Son of a gun; I’m out of ammo!

Discussion in 'Kentucky Gun Forum' started by Chuck Roberts, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Chuck Roberts

Chuck Roberts Active Member

Today after work I hung up the miniature humanoid steel target which is about 12 inches wide by 18 tall out to 40 yards for a little tune up practice at distance.

Went down to the basement and all I could find was 8 rounds of handloads!!
    I do have factory ammo on hand, but during this ammo shortage, I like to save the good stuff.
    I guess I’m going to have to find time and sit down at the bench and fix that!

I have been keeping in practice by shooting a few mags two or three times a week utilizing various defensive drills, focusing on different things to conserve ammo.

I don’t shoot as much as I like, but at least I can shoot enough to retain my skill.

targa, Sniper03, towboater and 3 others like this.
  2. Lonewolf Mcquade

Lonewolf Mcquade Active Member

Gotta Super glue your butt to the bench this weekend! :D

Shopfox, Chuck Roberts and towboater like this.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

That is why I shoot a lot of 22lr.

4. Chuck Roberts

I do too, but I don’t have any 22 defensive oriented pistols.

JTJ likes this.
  5. JTJ

My wife has an SR22. She cant handle a 9mm handgun any longer but she can handle an AR9 braced pistol. We have a pair of S&W 15-22 rifles. The ergonomics are identical to the AR15 and the AR9. Her 15-22 and AR9 are carrying circle dot red dot sights. The one on the AR9 is instant on. She will put a couple hundred rounds of 22lr on silhouettes at 3-15 yards. Then 25-50 rounds of 9mm through the AR9. You dont want to be her target. I do have a 22lr LCR that pairs with my 38 LCR. It could be used defensively but we had a couple of incidents with vicious dogs in our neighborhood and I carry big enough to take down an attacking dog. One neighbor barely made it in his house. He carries a 38 revolver now. Smallest I carry otherwise is a P32 with Euro fmj ammo. American 32acp is anemic and the shorter HP rounds can rimlock.

6. Chuck Roberts

My wife carries a Legion Series 938 and a Keltec P32. She doesn’t shoot for recreation to much, but does practice her draw and shooting while moving.

Myself, I alternate between a Colt LW Commander or Springfield Defender Series A1 in 45 Auto. My other carry gun is a G26 carried AIWB when tighter clothing doesn’t allow for adequate coverage of the 1911’s carried in a Milt Sparks SS.

My other carry options are revolvers.

I handload all of my practice ammo and some carry ammo for the 45’s and 38/357 guns, but don’t bother with 9mm since it’s generally so cheap to buy in bulk.

Luckily, I have a decent supply of 9mm on hand to see me thru:)

Lonewolf Mcquade and JTJ like this.
  7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

As JTJ stated.
    The S&W 15-22 Rifle is an excellent little Rifle for use for training drills since it is a whole lot less expensive to practice the drills with. And can be set up identical regarding Optics, Lights and other accessories as your Tactical AR-15 Rifle. And great for wives and kids to practice drills with and shoot for fun.:D

8. JTJ

I load for the 38 and 357 revolvers and rifles. Not my main platform but they could be if I were in a state with restrictions.

9. Chuck Roberts

I don’t train with the AR rifles, although I have several.
    It might be presumptuous on my part, but after carrying the A2 around for 8 years in just about every crap hole country in the world, they just don’t interest me in the slightest. I have 3 Colts and a DD that pretty much never leave the safe except for maybe once a year to verify zero, and then back in the shadows they go, lol.

Now, my lever guns get a lot more attention and trigger time, but I handload for them also.

Im really not a big fan of substituting a rimfire for a centerfire where self defense practice is concerned though. I personally feel that the recoil impulse and feel are important to get use to, especially when doing drills like the Wizard or 5x5 where speed and split times are important.

But that’s just my personal opinion. It could be argued that any trigger time is better than no trigger time.
    Luckily, I’m no where close to that at this point.

Lonewolf Mcquade likes this.
  10. Sniper03

Chuck

I am also not a fan of converting an AR-15 from 5.56 to a 22 Cal. with a conversion kit.
    That is why I purchased a S&W 15-22.

11. JTJ

My wife does not like shooting at the bench. She prefers to shoot off hand at targets close enough to hit easily and see the damage. She likes semi autos. As long as I can keep her shooting it is a win even if it means losing $1200 worth of guns and sights. She took HER 15-22 from me too and I had to buy another one.

Lonewolf Mcquade and Sniper03 like this.
  12. Sniper03

JTJ
    I think that is a Gender Thing!:p
    I have been the Victim of that myself over the years! Imagine That!:rolleyes:
    The old saying what is mine is mine and what is yours is mine!:p:p:p:p:p
    But not really, my Wife is a Jewel and has her own guns and likes to shoot.
    1 ea. AR-15 Purple She got for a Birthday Present
    2 ea. Ruger SR 7.62 AR
    1 ea. 20 Ga. Shotgun
    2 ea. Pistols
    As long as we can afford it she doesn't care what I buy! And I do not care what she buys. And let me tell you she is an Amazon Junky!:rolleyes: Her Daddy called her the Gadget Queen!:p

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    JTJ and Lonewolf Mcquade like this.