Sp101 holster question

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by capto56, Jan 7, 2013.

1. capto56

capto56 New Member

Looking for a cc holster for my 2.25 barrel sp101. I've only bought one holster for a different gun before.

I don't know the difference between iwb, pancake, and whatever else there is available. Not even sure how I'd be most comfortable carrying. So any input or suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

2. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I see your from Michigan also like me. I personally carry OWB because thats the holster I found that I liked for my firearm. Ive carried a Gp100 OWB for almost a year and one thing I will tell you is make sure you have a good quality belt to support the extra weight of a firearm. I carry a Glock right now and even when I carried my Gp100 I carried them both at about 3:30. Thats what works for me right side of the hip just behind my belt loop. Hope this helps, how do you like the sp101?

3. capto56

capto56 New Member

Anything will help. I probably should have labeled it general holster help lol. I love it. I only own two handguns and I'm torn between the sp101 and my sig p226 9mm. They both have their specific and obvious pros over the other.

It shoots great and the mechanics feel flawless. But that's comparing it to itself. It's the only revolver I've shot.

4. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Wherr are you at in Michigan? Im in Grand Rapids. Ive shot my FIL sp101 and its defenitly a great revolver. Have you looked at the Gp100 revolvers? Thats another great revolver from Ruger.

5. capto56

capto56 New Member

I'm on the east side. North metro Detroit. In Clinton township. I was actually torn between the sp and go but went with the sp because I also wanted a cc revolver. I may eventually look into the gp with a longer barrel.

6. Genec

Genec New Member

You didn't say if you wanted leather or kydex.

Look at the Don Hume, inexpensive yet very good quality.

Btw, iwb, inside the waistband, goes inside the pants, good for concealment, alittle harder to get to the gun. OWB, outside the pants, a little less concealment, but easier to get to the gun. Pancake just refers to how the holster attaches to the belt, more than anything. Most CC goes for iwb...I like the iwb with a clip, so I can easily take it off and put it on without undressing. I carry iwb in the appendix position( 2 o clock), as it's the quickest place for me, my hands are right there most of the time.

7. capto56

capto56 New Member

How does the pancake attach compared to a normal iwb holster? And material will be the last thing I look at. Just trying to get general knowledge for now.

8. capto56

capto56 New Member

And off topic, but do you know of any good CPL instructors in Michigan? Middle of the state or wherever. I don't mind driving if its worth it. I'm not looking for good prices, just experience and amount of knowledge.

9. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Mine was in Marne, MI at copper creek. Its a good class. Me and my wife took the class together and they bring in a local lawyer that pretty much only deals with firearm laws and charges. You can ask any question you want and he will give an answer. Its done at a guys house in his pole barn and its an 8 hour class. Food and firearm an ammo is included in the price but you can bring your own if you want.

10. mdauben

mdauben New Member

A pancake generally has two slots cut in the leather and your belt is threaded through them. An IWB holster generally as 1-2 belt clips or loops to attach it to your belt.

Pancake
    [​IMG]

IWB
    [​IMG]

11. capto56

capto56 New Member

How does the pancake go iwb with your belt going through it? Told you I'm new

12. fupuk

fupuk New Member

The loops go out side of your pants and the actual holster goes inside.

13. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Sorry double post

14. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Found this on google

Attached Files:

15. capto56

capto56 New Member

So is that an iwb or pancake? The pancake doesn't actually go inside your pants, just inside your belt?

16. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Thats an iwb. The loops go through your belt and the actual holster goes inside your pants. The pancake holster is more of a full circle and looks like a pancake and is an outside the waistband.

17. capto56

capto56 New Member

Ah ok. I thought they were both iwb. I found a site I'm reading now. I usually refer to the forum for people's knowledge rather than waste my time. Thanks for the info guys

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Most of us have a drawer full of holsters that just did not quite work the way we want them to. For IWB I have a couple in my collection that I go to. Remora makes a clip less IWB that works. I have one with full sweat shield for my Sig P238 and I am thinking of getting one for my SP101. It should work with my J frame also. The other one is cheap Uncle Mike's size 0 left hand. I carry the gun butt forward on the right at roughly the 4:00 position. I can still draw if I am in the car and is easier to draw than the butt back carry. Does not print as badly if you bend over. One caveat, you need to practice the draw with an empty gun so you dont cross your body with the muzzle. As with drawing from any holster: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER!

19. capto56

capto56 New Member

Yea, I'll probably check some out in a few stores before I buy. I made the mistaken of impulse buying an iwb galco for my p226... I'd have to wear jeans 4 sized bigger to carry the dam thing lol.

20. Genec

Genec New Member

Well that's the other part of carrying, you have to change things, like your dress, your movements, your tactics and techniques, etc. You will have to wear pants a couple sizes bigger for iwb, you will have to wear larger, more printed shirts, or shirts outside the pants or wear a jacket or vest(a vest screams CC, btw)....you will have to squat down to pick something up vs bending over and exposing your gun. You will find yourself sitting at a restaurant facing the door and looking for escape routes . You will spend time thinking about "what if" scenarios. You will wait for the next elevator rather than getting into a crowded one and chance having someone bumping into your gun.

Some have said they have a drawer full of holsters that don't work, I have a drawer full of holsters for different situations. No one holster fills all situations( well, My Don Hume iwb w/ clip almost does). You'll use a different holster in the Summer, with shorts and t-shirt, than you will in Winter, with coat. I use a different holster in competition than I do CC. I carry my pistol appendix carry all the time, as it's the fastest position. In competition, it has to be at 3 or 4 o'clock, either iwb or owb, but concealed.