SP101 or S&W M&P 9mm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by northhike, Feb 12, 2012.

1. northhike

northhike New Member

I have an opportunity to trade my Ruger SP101 in 38/357 for a new S&W M&P 9mm. What would you do? :confused:

2. primer

primer New Member

Find the money to buy the mp, and keep the revolver.

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Ditto... but that's me. I have no idea what the OP's needs are.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My SP101 is the last hand gun I would get rid of. Too versatile.

5. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Not enough information to evaluate the reason for the trade.

The Ruger SP101 in the inventory is like having flour in the pantry. Trading all your flour for sugar may or may not be a good idea.

6. mayscat44

mayscat44 New Member

Absolutely trade that wheel gun for the M&P...it's nothing like flower or sugar, your looking at almost triple the ammo capacity in a very fine auto pistol. It hurts me to say it but some people are trading in their Glocks for M&P's

7. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

With 9 mm, you'll need the extra rounds to equal the effectiveness of the 357 on a round per round basis.

8. fupuk

fupuk New Member

If i only had to choose one i would keep the Sp101 just for fact that i love revolvers, and the Sp101 is one of my next guns on my list to get. But it's more of what do you need a handgun for? Is the Sp101 your only handgun? If it is, do you keep it for range? or for personal/home defense?

9. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I would get the M&P

10. northhike

northhike New Member

I have a few guns, but only two hand guns. A Ruger 22/45 and the SP101. I do alot of camping so I purchased the SP101, but its the 2.25" barrel. Its a great gun....solid as a rock, but when you shoot .357...at least for me....my accuracy goes way down. I could move to a GP100 and thats been a consideration, but I am just so damn accurate with that S&W M&P 9mm. Plus my wife goes camping with me quite a bit and she is good with a 9MM but I am not sure I would trust my life if she had the SP101 in .357. She just can't seem to get used to it. My thought is that it is very unlikley I will be attacked by a bear (we only have black bears) and be in need of a .357 round...I am more concerned with the two legged animals strolling around in the middle of nowhere.

11. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

I agree w/ the majority here... The SP101 is definately a keeper. Simple, tough & realiable. Only drawback is the limited round capacity. Here's a thought... If you like the SP Ruger, save up & get a P series semi-auto. You will NOT regret it!! I LOVE my P95 and will never let it go until I leave this plane of existance and pass it on in my will!!

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have seen very few used SP101's and their price is usually over $500. You can find used M&P's for around $400. That should tell you something.
    The Winchester white box 110 SJHP .357 is a mild magnum load for the SP101. Hotter than the 38+P but not as hot as the 125 or 158 magnum loads. Look into after market grips for better control. The Hogue grips are a little long but work very well. I have the CT LG111 boot grip on mine and can still control it. The LG411 is a little longer and has an on/off switch. Mine is a tuned DAO but you can stage the trigger and it is pretty accurate. I have mixed feelings about the laser but it is a great training tool. I have been able to eliminate the muzzle jump on snap caps using it and it shows in live fire. I do not depend on the laser But my wife really likes it as she has had a lot of eye problems lately.

13. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I have a Gp100 with a four inch barrel and i love it. My oldlady shoots it just as much as me and she stands about 5'4" and maby 130lbs soaking wet and she can handle it as well as the rest of them. I got my Gp100 for an all around gun. Its a great range gun and its my carry gun (as soon as i get my cpl in the mail) but i have open carried this gun and i dont notice its there. But my oldlady has a Glock 17 and she likes it but she would rather have a snub nose for her carry gun. So shes gonna look at an Sp101 and see how she likes that. So the choice can go either way as to what you want? If it's hi-cap go with the 9mm if, if its just a carry when i go hiking or in the woods i would trust a hot .357 over a 9mm. But thats just me. Hope this helps.

14. northhike

northhike New Member

Yep...the GP100 is a awesome gun and next on the list. That one is for me and not for mama. ;) Good to hear its your carry gun. Kind of tired of these mouse size guns. Yes its a gun, but not that intimidating when you pull it out of your bill fold. LOL! :D

15. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Im just waiting to get my cpl in the mail. I handed it in the end of November and they said it could take three to six months? I like how i spent all that money so i could carry but i still have to wait half a year to be able to.

ForumRunner_20120213_194633.jpg

But thats what it looks like in my new Galco holster. And i got a new belt to hold up the weight of the handgun.

16. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Granted open carry is legal in michigan its just a hassel to have to lock it in the back of my truck unloaded just to load it when i get out. And i dont want everyone to know im carrying but i guess thats what i have to do for now.

17. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Put me into the keeping the sp101 colum. I have rarely regreted not buying a certain gun. On the other hand, I have regreted the sale of most of the guns I've sold. Besides the sp101 is a solid gun, everyones collection would be better with one in it. MHO

18. levelcross

levelcross New Member

If you can keep the SP101 and buy the M&P that would be my choice. I have both and I have not found the gun I would sell or trade the SP101 for yet.

19. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Ditto I own both and and would never sell or trade either.

20. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

IF I could only pick one, it would be the M&P no question...but I'm partial to semi-autos. ;)