SP101 vs LCR - what are Pros Cons?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by wittmeba, Apr 23, 2014.

1. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I've been considering a Ruger SP101 .357 3" barrel for a next gun. I would likely use it as EDC rather than my M&P .40.

But also intrigued by the LCR in a 2" but they all appear to be hammerless. Is that good or bad?

What are some pros/cons to the differences between the two?

Is an LCR too small for someone with big hands?

They seem close in price. I would only buy new.

2. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

Well, the exposed hammer on the SP101 allows you to fire in single action which you'd probably only use for target practice or taking care of a varmint in the yard. The LCR is double action only but has a trigger pull reducing cam allowing it to have a really smooth pull. The SP101 is constructed completely out of steel, while the LCR has a polymer frame and a steel barrel with an aluminum shroud. The 3" barrel and weight of the SP101 allows for easier, quicker aiming and make the .357 loads easier to control. The lightweight and compactness of the LCR make it ideal for pocket carry but those qualities also make it slower to aim and harder to control, especially when firing rapidly. The LCR would probably be better for pocket carry and the SP101 for IWB or OWB carry or as a house/truck gun.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont have your hands so i cant help you with the grip question...

if you plan on pocket carry get the lcr. no hammer to snag up.

the lcr is much lighter making it a much better everyday carry gun.

the lcr is pretty much the sp101 using lighter materials. they both come in 357 and both come in hammer or hammerless versions.

the only real difference is weight.

if your going to carry and shoot it a lot get the sp101 it will be a more pleasent shooter as its almost twice the weight of the lcr. if your just going to mainly carry with a little shooting get the lcr.

whichever one you get, get it in 357magnum. 38special is downright pathetic in a shortbarrel revolver. 357magnum brings shorties up to 38spl levels in a longer barreled 4-6" gun.

38spl is anemic in a full size gun and when you shrink it down to a 2 inch barrel its down right sad.

4. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Also: LCR is 1.875" and the Shortest SP101 is 2.5 ." Having shot and owning both ( Well, the Mz does) I like the Sp's ability to soak up the recoil. Our LCR is 38+P, which seems to be enough, while the SP handles 357's.
    The LCR was going to be her Carry Gun but she is going to trade it back for a Hammered version.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  5. orangello

orangello New Member

Soooooooo Coke & Diet Coke, basically?

6. DrFootball

Sort of, yeah...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Actually, I don't think the 357 lcrx is out yet (could be wrong though), so if the OP wants 357 with hammer it's the sp101.

8. DrFootball

it's out. It's even at the local Gougers gun shop for $125 over MSRP. CDNN lists all of the LCR's models in different calibers at $399 but they don't always have what they list in stock on Guns, but they are better on Accessories.
    Edit: the Hammered X version is only in 38+P...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  9. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Personally I like the SP101 I just fired my Son's LCR 357 and while manageable its not pleasant to fire.
    I prefer guns with hammers and single action pistols.

10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Main difference would be weight. I have an SP101 and love it but I've heard great things about the LCR as well... I'm just not ready to trust a plastic revolver but that's me, I'm sure they are both good guns.

11. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Please disregard previous post I was thinking GP-100.....duh :eek:

12. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

The .357 version (I know the .38 is)? I've been wanting one but it's not even on Rugers website yet. I hope it's out now, but wasn't expecting it for a few months.

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

LCR: small, compact, will beat you silly shooting anything more than .38.

SP101: built like a tank; handles magnum loads routinely; 5 shot revolver; once empty, can be effectively used as a club or hammer.

14. DrFootball

Or 6 shot in 327 Fed. Mag. and 8 shot in 22LR. I wish they made the SP in 22Mag. The 22Mag. LCR's trigger is Horrendous compared to the 38/357 Trigger pull.
    It was the First 22 revolver we looked at. My wife had a hard time with the trigger, but then she was comparing it to the Ease of her Buckmark Trigger.

15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The sole purpose of the LCR is deep concealment. If that's not your priority, the SP is a better "shooter". I am well familiar with both.

16. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I really appreciate all the replies. I didn't mean to imply I wanted a hammerless (if I did) but was asking of there is pros or cons to either. I realize snagging on clothes could be a problem with a hammer.

I didn't realize there was so much difference in weight. WOW! I know stainless steel is heavy.

Concealment is part of the consideration but I want to be sure it fits me too. I need to rent/shoot both if I could find a place to do so. Not much around here or Roanoke, Va to do that.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

Roadtrip!!!!

If you dont have a ccw piece you really like get the hammerless lcr in 357. The super lightweight makes it easy to carry everyday all day. The dao pull is not pretty nice on them. Its even and doesnt stack breaks clean.

Once thats done save up for a gp100 in 357 for a range gun.

Simple.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

And the legacy of glock rears its ugly squared-off head.
    :p

19. DrFootball

A Pro for the LCR though: you would think a gun that small doesn't point well or come back on Target fast after a first shot, esp. With 38+Ps or 357's, but I put -38+P Golden Sabers all in the 10 or Center at 36ft.(12 Yds) pulling the trigger as fast but smooth as I could, into a Birchwood-Casey 12" Round splat Target...

20. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I did find this on another site. I'm leaning toward the SP101 for the reasons of wanting to shoot heavier rounds needing the weight and the physical size of the grip - this picture shows a modified grip on the SP101. I have fired a Taurus 738 (2 finger gun) and didn't really like it. Always loved the looks of the SP101.

[​IMG]