South Paw needs help

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jcd390, Oct 26, 2012.

1. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

Okay Guys, I am a lefty and I am thinking about purchasing my first semi auto handgun. I am interested in the P226, Beretta FS92, Glock, and Springfield in a 9mm. However, I am not sure if these guns can be converted to left handed. Comments and suggestions welcomed! Thanks and look forward to hearing from ya'll.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

??? Are you wondering if the magazine release and safety can be made ambidextrous? Or something else?

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

^^^^ What he said? :confused:

Or are you worried about RH ejection of the shells going across your body/face?

4. orangello

orangello New Member

I was thinking the M9/Beretta 92FS had ambidextrous safety and reversable mag drop. It wouldn't matter on the Glock that i can understand or the XD9 if that is the Springfield you are interested in; they have no safeties and have reversable mag drops, i bleve.

5. ClaudeBrooks

ClaudeBrooks New Member

If you haven't already made your mind up about the Beretta P226, you might want to consider the Walter PPQ as the PPQ is 100 percent ambidextrous. I bought one awhile back and it's the best gun I have ever owned. It has a sweet trigger pull and fits the hand perfect.

6. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

Yes, both the magazine and safety.

7. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

One of the reasons I love Glock, there's no safety to worry about and the mag drop is easy to manipulate with the trigger finger. As a lefty, I've had no problems with any semi-auto except if it does have a safety and it's not ambi.

8. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

Lefty here. Got a glock 17, beretta 92fs, czsp01 tactical, beretta px4 storm and walther pps. All pretty lefty friendly. I never had any issues with mag releases, etc.

9. ncampbell

ncampbell New Member

I own a Ruger SR9c and both the thumb safety and mag release are ambi. Other than that, im not sure if the ones you listed could be converted.

10. mptoth

mptoth New Member

I am also lefty and have been having a hard time choosing a handgun. I personally prefer the walthers because I love the mag release placement and how they shoot but until the ppq comes out in .45 I won't be purchasing one. I live the look and feel of the Xdm compacts but the slide lock/release is a major concern for meeting lefty I prefer to hit it with my thumb. Its really awkward to have to hit with my index or middle on my trigger hand. Really just personally preference but it's a deal breaker for me.

11. DHawk2

DHawk2 New Member

I'm a lefty too and went with the M&P9. It's ambidextrous with slide release on both sides and the mag release is changeable.

12. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

I'm a lefty and still treat my ambidextrous handguns like they are right handed only. Habit I guess. I talked with another lefty shooter a while back about swapping a Glock I have other to the left handed style mag release and he talked about how his, and mine, muscle memory is already accustomed to the right handed set up so swapping my not be such a great idea.

13. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Ditto on the SR9C and didn't know that the M&P had ambi slide release, way cool!!!! We're I a lefty, I'd look seriously at those two first. Glocks are like Legos, mix and match, plug and play, but I never support guns that don't have safeties, they're detrimental to the firearms community and an accident looking for a place to happen.

Bersa does something like this...

BERSA THUN45UCSS 45 ULTCMP 7RD SS

From Buds

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  14. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

Lefty here.
    I have S&W SIGMA 9mm
    It has no lefty controls.
    So I operate the trigger, slide release, and mag release with my trigger finger.
    It was a pain in the rear but heck now its just how I shoot.

But if budget is in mind and you want features? ????
    The Ruger P95. 9mm 15+1
    You can not find a pistol in that style with all those features.
    Single/double action trigger, ambidextrous mag release,
    Accessorie rail.... $375

15. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Who says a Glock doesn't have a safety? It has three of them just not a safety lever. Considering the millions of them in use, they are extremely safe guns.

16. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

I seen where it said they didn't have one too, I just get worn out with telling folks that's not true.