Space Shuttle

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cpttango30, Jun 2, 2010.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Ok so we have 2 maybe 3 missions left for our space shuttles. How come we have not be designing and building a new fleet? I mean are we just going to stop going into space? I head after the last flight we will be sending people and supply's up on Russian rockets.

To me it just looks like we have lost so much drive to be the best at everything. It is like there is no more pride and honor to be able to say look at us we built space shuttle and now we built better ones that and do more cost less......

Does anyone else fear we are losing our edge as a super power?

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

In my opinion, the space program is a waste of a huge amount of money that could be better used elsewhere in our country.

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Exactly.

Obungho needs that money to build his welfare state.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

But the space shuttle emits thousands of tons of green house gasses each time it is launched. We MUST abandon or Empirialistic displays to save the planet! Just bring the astronauts home and leave space to the Aliens. We have been trampling all over the rights of aliens (both ET and illegal) too long.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Oh puh-leeze, you know that's not what I meant!

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Yes, aliens are people too! The ET-type I mean.

My assumption is that there IS life out there and, as long as they leave ME alone, I'll leave them alone.

Unless we're gonna find a huge amount of OIL up there.....abort! But then the oil companies would probably eff that up too.

7. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

I am in favor of the space program. However I think they need to come up with a cheaper, less dangerous type of propulsion system. I wouldn't want to strap my a$$ to a few hundred TONS of rocket fuel and light that sucker off.
    NASA's budget is somewhere in the nieghborhood of 15-18 billion a year(I may be way off,probably more). I would like to see that money put into independant research for search for alternative fuels. I say independant because I believe the Gov is in big oils pocket, no incentive there to come up with alternatives.

8. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

I think i heard a clip of a BHO speech in which he decided that scrapping the space program will allow for funds to be allocated elsewhere. Basically, he was saying that the space program was a total waste of time and funds.

Losing? BHO is bending the country over so the blue helmets can just ram it on up.......

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

How can anyone think that exploring space is a waste of time and money?

What ever happened to the drive to better ourselves? What happened to the drive to break barriers and push the limits of science and technology? With out pushing limits we would have never made it to space let alone the moon. We wouldn't have safer cars and planes that can fly Mach 3......

If it is all useless like some say then why not stop teaching science in school. No more doctors no more vets to take care of animals who cares it is all a big waste of money.

That is the thinking that got us in the god dam phucked up mess we are in now. stagnant thinking.

With out science we wouldn't have this wonderful internet we have today. I think I am going to be sick. It just disgust me to see thinking like that......

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Sorry you're so disgusted.

To think that the money spent on the space program over the years might have gone a long way toward finding a cure for cancer or some other insidious disease....disgusting.

11. gilfo

gilfo Member

I agree space has been a bust. Only worthwhile things to come out of it what they had to come up with for space.

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

The Space Place :: Inventions (Spinoffs) from Space

You know Nasa has helped advance many technologies that are used in every day life and even in medical science. Specifically the MRI was created based on Nasa's technology to take digital images in space.

I would say they have done a lot to help cure cancer.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Do you really think they are going to cure cancer? That is the biggest joke I have ever heard. Big pharm is doing all the research and funding it as well. It is not in the profit margins to cure it but to make is go away..... Cure it and no one has it. don't cure it and you got a permanent cash cow.....

going into space isn't merely strapin your *** to an Acme rocket and lighting the fuse.

14. suprdave

suprdave New Member

I think they will, eventually.

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Read the post. I said "a long way toward finding."

16. orangello

orangello New Member

How can you guys disparage the value of Tang?

[​IMG]

Seriously, though, we need to know what is out there. Maybe they could save some money by using more Hubble-type & Mars Rover-type exploration rather than fitting skids on the shuttle for a lunar landing.

17. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

The Space Race is what proved our superiority with the development of the ICBM. I see space as a race to greatness. This is ultimately an attempt to homogenize us and make us no better than anyone else, although we clearly are.

18. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

How about using that money to further strengthen our country as a military superpower? I'm all about the superpower thing, don't get me wrong.

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Without the space race we wouldn't have all these nifty toys that oh yeah just snuffed another al-Quida leader.

We wouldn't have Satellite TV, or 3/4 of the communications we have today. Oh and you would have GPS for all you non-map reading losers out there.

A lot of our military super power strength comes from SPACE. Remember without NASA GPS wouldn't be what it is today. GPS was also developed for the MILITARY it was Clinton who made it available to civilians.

20. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

What the hell is this "map" thing you keep talking about?