Firearms Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was my shooting day , after cleaning my J Frame S&W . I practice only in double action , thinking of how the gun is wearing and looking at the hammer release in single and double action , the hammer in single action is completely to the rear , double is like three quarters back before it drops . All the way to the rear in single action I would think the hammer strike is more then double but is there a difference in wear if only shooting in double action?.
Chris

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Two different sears inside engaging the hammer. Your DA sear may get polished and worn a bit faster than the single action sear. But that’s about it that I can think of.

and round count would have to get pretty high to wear out the sear or hammer engagement surfaces.

Reactions: c3shooter

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doc
Makes sense
c3shooter
May not wear it out but will smooth out the double action.
The J's are a hand full of fun to shoot , I ask these assy questions to make sure wasn't doing something wrong to the little revolver. I wouldn't shoot +P in them , not rated , just 38spl. , snap caps when dry firing both have a firing pin attached to the hammer , not one solid piece . Thanks Again guys. Be Well
Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts