Sort of a Virus Scam

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sheriffjohn, Apr 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

"Free Breathing Mask" - Came from a couple of emails I get daily. A black foam mask with a breathing valve. Looks pretty good in the ad. "Free" except hefty shipping/handling cost. I ordered two ($16.95) March 18th, got them the other day. Individually packaged, they were damp when opened. Elastic foam, fit over ears. Washable and I use mine with to hold a paper-type painter's mask on, so it's better perhaps than my home-made mask. I ordered five more ($29.95).

SCAM PART: The site offers other stuff that is terrible over priced. $29.95 package of alcohol wipes, $29.95 package of rubber gloves, tiny first aid kit, cheap bookbag looking kinapsack, "survival" rechargeable AA batteries, etc. If you're not careful you can end up with a large expenditure for a small sack of nearly worthless junk. Anyone else found scams ?

towboater likes this.
  2. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

I get them all the time, in all unsolicited e-mails offering FREE something , but I just delete them and never open them

Sniper03 and towboater like this.

3. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

Deleted post........................................

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    sheepdawg likes this.
  4. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Sheriff I hate to piss on your rug. Or maybe I don’t. By your description the protective value of that mask is equal to a bandana.

I hate scalpers.

Dudes. Do not buy any of that stuff. All it does is give you a false sense of security and a reason to touch your face when you shouldn’t.

sheriffjohn likes this.
  5. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

+1, today I went to the grocery store and like in the past couple of weeks I've seen a few wearing mask, but this one took the cake the pie and the COKE...…………. guy had a mask made entirely from duct taped ,[​IMG]

I thought I was in a old RED GREEN episode of HANDYMAN CORNER [​IMG]

towboater likes this.
  6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

IF I really need them, I have full face and half face respirators- with the magenta colored cartridges. But for any of this stuff to actually WORK, you have to know how to use it. None of them really work when worn over a beard. So you got gloves. Big whoop. Why are you eating while wearing the gloves? And you just got in your car- but did not deglove first. And do you know HOW to deglove?

Been teaching the 40 hr HAZWOPER course for about 20 years- yeah, we covered all that. When you are working around Methyl Ethyl Ugly and Isobutyl Bad Stuff, you tend to pay attention in class. Meanwhile, I hum this real loud.....

https://oldschoolmusic.net/the-police-dont-stand-so-close-to-me-official-music-video/

ellis36 and towboater like this.
  7. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

We were messing around with asbestos at work today, well not me but I was in the room a couple times. This mask shortage might have saved me from mesothelioma, no mask no touch. I made sure I had a bandana on when I went in.

8. sheriffjohn

I agree. We don't have any local source for quality masks but this one combined with the painter's mask is better than the homemade one as it holds the painter mask tightly to the face. Management was in charge of infection control at her hospital and says the same thing as you - if it makes you feel good, ok, but it's a far cry from a quality surgical mask. Best to stay home, wash hands, clothes, and lysol stuff.

Mercator likes this.
  9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The microfiber fisherman buffs doubled work pretty well and are washable. They were fairly cheap like less than $2 each when you buy a pack. Better finished were more money. Now the prices have gone up and delivery is a month out. I tried tripling and could not breath through it. Doubled works.

sheriffjohn likes this.
  10. c3shooter

I find it ironic as all get out- where did all of the folks with healing crystals and essential oils GO????

The folks that were yapping at me to be using green cleaners that were more friendly to the environment have apparently told the whales and dolphins yer on yer own- and went straight to bleach and Lysol.

Fred_G, ellis36, Rifling82 and 2 others like this.
  11. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I remember reading that those microfiber things could leave microfibers in your lungs.

winds-of-change likes this.
  12. freefall

Saw a headline at Babylon Bee "Millions of women outraged that Essential Oils businesses declared Non-Essential"

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I have a ‘friend’ on Facebook who always touts colloidal silver and all kinds of herbal healing. But anytime she gets really in a jam (heart attack, stroke) she, of course, runs to the hospital and has surgeries. She takes daily maintenance meds from the evil Big Pharma who is out to keep everyone sick so they could make money. She claims when she was in labor that every time she screamed the nurse would slap her in the face and tell her to shut up. She’s so full of **** she stinks. I’m tired of her attacking the medical field that is full of kind, caring and compassionate people who chose to dedicate their life to caring for others.

ellis36, towboater and Oldoutlaw like this.
  14. freefall

I'm doing the colloidal silver. Can't say it works, can't say it's hurting anything.

15. sheriffjohn

Freefall, I must warn you about the silver. A man here used it (created by a fellow in Frankford, Missouri in his home). Took it for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. It turned him dark blue - not cyanotic (sp) but absolutely the most horrific shade you can imagine and he stayed that way for years to the day he died. I examined a small bottle of the stuff and found it was quite heavy in weight. Reminded me of aluminum paint you use on barn roofs. He was not a nice person - mean AND crazy - which has nothing to do with the "silver". Rigged dynamite/fertilizer to the light switch on the city water treatment plant, buried a stolen bulldozer, etc. Anyway ...watch that stuff, please.

16. sheriffjohn

Mr. Freefall: We had a man here who took a "silver" concoction made by a man in his home in Frankford, Missouri. He took it to cure Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. The stuff turned him dark blue (his entire body). His appearance was horrific and he stayed that way for years (until the day he died and afterward). I examined a small bottle but could not get a sample to test at a lab. It was quite heavy in weight and appeared to be similar to aluminum barn roof paint. The man was mean and crazy before he turned blue and the "silver" did nothing to cure either his demeanor nor the tick disease. One time he rigged dynamite and fertilizer to the light switch at the city water treatment plant, buried a stolen bulldozer, and in general scared people. Watch that stuff, please.

17. c3shooter

Let me introduce you to a very rare condition know as Argyria.

[​IMG]
    It has occurred as a result of a recessive gene- very small number of cases in one family in Kentucky. AND it can occur as a result of ingesting silver by mouth. Guess what? Color is permanent. And it looks a lot cuter on Papa Smurf than it does on you.

18. freefall

I'm doing about 1/2 tsp a day, have been off and on for several years now. I think I'm safe.
    And that guy looks better than I do!

19. sheriffjohn

That is exactly what he looked like. Thanks for the info as I never knew the name of the condition and he was blue before I knew him so I don't know if he woke up blue one morning or sorta changed gradually. Some called him "Blue Bill" but not to his face for he was crazy mean.

20. c3shooter

John- ran across this in a metals toxicology course some time ago. The stomach acid strips an electron from the silver, leaving it in a form similar to the silver on photo film. When subject is exposed to sunlight, he starts to "develop". Truly a "person of color". "Ma'am- do you think you could pick this person out of a line-up?"