Somethings in my 10/22 stock!!!!

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by HKSlinger, Dec 16, 2010.

1. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Picked up a 10/22 for the wife awhile back. I removed the barrel/receiver form the stock,because I'm a guy and that's what we do,and noticed where the barrel fit into the stock there was what looked liked a smeared, dried Hershey bar. Now I have never messed with glass bedding and have no idea what it looks like. Could this be bedding material? Or a forgotten candy stash? Also, by the way this stuff is packed in there, it looks like if it were removed, the barrel would have a pretty good space on ether side from the stock. I was thinking maybe someone tried to fit it for a bull barrel. Actually it looks more like a Snickers bar,however I didn't see any peanuts. :p

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Sounds like someone used some fiberglass and resin for a better fit. Hard to say without pics.

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

pics...yup..that's what's needed here...pics ;)

4. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

I'll try to give ya'll a pics fix, if I can figure out how to do it.:confused:

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

What's it taste like?

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

By the explanation it could be dog droppings. We shall never know without PICS

7. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Ya know,a little like chicken! :eek: Yeah,yeah I'm working on pics..

8. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

O.k. here it is.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  9. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Looks like a damn peanut butter cup. Thanks alot HK now I have a jones for one. Great pics, I can be of no assistance as I have never seen that look before.

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

That so looks like it's a bedding of some sort. But I can't remember seeing in on a 10-22. Guess someone was trying to accurize the rifle. Or it's smooshed bullion cubes. That would explain the chicken taste:p

11. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Looks like epoxy to me.

12. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

I'm not sure what it is. Shoots great though.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  13. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Looks like Brownell's AcraGlass gel. Someone did a so-so attempt at glass
    bedding the barrel. At least they remembered to use the release agent.:)

14. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yep, someone has made a feable attempt at bedding the barrel. I take it this was a used 10/22 you bought? Truthfully, the 10/22 does better with a freefloated barrel and a small rubber pad attached in the stock's barrel channel a couple of inched forward of the receiver. If the gun shoots good the way it is, I wouldn't mess with it.

The toughest thing with a 10/22 is getting a consistent torque on the action screw when you re-assemble the thing after having it apart. Recently I saw a 6" change in the point of impact at 50 yards by just tightening my action screw 1/2 of a turn from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock. Barrel droop has always been an issue with these rifles.

15. Highpower

Highpower New Member

A bit of a contradiction isn't it?

I agree that looks like a half hearted attempt at bedding the barrel. I have however done one of my stock 10/22's the same way (but more neatly... :p) bedding the entire length of the barrel channel. Shoots just fine with no shift in zero.

I have seen 10/22 receivers snap in half due to having a bull barrel hanging (free floated) off the front of the aluminum receiver - an exaggeration of the barrel droop issue mentioned above.
    IMO... if you are going to free float a 10/22 you should either go with a threaded barrel -or- (what I chose to do) use an extended scope base that ties the barrel & receiver together. The barrel is drilled & tapped so that the scope base helps support the barrel along the full length of the receiver.

Just my unsolicited 2¢ :cool:

16. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

It looks like somebody bedded the barrel channel but sure missed a lot of surface.

17. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Thanks for all the information, even from one (who will remain nameless) that's easily manipulated into a "jones" for peanut butter cups through visual snippets ;) But like I said, it shoots great. I don't guess I'll mess with it. I was just curious about the stuff that looked out of place in the stock.

18. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Hey Stalk,. What did you use (in your pic.)to hang that big boy with? The rafter of a house? Looks a little bigger than what we use for whitetail around these parts. :D

19. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The guide has a monster setup using a 4 wheeler winch and a big handmade gambrel made specifically for elk. He has a good setup for those times they're lucky enough to be able to get them out whole.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

ultra light barrels work really well with a standard 10/22 receiver when free-floating, heavy weight barrels not so good without some support.