Souvenirs with a history

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by c3shooter, May 22, 2010.

1. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Now and again you pick up something that is connected to some event that will show up in the history books. I have a small chunk of the Berlin Wall, a bit of pink granite from the carving of the Crazy Horse Monument, and a small bottle of sand from Omaha Beach. Nothing huge, like a boarding pass for the Hindenburg, or or the M14 with Sn 000001 (in the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning). Ran across this yesterday- a small coaster, and wondered how many folks here are old enugh to remember this when it happened- and what happened?
    munich 001.jpg

So- what sort of dust catchers do you folks have that are connected to the history books?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Sadly, I remember it well.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I remember it as well.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

i got a ww1 bayonet, a helmet from a dead iraqi from the first gulf war, a 1911 from ww2, a japanese 7.7mm jap shell casing i found on the ground when stationed at schofield barracks in hawaii, a meteorite i found in my backyard when i was ten, two bronze stars given to me by my best friend that he got from his 5 tours in iraq, a photo of my dad when he was a baby back in the forties.

some of it historical others personal all has memmories for me some good some bad. at some point i will mail the 7.7 shell to the schofield barracks museum.

5. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I wasn't yet born for the above post. Neither was I born for the souvenir I currently keep.
    It is a 1942 stamped 40 mm Mark 1 shell fired from a WWII Navy ship. Wish I knew which one. It was given to me by a nephew who obtained it at a yard sale for .50 cents. I offered him 25 dollars for it he said no. Instead he gave it to me as a gift.

Attached Files:

6. General-Logic

General-Logic New Member

I have some Saddam funny money.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some place I have a beer stein from Bitburg Germany that commemorated the visit of then President Reagan. That was the visit that created the stir over his visiting a cemetary that had German SS troops buried there.

8. c3shooter

Good replies, guys- keep 'em coming.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

We've got some ash from Mount St. Helen around here somewhere.

10. opaww

opaww New Member

I got a small box of .45 auto dated 1932 and one dated 1929 still in their unopened containers from the military back then I will get some pics soon and post them. Also I have a Kbar from when my grandfather was in the Marines during WW2

11. marysdad

marysdad Member

This was my Dad's. He was an engineer on the Apollo project from the beginning, in 1962, through 1971. It's about the size of a half-dollar, but is light as a feather.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  12. c3shooter

Dad- that is SO COOL! Thanx for sharing that! That is one heck of a challenge coin!

13. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Fantastic stuff, guys.

Japanese "Occupation money" from just after WW2's end:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

[​IMG]

Somehow this piece of "contraband" ended up in my shaving kit when I returned home. Ain't worth nothing, but I had a thousand bucks worth of fun asking some of the gals in the stateside bars if they wanted to "see my Dong", even had a few takers!

Some of the stuff we hang on to!???:D

15. doctherock

doctherock New Member

nice dong!!!lol

16. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Zhuk nice money you have there. I will have to post some i have from Operation Northern Watch and some money from Africa.

17. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I have oodles of empty, and few "live" rounds I dug up on the beach and at low tide in Tarawa where the Marines waded ashore. There were thousands of them in plain sight when I was there about twelve years ago.

18. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

How many of y’all remember SAC, Strategic Air Command? My Dad flew for SAC for probably 25 years or more under 4 different CINCSAC Commanders and was known Air Force Wide as “The Golden Voice of SAC” (Dad was the CINCSAC’s radio operator on the CINCSAS’s aircraft). When I was going through Dad’s storage locker last year after he passed I found several sets of these SAC dinner ware. I remember when I was just a tadpole seeing these in the CINCSAC’s mess at Offutt AFB, Nebraska.

Attached Files:

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

My Nambu Type 14 pistol was captured at Tarawa.

20. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

That's cool. The place was a dump in '98. Probably hadn't changed much since the forties, and probably still hasn't.

I remember seeing all types of US vehicles, Jeeps, half tracks and such, partially burried in the sand but at low tide they were visible. Hard to believe they had been there for 50+ years.