Sp 2022

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by ajspecial, Aug 18, 2013.

1. ajspecial

ajspecial New Member

I bought my SP2022 not too long ago, without being a target pistol, it shoots pretty good, no complaints.
    I would like to ask if there is an easier way to strip the pistol to take out the slide, unless I am doing something wrong I need three hands holding the pistol and the slide and pushing the pin/slide catch all at the same time.
    I am not that crazy about the plastic recoil spring guide, if somebody knows a source for a metal spring guide , please let me know, thanks

2. Judge

Judge New Member

Are you liking your P2022? What caliber? What price?

3. Nch22000

Nch22000 New Member

I did a google search for sig steel guide rod and came back with this site

http://ssguiderods.com/shop/sig-sauer-s2022-guide-rod/

As for take down, First assure there is not a round in the chamber and there is not a loaded magazine close at hand.
    I use my right hand to support the firearm while using my right index finger to press on the pin, just put a bit of pressure on it. Then with my left hand gripping the top of the slide by the rear sights begin to move the slide rearward. As the slide moves rearward there will be a spot that you will feel the pin push through, at that point let the slide move all the way forward slowly and then still holding the firearm with your right hand you can pull the slide release/takedown pin with your left hand. Then slide the slide off.
    Hope that helps, it's kind of hard to describe.

4. ajspecial

ajspecial New Member

sp2022

I have always liked the Sig Sauers, mine came from Academy 40 cal, have not been disappointed, a little heavy for CC but I am looking for a holster.
    I paid 460.00 including tax.

5. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Sig makes a serpa type holster for it that fits like a glove. They also make a magazine holster. If you wanna spoil yourself, Crimson Trace makes a set of Laser Grips for it as well.

Attached Files:

6. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Got some hands on time with the 2022. I won't claim it's the best 9mm I've ever shot but I was impressed overall. The price just seems wrong but I'm not going to complain. Offer a quality handgun for under $500 and you'll get no protest from me.

However, if I were to buy one I would definitely replace the guide rod. I've heard some pretty decent arguments about using plastic but I think there is part of my brain that has a hard time accepting it. This despite the fact that I know quite a few owners who have not modified theirs and never had an issue.

7. jake1

jake1 New Member

If you carry iwb try old faithful holsters. I carry my sp2022 in one and I can hardly tell it is there.

8. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Check out SpringCo, they make a two piece steel guide rod/ recoil reducer. I got one for my .40, and it helps a bit with quick follow up shots.

9. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I have one in my 1911 but its a one piece but it definitely helps with reduced felt recoil and allows for faster follow up shots.

10. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

ajspecial

a steel guide rod will add a little weight to the muzzle end. Otherwise, it will not make your pistol work better. It could give a shooter more confidence by the magic of placebo.
    I am new to this site but not to the business.

11. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Spinco is not just a steel guide rod but a dual buffering recoil system so it does more than add just a little weight up front.

12. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I dig. You never know until you try. I am not familiar with that system. Let's look beyond the recoil reduction. The ultimate goal is to shoot more precisely, faster, or both. The pistol you shoot best is not necessarily the softest kicking. But whatever it takes. My 2022 absorbed the kick well enough as it was.

13. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Despite the weight, which was pretty light, I did not find the recoil of the 2022 any better/worse than any other 9mm I've fired.

14. Lnfesq

Lnfesq New Member

Sig SP2022

FWIW, I have the 2022 and the older W. German P229, both in .40 S&W. With the metal frame, the recoil from the P229 is somewhat "snappy". On the other hand, the 2022 is a joy to shoot. It ranks up there with my 1911s and CZs to shoot. I attribute the .40's shoot ability to the polymer frame, soaking up some of the recoil. I highly recommend the 2022. I also have the aforementioned P229 and a P226. Love all of my Sigs.

15. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

I almost purchased one of these several times but didn't. I still might one day. I hear they only come with one mag and they are expensive. Just out of curiosity, who makes the mags for the 2022?

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

MecGar in Italy is the only contractor well known by name. Many mags have only SIG SAUER stamps.

Edit: All SIG mags are expensive, including SIG PRO. The 2022 was undervalued in the US for a long time. It caught up around last year, prices going up from under $400 to $600+, while P Series 9mm/40S&W are staying at $800+. Even now the 2022 is hard to beat in overall value. It has a better DA trigger pull than the 92FS or the CZ75.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  17. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Yeah mags are expensive and it does suck that they only come with one. I bought a used one that came with some extra mags just for the magazines and resold the pistol for what I paid for it.

18. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

I was wondering if sig cut corners to sell that gun cheap by supplying cheap mags like checkmate or something.

19. seibert1903

seibert1903 New Member

My 9mm sp2022 came with 2, 15rd magazines. But I guess it depends where you get it. And the cheapest I think I've seen for extras are around $40 each, and Sig makes them.

20. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Not at all. The reason it stayed cheap in the US was marketing. The 2022 has been the best selling SIG in Europe. The French chose it for the entire domestic security force. (They take security seriously, I witnessed it) Meantime in the US the company tried to sell other models. SIG is a heavyweight advertiser but the 2022 was rarely seen in the glossy magazine ads.

Anyway it has caught up on its own and the word of mouth, I guess. As far as quality, and this is also first hand, it is totally equal to anything in P Series. The only meaningful difference is the polymer frame, and (maybe) the removable pin instead of the disassembly lever.