Sonic and Chili's Announce No Gun Policies

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Bigcountry02, May 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

2. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Damn anti gunners... I really liked Chilis

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

How can Sonic a drive up restaurant enforce a no firearms policy? There goes my late night half price milkshakes. I can understand Chili's but Sonic is way out of line to tell me what I can have in my car/truck. Guns are not illegal. But that level of stupid should be illegal.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

They only ask not to display guns openly. CCW is fine.

In the Old West many establishments had similar rules. "Check your gun at the door".

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

all the Sonic drive-ins i have ever been to are drive-ins. now maybe in other states that may have indoor seating, but i hardly think they can enforce such a thing on what guns are in my vehicle. funny, how are they going to know if guns are in my vehicle? i don't go around advertising such things to begin with.:rolleyes:

6. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

So much for my Orange Cream Slush at Sonic. Chilli's eh...if CCW is ok, them and OutBack are both an Hr. + away anyway, like Olive Garden and Red Robin,...half the time the service is poor and the food isn't done correctly,.. I'd rather support locally owned instead of Chains, with a few exceptions,...

Edit: Axxe: there is one place here that has a large draw of Open road Bikers ( large bikes) that the owner and employees are all very good, the service is outstanding, and the owner and his brothers and cousins are half the Workforce of the store. Everything is made from Scratch, and he does Holiday baking for Takeaway service, and also has an outdoor dining area with a fountain, as well as a very big inside, with a main dining area and two party rooms,..
    Needless to say if I want to eat a Steak when I'm out, and not grill it myself on my double Barrel,. I'm going there. Wife didn't have to ask me where I want to go for my Birthday( in about 6 weeks)...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  7. mseric

mseric New Member

From the Article:

A Sonic spokesman said the company will defer to local laws with respect to storing guns in vehicles, but said it will no longer permit firearms in its dining areas.

“We’re asking that customers refrain from bringing guns onto our patios or into our indoor dining areas,” said Patrick Lenow, Sonic's vice president of public relations.

8. mseric

mseric New Member

From the Article:

“We recognize that the open carry of firearms creates an uncomfortable atmosphere and is not permitted under many local liquor laws,” Ashley Johnson, a spokeswoman for Chili's' parent company, Brinker International, said in an email. “So, we kindly ask that guests refrain from openly carrying firearms into our restaurants and we will continue to follow state and local laws on this issue.”

9. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Being the grounds for the open carry movement demonstrations is being viewed as hurting business.

That's why all these places are making new anti-open carry policies. They don't want to be involved in the conversation. I don't blame them either, there are many pro-2A who are against Open carry, it's not a popular viewpoint.

I'm all for open carry but not just because you can, I'm for open carry when you need to for whatever reason as long as its not "to make a scene".

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Im for open carry but folks take it way to far with the intent on rubbing faces in the issue. Strutting around with a rifle or a pistol in a dropleg tactical holster does the cause no good. This is the backlash you get.

Most business dont care if your ccwing or not what they dont want is a disturbance that reduces cash flow. When someone sits down in a chili's with a ak47 propped against the wall that causes negative cash flow.

11. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

I'm confused. How is them making new anti-gun policies them not being involved in the conversation? Seems to me that that's them taking a side.

12. mseric

mseric New Member

They were forced into making a decision by those "demonstrators" demanding they do so.

They demonstrated for one reason, to call out the Corporate bigwigs to choose sides.

Businesses operate for one reason and one reason only, to make a profit. If AR/AK toten demonstrators cut into their profit margin they will be asked to leave.

It is a tough call for many businesses and one that many would rather not have to make, but when forced to choose, they choose. Then the losers go cry to mamma and the nearest internet site or social media site that will listen.

13. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

All of the Sonics I have frequented have outdoor seating areas, "picnic tables" if you will.

Only a dumbazz would sit at a Sonic picnic table with a rifle strapped on. Are these idiots on Bloomberg's payroll?

14. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Ate lunch at a Zaxby's west of Atlanta, GA last week, among a group of HOG's was an open carrier. He had either a Ruger SR or Kahr of some sort strapped on. From what I observed no one cared that someone was OC'ing as discreetly as possible. Not even the two cops a couple of tables away seemed concerned.

Was the OC'er a cop, I have no idea. I just ate my lunch and thought if SHTF, I am going to get behind that guy!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  15. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

Business's are tired of the showboating OC'ing. The easiest way to stop it is to say no OC on premises. Those that CC do not make a rucus about and disturb business. These same establishments probably did not care if you OC as long as business went on as usual. But as they say "A few bad apples ruin it for everyone". It was not anything personal, it was a business decision.

16. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

It says "... not to open carry ... ."

That's reasonable.

As long as they don't mind CCW then that's reasonable.

17. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Exactly. Business is business. It's nothing personal.

18. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

They are a business and the bottom line is profit. They obviously feel that people open carrying will hurt their profits more than people's fears of eating without carrying a firearm.

19. Yunus

Yunus New Member

They are making these policies after there are pro open carry demonstrations on their properties. The open carry movement is forcing them to be part of the conversation where as they used to just say follow local laws.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to think looking over some things being said this is likely due to some idiots OCing in a manner that possibly disturbed other guests at their establishments. due to this, they made a decision in what looks like a business decison and not a political one, to maintain smooth running of their business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.