something you dont see everyday!!

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by JonM, Nov 7, 2012.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

here is my marlin 1895 gbl in 45-70 sporting an acog!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just finished putting on the xs rail with ghost ring sights. the acog is just for giggles its getting a nikon african monarch with qd rings giving me fast access to the irons.

installed the small aperture. front sight is white bar insert

[​IMG]

installed a wild west aluminum mag follower and best of all a "Bear Proof" ejector!!

[​IMG]

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Hell Jon,Put a couple lights,some black furniture,and a bayonet on it and it'll be so tacticool all the ninja's will want to buy it from ya!

Those ghost sights are really nice,and Wild West makes some great stuff from what I've heard.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

a rail on a levergun is a little odd but its the only way to get a usable qd scope mounted. cant use the acog as there isnt enough eye relief with one not to have it pounded into your eye socket from a 400grain bullet launching out at 1900fps

the sights are integrated into the rail which makes it really handy

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  4. JonM

JonM Moderator

That thing is hideous. I mean i have a valid reason for my additions and mods. Thats just stupid

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Jon, what the hell were you thinking? Putting a acog on a lever gun? That's just stupid. Everyone knows a red dot sight works much better. :D :p

6. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

It may be but that thing was the most popular rifle in the Mossberg booth at SHOT. I think it is a bit on the WTH were you thinking side of things. If you look at it though the lever gun was the first Hi Cap assult rifle ever made.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

I chalk that up to the same thing as honey boo boo. Every one likes a freakshow but no one is going to bring one home.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Okay. [​IMG]

Tell me why this is unusual? I'm trying to learn.

9. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Because he put a Picatinny rail and an ACOG on to a lever action. These are normally reserved for AR/ AK style Tactical rifles.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

an acog just doesnt work on a thumping rifle like a 45/70 the eye rlief is waaaay to short and you will bash your face in using one on that gun. its just funny looking.

a typical lever gun doesnt even utilize a scope much less a rail system. leverguns that are scoped are either a scope or irons. this new xs combo rail lets me keep my irons and utilize a qd scope mount in case something happens to the optics i can switch to the iron sights or just take the scope off for fast movers like yotes and pigs. all without tools. then stick the scope back on and im back to a magnified optic.

its heresy to a cowboy type but i dont care i would rather have versatile usable ghost ring sights that crappy v-notch sights.

11. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

45/70s were tested in the 1800s for mile shots, Hope your Acog has enuff clicks on the dials to adjust for the arch.

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

ACOG. it stands for advanced combat opticial gunsight..
    basiclly its a sight that is made for the military to put on m16/AR15. its trually an amzing sight.. just not meant for a lever gun..

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

LOL no im not going to be using it on that gun its my optic for my bcm lghtweight middy. ive got a qd mount coming in on tuesday from midwest industries. the owner is getting me one as he didnt have any at his storefront when i stopped in today. im going to be using a nikon 1-4x african monarch. its a good solid scope that stands up to the abuse put out by a 458 winmag

midwest industries are truly an awesome progun bunch of folks making great products and they truly go above and beyound to get what the customer wants.

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Thank you for the explanation. I get it now. And Jon, you have always marched to your own drummer with your guns. :D

I hope to get a Henry Lever rifle and I would like to scope it. I didn't realize lever action guns aren't typically scoped.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

15. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member