Sp101

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by jackrich3, Apr 13, 2014.

1. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

Took the 442 to the Lee County gun show, sold it, and bought a new SP101, 3" barrel, SS. Will wring it out tomorrow. I would post a picture, but everytime I try, the forum is setting limitations on the picture so I give up.

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

You can't just walk away eh?

There is a bunch of web sites that will resize your picture, free. Takes seconds.

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

I shot an SP101 with a 4" barrel second ago. It was a wonderful gun.

I just wish it were a typical six shooter, and not five.

I can see the concealed carry advantage of only five rounds with the snubbies. But the longer barrels, like I shot, deserve Sox rounds IMO.

BUT, it was a great shooter and one I would definitely consider if the price were right.

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Oh and congratulations on your purchase.

:)

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You will be able to carry the 4" barrel just as easy as a pistol with a 2.25" barrel. I have two 357 snub nose pistols. If I happen across a used 4" barrel for either pistol or both I will buy the barrel.

6. jackrich3

This Windows phone causes problems with posting pictures. I have better luck with the camera. Most everybody here knows what a SS SP101 looks like, anyway.

7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been using my 101 since about 1990. I bough both the 2+ inch and the 3+ inch bbl ones and when I c-graphed them there was only 25 fps difference in the 125 gr JHP loads so I sold the 3+ inch one. I carry it when I OC here on the 'farm' or when I hike, hunt, or ride horses. It is a GREAT 'little big' gun!!!:D

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

It just seems disproportionate to me. A medium - long barrel with a tiny cylinder.

Just my opinion but it should have six in the cylinder with barrels 4"+

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Ruger has read your mind. A GP100 has a 6 shot cylinder and a 4" barrel. If you compare the Sp101 with a 4" barrel and GP100 with 4" barrel side by side you will see why ruger left as the SP101 as is.

The hardest part of a revolver to conceal is the cylinder and frame. A longer barrel is not an issue, unless you pocket carry the gun.

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

The GP100 is a fine revolver. Again though its capacity should be more than what it is. The existing cylinder is large enough that it could be a seven shot firearm. The S&W 686p is a comparable size and is a seven shot.

Also I prefer the size of the sp101 over the GP100 but I still think both firearms could have +1 capacity.

A longer barrel is an issue when one chooses to conceal OWB. Lots of people prefer OWB to IWB due to comfort. It would also be an issue in underneath the arm, ankle, or fanny pack carry.

IWB is a perfectly viable choice for concealed carry. As are all these other methods.

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Lets be honest, Ruger could redesign their revolvers and you still wouldn't be happy because you want a capacity of 15 plus. You don't like to handle a revolver so be happy with your semi auto. Every holster is not straight up and down with a dust flap. Many holsters have a cant so one can conceal a gun with a longer barrel.

If Ruger made the cylinders thinner then you wouldn't be able to shoot Ruger only handloads. If you want a thin, light pistol that has a history of cracked cylinders and blown out frames S&W is waiting for you.

I know people who carry revolvers with long barrels in their belt without a holster all the time. I am sure you have seen Shelby the Swamp Man carrying his revolver with a 10" barrel in his belt. Other people have been carrying revolvers in the same fashion for a long time. His life is as rough and tumble as anyone's life. If Shelby drops his revolver a ND is the least of his problems. His problem is diving in river to recover his pistol.

I use an IWB holster for a Kel Tec P 3AT to carry a Ruger Blackhawk with a 6" barrel. No, the gun is not pointing at my cods. I don't carry the Ruger all the time but if I feel the need I will carry it.

12. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

While I agree that they probably could fit 6 in the cylinder they have on the SP101, I never saw it as a good idea. Part of the charm of the SP 101 to me is the weight, and punching another hole in the cylinder would take some of that away. Of course if someone was shooting at me I would probably rethink that. :D

I liked the weight of my daughter's SP101 when I fired it. It was nowhere near as punishing as my 360PD, and it let me get a better return for my second shot. The combination of weight and grips also allowed me to practice longer without looking for a bucket of ice water to stick my hand in. That 360PD is great to carry, but range days were brutal after the first 100 rounds.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

Actually JD I'm a revolver guy through and through. If you paid attention to my posts you would know that. I own a couple semi-autos but I have said since basically the beginning that I prefer revolvers.

I have gotten into countless discussions with people about capacity, and I was always on the side of "capacity isn't the end-all, be-all."

I simply make the point about +1 because Smith and Wesson can do it, so its a viable option.

So don't lecture me about what kind of firearms I prefer. Because you're wrong in this case.

And what are you talking about, "I use an IWB holster for a Kel Tec P 3AT to carry a Ruger Blackhawk with a 6" barrel." ????

Are you being serious? Or are you just off your rocker?

14. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

jackrich3 - Awesome! That is what I want too in a .357 for .38 Specials.

For images, are you using a PC or smart phone?

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

The sp101 is definitely an excellent shooter. As I said previously we shot a 4" one day and I loved it.

Actually my wife owns a 360pd, and we enjoy shooting Magnums out of it. But I realize that's not for everyone. We also haven't put more than a box through at a time.

We also have a S&W 66 and a 10. Those are both amazing shooters, due I'm sure in large part to their weight.

I understand your point, and I think its valid. Thanks for the input Doc.

16. jackrich3

Well, here goes...

Attached Files:

17. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice looking gun I have one with 2.25in barrel.

18. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

Very nice, I also have a 2.25 barreled sp101, I wanted the 3 incher but the LGS gave me a deal I couldn't refuse.