source for broken guns

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Medtac, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Medtac

Medtac New Member

How do I find broken guns to practice gunsmithing on. I scoured craigslist and some local estate sales with little luck.

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

You probably need to check with the local pawn shops.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

you can try running your own ad on craigs list or the local paper

4. triggerman770

triggerman770 New Member

brokern guns

one of my customers has good luck finding them on Auction Arms and Gunbroker

5. m72law

m72law New Member

gunbroker.com is where i have bought 40+ pistols & rifles w/missing,broken,wore,***.wrong parts...as cheap as $20.00;)of course the FFL fee was more:eek:

you can also check J&G sales as they have a gunsmith special categorie page,they'll have some neat stuff on it from time to time,cheap too.

goodluck

6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

As Stalking Bear said pawn shops usually have some broken guns.

7. alderoth

alderoth New Member

I've been hearing that going to gun shows usually turns up broken guns of all types. They are having one august 27th and 28th at the gulf coast colliseum. Yes my spelling sucks lol. I plan o. Going there to find some broken stuff to tinker with while I do online school stuff and get my business plan figured out. Will be awesome lol

8. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Broken Hearts........

AGI sent me an e-mail with the same request. What are your needs. Any thing that shoots a projectile...... Can you be more specific..... P M Me and we'll work out something.......Wills

9. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Gun shows are my primary source of project guns. I've baught several broken guns for a handful of dollar bills at a bunch of different gunshows. If you know anything about the guns, dont let the guy selling them know because sometimes they try and hike the price up.
    Pistols in particular are easy finds, since a lot of them get forgotten and rust in small spaces. I've noticed the old german saturday night specials are a common thing along with the break-top revolvers that were popular around the turn of the 1900s. Shotguns that still actually work but need a little elbow grease are pretty common, especially in the south. I bought a JC Higgins shotgun not too long ago for less than $100 and it works and shoots just fine, its going to be a gunsmithing school project to refinish the entire gun.

10. nillad10

nillad10 New Member

You could try deal4it.com.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Hey nillad10, welcome to the FTF. How about stopping by our "Introductions" area?

12. nillad10

nillad10 New Member

What do you mean? The Policy and terms and conditions? I read those when I signed up.

13. Ohio_Norm

Ohio_Norm New Member

I've been to a lot of Gun Shows in Ohio and have yet to find broken guns, Hand or Long, for sale or swap. The only parts you can buy are for M-1's, AR's or 1911's. I fact I just returned home from a "Show" in Niles, OH.

14. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

I know it sounds hokey but I wear a vest with " I buy broken guns and gun parts" painted neatly on the back to gun shows and trade days. A lot of people have broken guns but don't know what to do with them. Ive been a gunsmith for 30 years and got alot of my parts and part guns this way.

15. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I just bought an old 22 rifle today for $25( I just wanted the $100 front sight). I also bought a stock and a receiver today. all at a flea market.

16. kycol

kycol New Member

I have seen some broken guns at some local gun shows, but they seem to think they are still worth the price of new ones. Man I never find the bargains

SWSinTN likes this.