Sons of Guns?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Thomas Carey, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Thomas Carey

Thomas Carey New Member

Of late I have gotten hooked on the Sons of Guns show on Discovery.
    Sons of Guns : Discovery Channel

I blame this all on gun show promoter Bob Pucci who first told me about the show. Have the rest of you seen it as of yet?

2. freefall

freefall New Member

3. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I've seen them all.
    Its more of the producers making sure they have people doing stupid/cool **** to make a good show, as opposed to a show where **** just happens like OCC.

You can tell every line that comes out of anyones mouth has been repeated a dozen times until its up-to-par with the producer. Kinda sucks, but they stuff they are building is why I watch the show.

The suppressed AK was impressive.

4. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

I personally am not a fan of the show. I think the show irresponsibility when it comes to firearms (like shooting flares off over the business across the street), their lack of interest in educating people wanting a handgun for Self-defense (they just run the people out of the shop) and their "no one has done it before" attitude about themselves. I also think that they can be equated to a 16 year old playing in a grown mans game. This is evidenced by the multiple "government contractors" that they "invent" "new" weapon systems for.

That's just this man's opinion on the show.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

seems over dramatized to me. i like shows that dont have to try to have the moron segments in it. kinda like axemen you got those two groups of morons one in the swamp and that old coot and his son.

you cant fake stupid.

6. Harleygunner

Harleygunner New Member

I watched the first season of "Axemen", but it became more apparent that these guys are like a bunch of grade school drop-outs doing an incredibly dangerous job. Why is it that tv producers are always promoting these kinds of shows?
    I guess it's too hard to come up with a show with "adults" who can do their jobs, without constant in-fighting, and chest thumping. But that wouldn't sell, would it?

7. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

yeah, exactly! with "all" the "sales" he's making with the quantity and price tags, he should be a millionaire with @least 10 or 20 more workers. he's just an @ssho!e that doesn't "pander" (as he would prolly put it) to the "lowly" gun-owner.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

In red jackets defense they are a class 3 shop and dealer. They don't sell many regular firearms. Did you notice that the door is always locked? You don't go to them to buy a first gun you go to them to get fa and sbr's and suppressors.

That being said they do some stupid **** that they shouldn't.

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

That's a valid point. Of the few episodes I have seen a couple come to check out a handgun for HD and knows nothing about them. They look at a 9mm with a can. If I was a company that made a great deal of money on suppressors as they say then this demographic would be something I would not have a lot of interest in. But I would think getting them to a "more normal" shop and an instructor wold be the the thing to do.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If I remember correctly.....

Disconvery Channel was looking for a gunsmith shop that was thought to be run a little like OCC a few years back.
    If this is all they got, then it tells me that there are no "weird" small shops, but a bunch of professionals.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

A lot of what you don't see is laying on the floor of the cutting room. It is called editing. These guys do what they do and they are good at it. Are they the best bunch of guys to be reping us to the world. Not really, but they are a lot better than some out there.

I am sure they just didn't kick the couple looking for a HD gun right out the door. In fact I seen one episode where they sent a lady to a gun store for training and to buy a gun. Red Jacket I do believe deals only in Class III items. The owner and the main gunsmith are smart and knowledgeable about what they do. I would have NO PROBLEM letting them build me a can or working on my Class III Firearm.

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I would imagine it is more difficult to find a gun shop willing to allow cameras behind the scenes than a bike shop. If the BATFE sees an episode and decides they didn't follow all the laws to the letter they could lose their FFL in a heartbeat or be arrested. Remember they have to worry about federal, state and local laws and we all know how confusing they can be.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Great point Yunus....

14. crusty11b20

crusty11b20 New Member

It's Discovery, what did you expect?

I’m sure that RJF is a fine company for what they are(they are to firearms manufacturing what rim shops are to the automotive industry), I just have a problem with Discovery, they edit it so much that it makes it look like anyone can walk in and buy a Class III or NFA weapon. I’ve only seen on two episodes any hint that there are additional forms and fees, not to mention waiting periods for those weapons.

And has anyone noticed that on the Masterkey episode that Marko is a SWAT officer, and then on the Katyusha launcher episode, Marko is an “Independent Contractor”? Totally staged and scripted. I’m not even gonna go into “DB” the “Independent Contractor” on the Remote turret episode.

Like I said, I’m sure RJF is a fine company, I just can’t get over how edited to an agenda this show is. Discovery is owned by a very left leaning company, their CEO donating tons of money to gun ban supporting politicians.

This show just adds fuel to the fire by showing a bunch of non professional shooters and unsafe practices.

15. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I like it, I think it brings firearms and issues associated with them to a friendlier place, having a face (a cute one too, the girl) is a positive move for gun issues.

That being said, why act? You're gunsmiths.

16. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I havn't seen the American Chopper video till I watched it on here...How...STUPID.....A handle-bar gun with Flames......I havn't seen a few of the video's on here........

17. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

...And this show is starting to get old also...Again maybe it's me...but I know I'll catch myself watching-it again so I'll put-it in the channel surfing section...You know the channels you jump to when a comerchall is on....