Sometimes There Is Not Enough Words

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by bullet, Oct 26, 2012.

1. bullet

bullet New Member

Sometimes there is not enough words to describe the job Nosler has done in thinking out the design and configuration by combining the components of the M48 TGR. As you all know I have an M48 TGR 7mm08 and you also know how my M48 just digest most bullets and loads and is an extremely accurate rifle, being a true 1/4" rifle with some loads and keeps all my loads with bullets tried under and inch. Yes, I go to great links with my reloading, using all that I have learned over the years to produce good loads.

Now that said, I think it was the right thing for Nosler to go with the 24" barrel for the 7mm08 while still holding down the weight of the rifle instead of a 22" barrel and for them to chose the hand lapped PacNor for the barrel was another good move. I say this because today at the range with me being one who is given to being a tinkerer (go figure), decided to test Q/L estimation that a 160gr Speer SBT Hot Core could be driven without being over max at 2800fps plus.

Well today at the range I tested their theory and the 24" barrel paid off in that I was able to drive the 160gr bullet at 2820fps on average using W760 with not any pressure signs. Now get this, my extreme spread on both groups tried was 6 and the deviation was 3 and the worst of the two groups was .662".

Now what makes this so wonderful is that this 160gr bullet with a BC of .515 matches the LR Duplex drop dots on my Leupold FX II 6x36mm almost perfectly. With such a low extreme spread of 6 and a deviation of 3 this will be a fine hunting and long range load. This Nosler M48 TGR is an extremely fine rifle.

Here are the calculation figures if the drop is sight in at 200yds zero using the LR Duplex by Leupold in my FX II 6x36 mm

Range Aim point actual drop

100 yards Cross hair +1.78

200 yards cross hiar 0.0

300 yards first dot - 7.9

400 yards second dot - 23.1

500 yards third shot - 46.7

Here is how my 160gr load with .515 BC works out at 2820fps

Range Aim point actual drop

100yds Cross Hair +1.7
    200yds Cross Hair 0"
    300yds First Dot -7.4"
    400yds Second Dot -21.4"
    500yds Third dot -42.8"

Still having 2,000 foot pounds of energy out to 262yds.

2. bullet

bullet New Member

I was sceptical at first myself and when I fired the first round I looked at the chronograph read out on screen and decided to take a picture unless this velocity was not achieved again, but the high velocities was 2824fps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep, this load will certainly do. :)

Here is a mushroom I saw at the range and just thought it was pretty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

How far have you had a chance to shoot so far? How many grains of 760? 45+gr Gona try any other bullets.

4. bullet

bullet New Member

I have practice out to 600yds, I have done a great deal of load work, Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, Barnes and Speer.

I do not give out powder charges because every rifle is different and I hope you understand my view. Q/L will give you some starting loads.

http://ammoguide.com/?article=pricescorner/120901

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Now, there's some randomness...

"My rifle is awesome, my loads are awesome, oh look, a pretty mushroom..."

Hey, good shooting man! Keep it up, keep having fun, and keep us informed!

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

excellent post there Bullet. very good shooting as well. sounds like the rifle and ammo are in perfect harmony!

BTW, nice looking mushroom!:D

7. bullet

bullet New Member

Thanks guys, that is a cool looking mushroom, I thought folks would get a kick out of it.

Here is another load but BC is not as good nor was the extreme spread or deviation but it sure shot good at 100yds.

Nosler M48 TGR 7mm08 24" barrel, 140gr Sierra HPBT G/K 47.5grs W760, Fed 210 match primers, Rem brass, 2858fps average, 9 shot group, hunting load, ready for hunting season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Garadex

Garadex New Member

i got a kick out of how random it was, but awesome groups.

9. bullet

bullet New Member

Thanks Garadex :D

10. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Randomness! Mushrooms I found the other day, I'm eating popcorn now, haven't shot in four days, not working this weekend, ...

I need another beer.

Attached Files:

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I did not care about ammo the load you use as much as just being interested in how much of max you were. A shoot a 7mm but a different one and never found the hot core to my likeing. Glad it works well for you.

Now I see you are posting loads. Uhmm Thanks. Nice rifle

12. bullet

bullet New Member

I decided to since these were under max but they are for my rifle. 47grs W760 was the load. Best to start at 46grs and work up.

13. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

But was the mushroom edible?

14. cottontop

cottontop Guest

...nor not enough words used correctly.
    cottontop

15. bullet

bullet New Member

No, you don't eat that one.

16. bullet

bullet New Member

Tested my 160gr Speer SBT 7mm08 round that has a BC of .519 (not .515)on gallon jugs and is sighted in at 230yds zero, being -5.3" low at 300 which is my first drop dot and from 0-300yds the highest point is only 2.7" high and the rest of the bullets flight is perfectly matched to my dots out to 500yds, and with my 500yds dot I can actually go to 550yds. Yes, I like this, I am pumped for this season.

I used five rounds to hit four 1 gallon water jugs. 300, 400, 500 and 550. My friend and I went to his property at day light this morning since Church was not till 10:00am and he has a MS Power line on his property and we had no wind plus the trees block north or south winds because of the pine thickets that run along both sides of the power line. I he took his four wheeler and set up the four jugs when he reached the spot that my range finder said was the distance.

I sat in the same chair I put in my ground blind that has and arm rest I put the first dot right in the middle of the jug and hit the 300yds jug, the 400 jug was almost covered with the second dot but I hit it and the third dot covered the jug completely at 500yds but I got the left edge of it. I put it the same on the jug at 550 and the round looked like it hit just left and short of the jug, so I put the dot on the very top of the jug holding a little right of center and caught the left bottom edge. My friend and I both were surprised and I was pleased.

Had to order some more of the 160gr Speer SP BT bullets because I have five loaded rounds left of this bullet.

17. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like you are prepped and pepped for the hunt. Is your rifle q right hand twist? Do you have a level on the gun/scope? Or was there a breeze? I ask because of the bullets hitting left.

18. bullet

bullet New Member

I felt my elbow moving on the arm rest of my blind chair so I will leave my scope where it is and will test one more time before I deer hunt.

19. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I love my 7-08!:D It is one of the most efficient and effective rounds out there!
    So far elk, deer, hogs, and yotes have given their all to prove it!;)