Southwest National Parks

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Mosin, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm in the southwest right now, planning on driving to Bryce Canyon, Zion, and the Grand Canyon.
    Anyone have any 'must see/must do' items they want to share?
    I've pulled my to do list off of 'Lonley Planet' but wanted to see if anyone with experience in the region had some info.

Thanks in advance.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Near Tucson? See about a tour of the "boneyard" at Davis Monthan Air Force Base. Up near the 4 corners area, Mesa Verde. Of course go to the Four Corners (it is a Navajo National park) do like the tourists do- walk over and stand in 4 states at the same time. Eastern Utah, Arches National Monument.

Of course, there are some special places to visit, but you need one of these.....

area 51.jpg

3. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I actually am headed to Tuscon so I'll check that out.
    I've done Moab before so I think I'll pass this time around.
    So far I have from Vegas, to red rocks then back to Vegas, then to Zion, then Bryce, then Page, AZ, then the Grand Canyon, then a stop at some 'vortex' in Sedona before I go to Tuscon.

4. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

You mentioned the vortex at sedona, I was going to mention that. If you can, stick around for sunset on the red rocks there.

The meteor crater is east of flagstaff, its a little out of the way but puts earth history in perspective.

5. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I drove from the east coast and I saw the meteor creator and the petrified forest off of route 40, I put that on the list for the drive back east!

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Hoover Dam is worth a looky see.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If you get a little East, in N.M., there's always the Nuclear Weapons Museum in Albuquerque, and another Nuclear museum in Las vegas. And White Sands Missile Range museum in Southern N.M.

http://www.wsmr-history.org/map.htm

Roswell is also worth a day or two.

8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Pm me when you get to Tucson, we can go shooting :)

9. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I did that, and as the sun was setting, an Indian guy came out on the cliffs and started beating a drum and chanting... It was very cool.

10. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I skipped Tucson, I didn't realize it was like 9 hours south of where I was....
    Waaaaaaay too much driving on this trip.

11. woodlander

woodlander Member Supporter

While you are at Bryce, I would suggest that you take the time to hike down into the canyon. The scenery is incredible and is best seen from down in the canyon a ways. This is, of course, weather permitting. It is pretty high and you can experience extremes of weather any time of the year.

12. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I did that. Hiked all through the canyons, queens gardens etc...
    It was very nice. Hot but worth it.