Sometimes the whole package is better

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by IGETEVEN, Apr 27, 2010.

1. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I have been wanting to build another AR, but a very reputable and reliable AR package was offered recently that gave me an opportunity to kill two birds with one shot. After I had priced this unit separately with the items I wanted, the offered whole package was indeed close to $400 cheaper and already completed and would be ready for range break-in on arrival. Not only that, as I gained a new preference built lower to invest in a nice upper barrel of caliber choice in the near future, keeping my other SUR units complete and dedicated.

I would still prefer to build my own AR's if given the choice and monetary savings, but sometimes you just gotta sacrifice self pride, admit to laziness and the lack of patience. The only way to satisfy the hunger and get that quick fix is to purchase the already complete package. :rolleyes:

Was this wrong?

Jack

2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Your getting soft in your old age jack.:D

Just take it apart and put it back together if it will make you feel better.:rolleyes:

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It's never wrong to acquire a new firearm. :cool:

BTW, what does SUR mean?

4. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Sport Utility Rifle

5. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Planning on getting an AR myself and as you mentioned, some rifle deals are just difficult to beat especially after you factor shipping on components.

I am looking at DDM4v3 right now and it can be had for less than $1,300 and it looks almost the perfect AR for me after adding a couple accessories.

Counting my pennies now and hope the price don't go up soon.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Getting a good deal is never a bad thing. Half the reason I advocate building your own is to gain the knowledge of how things work. Especially for a first timer.

In your case Jack, I think we can sign off your Apprentice Card on AR function. :cool:

Congrats on the new purchase!

JD

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I wanted to build mine but got a deal too god to pass up.

Next up is I think an Oly 243wssm upper for me. I want something with a little more oumph to whacka the ground hogs.

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

So the .223 isn't enough to KO 'em?

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

A young guy on another forum told a similar story. I guess a reputable company had some blemished receivers. We are talking the manufacturers stamp. He bought a complete 16" barrel AR for 450.00, included 3 mags, sling, detachable/fold down sights (A3) and plastic hard case. That is a good buy! Still comes w/ a full warrantee. I wish I had the $450.00 to pick one up.

10. CA357

Not meaning a hijack here, but would my Garand be an SUR in this case? ;)

11. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Depends. It certainly could fall into that catagory, if just using the literal meaning of SUR, and a modified Garand. I'm not sure if SUR term requirements have anything implied that I've missed, but generally, I think any semi-automatic, not meant primarily for hunting, rifle should qualify as an SUR. But I've only recently learned the term myself, so there could be details I'm not aware of.

I would think though that a Garand in original form wouldn't be a SUR, but would be SURplus instead? :p

Edit: Okay, roast me now for the bad pun. I've been on a roll with those lately and fully deserve it :D

12. russ

russ New Member

You got a link to that??

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I think you did the right thing Jack, you can't ignore a $400 savings. Really the most important thing about building is choosing the correct parts and designing a solid rifle that's ready to go. And that's where I see so many people fail, they don't do their homework before selecting components and slap them together, ending up with a frankengun that needs work and upgrades before being halfway decent. You see that over and over in AR forums.

So this rifle you designed (but had the factory build) is more of a build than most out there! The thought and parts selection that goes into the gun is more important than being the first to put it together.

For my first AR last year I wanted to assemble the whole thing but ended up just building a stripped lower. I found a complete and test fired upper just the way I wanted it for less than the individual parts. Couldn't justify spending more for the same thing.

But we do want to know more about your new friend!

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Not until you put a green laser on it Don!

15. CA357

That would be a sacrilege!

16. moshpit

moshpit New Member

If that's sacrilege, then the things I'd do to a Garand would be considered outright heretical! W00t for being a heretic!

17. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Wow!
    I just bought a new AR myself on saturday and strangely had the same experience.
    Had all my components picked out online and just had one more click to send the funds on two websites for the upper and lower. Decided to take a trip to a somewhat close shop to see if the had any lowers in stock to avoid the shipping to FFL part.
    Walked out with a new AR complete for the around the same price for the upper I had selected.

Saved money & got instant gratification-----I don't think that can be wrong:)

18. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I would love to blow $450 on something like that! Where did he get it? Do you know?