warranty work is done by STI.

I have a Spartan V 9MM and it is an excellent gun. Very reliable and a consistent shooter, the Spartan is also fun to shoot. After about 6 months and +/- 500 rounds, I have not had one problem. I just pull the trigger and it goes bang every time. It does tend to aim a little to the center of the target, but I've learned to live with that.:)

The Spartan IV is available, a fellow shooter has one. Now, whether they are in stock or not I don't know.

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Here is a pic of mine, very nice guns for the money.

Attached Files:

7. stellr

stellr New Member

Nothing but great things to say about mine. I have the .45 and have been very pleased. I also have first hand experience with the customer service they provide...great company and great products. If this is the path you choose you will have ZERO regrets.

8. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

STI has one of the best warranties in the industry, so even feel free to buy used if you can find one.

At the $600 price point the STI would be one of the best. It doesn't get the same treatments as their Trojans and other $1000+ guns, but that's to be expected.

9. Overkill0084

Oh, they exist. Whether you or I can find one is another issue.
    I've never seen any STIs in the case at any of my local shops. You can't let that be your only gauge as to what's available. I've seen more Wilsons & Nighthawks than STI's for sale around here. I'm sure with diligence and patience, there are some to be had.

10. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

I typically use Gunbroker to find out when an item gets released, and hadn't seen one listed yet. If it exists, I assume someone is trying to make a buck off of it. I did just go check the Gunbroker "completed items" listing and there were six IVs in 9mm listed in December, but nothing since. So yeah, they are out there, just not making it into my safe anytime in the near future.

Probably for the best anyway, filling the empty wallet space from the VBob purchase last week is going to take some time.

11. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Ok then. Here's my next question...why not buy a rock island armory tactical and put some better springs and other internals in it? If the barrel, slide and frame are all the same? I dabble in some minor gunsmithing and am always looking for a new project. I'm not claiming to be a pro or even close, but why not do some research and learn as I go? Is that a dumb idea?

12. Overkill0084

I suppose you could. How good is your "minor gunsmithing?" I have a high degree of confidence that an STI pistol is simply going to work. 1911s require a fair bit of skill to get correct. Admittedly, the Slide/Frame/barrel is a large percentage of the equation, but the remaining internals do need to be fitted with a degree of skill that makes trial & error less than appealing. It really comes down to your skill, your available tools and what you consider your time to be worth.
    Read Kuhnhausen's book before you decide to move forward with this plan.

13. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

The barrel, slide and frame are not the same as the RIA. The Spartan is designed by STI and Armscor builds it to STI specs on a separate line that manufactures just the Spartan. This is not an arrangement where STI uses another product and puts their name on it. Armscor actually has a STI Division making these guns.

The Spartan literally has STI written all over it.:)

For the record, I just own a Spartan and don't work for them. Not that working for them would be a bad thing!

14. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

My minor gunsmithing skills may not be up to par to do exact fitting. Maybe I should just get the Spartan then. I would hate to get in over my head and end up having to take it to a pro with my head hung down low in shame.

I know I want a full size 1911 next since I just bought a commander length...

15. donray

donray New Member

I've tried to find the "completed listings" on Gunbroker and can't locate it. Can you tell where to find it?

16. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Use the advanced search option and it will take you to the screen where you enter your search parameters. It defaults to "current items", but at the top of the fill in the boxes section there is a seperate tab that says "completed items". Click that and you will get a new set of options for completed auctions.

17. donray

donray New Member

Thank you so much

18. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

All the RIA Tactical needs is better grips and shooting.

19. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Took a few days off this week so decided to make an early trip to the nearest Cabelas (about an hour away). At 9AM the ammo shelves were pretty well stocked! 5 box limit, but it was the most 9mm & 45 I've seen in months. Grabbed my limit, took a stroll past the gun counter, and there on the bottom shelf was a Spartan IV in 9mm. It looked lonely, so I had to bring it home with me. Pics tomorrow when my mini-vacation wraps up.

20. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

The moderately elusive Spartan IV. Just needs some new grips...

Attached Files: