Sooo many choices

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by OUDAN, Jan 21, 2013.

1. OUDAN

OUDAN New Member

Literally I can't decide what to buy lol. Looking for my first CC gun, I have looked at everything from HK-Taurus all I know is I am 5'6 140 so can't be a huge gun. I know I don't want bulky which from what I have seen means I need a 9mm. SIG, S&W, Glock, HK i really don't know. Let me know what you guys like any any advice would be amazing lol

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

best suggestion is to hit the gun stores and pawn shops and start looking. see what fits you and your hand. the pistol that fits your hand well is the one you usually will shoot the most accurately.

set a budget of what you can afford to spend. don't worry about what others carry or shoot, as this is about what will work best for your needs. if you have a range near you that rents pistols, that is a good way to see what could be best for you.

your holster will make a huge difference in what you can carry effectively. don't cheap out in picking a holster. many people will try several types or brands before they finally settle on a particular one that works well for them.

3. OUDAN

OUDAN New Member

I have pretty much decided I don't want Glock, they are just too bulky. Not that I have really small hands just they feel bulky and I would think would be more of a pain to carry daily. I guess my question should have been more like is there really a quality difference? Idk have shot all my life but mostly rifles and such.

4. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Just about everything you listed shoots well.I am partial to Sig myself.Beretta makes a good pistol.Like what's already been said go get a hand full of everything and take into consideration how you're gonna carry and how much you're willing to shell out.In the end the one that fits you the best will be the one for you.

5. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Single stack is what you need.

Taurus is what I'd look at were I you. Used market opens up a lot. Look for CZ and Star.

6. OUDAN

OUDAN New Member

I just know that I need a smaller one whatever it is, I do have an issue with my pinkie finger being off the end of whatever I get. So I guess really I want
    Something not really wide
    Longer handle or extended clip
    Probably a 9 mm

Thanks for the help guys. Ill check out that Taurus. If anyone else can give me ideas now that I kinda know what I want in a CC gun I'm all ears. Maybe just some advice as to what to check out even.

7. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

To keep things in perspective, my Star Firestar 9mm is 1.1" wide, my Firestar chambered in 45acp is 1.2". Both are single stack. My Glock 30 in 45acp which is double stack is 1.3" wide.

The Glock 30 feels huge, it's amazing how much a fraction of an inch can change the feel of a gun in the hand.

8. OUDAN

OUDAN New Member

Yeah I totally agree I know that a Glock isn't what I want no matter what I have heard about how great they are. It's just too bulky for my hand.

9. Sdprice84

Sdprice84 New Member

I agree with beyond the box taurus makes some decent guns that are afordable. The millenium pro series are very nice. My first handun was a pt145. They are small enough to conceal and will still pack a punch. Id stay away from a 9mm...but im biased and like the bigger calibers. Good luck in your gun hunt!

10. OUDAN

OUDAN New Member

Why do you not like 9mm? Sorry first person who has mentioned to go with .40 vs 9 so in curious lol

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Tell us about your training/experience-

12. OUDAN

OUDAN New Member

Have shot all my life but mainly rifle shooting. With handguns I have shot my fathers ruger .357 the most. As for training none, I will be taking the class to get my CC though. I'm from Oklahoma so I grew up around guns just never owned my own.

13. indy36

indy36 New Member

What about the Bersa BP CC? They call it the BP9CC. It's a thin polymer gun in 9mm that would probably be perfect for this person.

image-2661859422.jpg

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Sounds like you just need to shoot as many as you can to see what "fits" ;)
    If you like the 357 you can't go wrong with a S&W DA 6 shooter for a CCW-

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Try shooting as many as you have the opportunity to shoot. If you have fired .357 magnums then I would say get a larger caliber like the .40. But get what suits you most importantly. You going to find man opinions here but the only one that truly matters is yours.

I like Ruger, but don't own any of their semi-auto pistols (other than a .22/45) but I can say that Ruger makes an excellent gun for the money. I am not too keen on Taurus. I have fired a some of them and don't care for them. I shoot any that are offered for me to try, but I wouldn't buy one myself.

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Hoss is right. I have an S&W L-frame Mountain Light- fires seven shots and is scandium framed - weighs very little (.357 magnum does kick a bit, but for practice I use .38 Special). Bit pricey though.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/955342095/SMITH_WESSON_386_SC_MOUNTAIN_LITE_357_MAG.htm

17. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I bought the Ruger Sr40 and I think it's a great gun, largish for carrying though and I'm 6' 260. I'm looking at the SR9c as I'm impressed with the platform. Agree that you should shoot as many as you can before pulling the trigger on your purchase (pun intended)

18. eric1985al

eric1985al New Member

Check out kahr. They make great cc guns. And their line from cw to pm has about anything you could want up to .45 acp. Plus it's american made. Buy american!!!

19. OUDAN

OUDAN New Member

I will check out Kahr I like to buy American for sure! I should have said I do not want a revolver, that's just what I have shot the most of. Obviously just need to find a big gun shop tht has everything lol. If any if you can help me narrow down to a few nice narrow ish options that would be great! Thanks again for everyone's advice so far! I am not wanting a bottom end gun either and Taurus may not be that it just kinda comes across that way. I would rather spend the $$ on a really nice gun and be happy with it then spend less and want a different one in 6 mo.

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Wise-
    Narrow down the field & hollar back ;)