Something I thought I'd never see again.......

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by winds-of-change, Mar 24, 2013.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I was at the local WalMart last week. I wandered by to see what ammo they had stocked. The ammo wasn't where it usually was. I wandered around the sporting goods section and came across..............a display with rifles in it. There were about 10 different kinds of rifles/shotguns for sale. Including a very cute pink Cricket. When I moved into this area in 1986, the WalMart sold firearms. I was an 'anti-gunner' then and never really looked. Then, for some reason I don't know, our WalMart stopped selling firearms. This was about 10 years ago. I don't know if they carried ammo or not as I was never in the market. Then I got educated about firearms and bought one of my own. i bought my ammo from WalMart but still, there were never any long guns for sale there. Just last week, I saw they are once again selling a small selection of long guns. Next time I'm there I'll have to take a closer look at what they had in the display case. I wonder what prompted them to bring back the rifles and shotguns for sale. :confused:

2. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

$$$$$$$$ I am sure;).
    I had a friend that worked in a sporting section at Walmart, he told me Wal-Mart's profit I'm firearm sale is minimal.
    It does bring people to the business.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Weird. The WalMart here has been selling rifles and shotguns as long as I can remember. Must be a regional thing.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, same reason they sell anything else.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!

Same reason they do not sell snow shovels in Key West, but do in Rosemont IL. In order to sell firearms in a given store, WallyWorld has a significant $$$ investment. In addition to floor space, license costs and secure storage, they have to train staff, may have state license requirements, and they are exposed to getting whacked with fines by gun regulators if they do not do things right.

While many folks have screamed about WallyWorld NOT selling guns in some stores, it is a straight business call. IF the return on the money they invested in being able to sell guns is not enough, OR if they lose money. you better believe there will be bicycles and volley balls in that space.

By the way- some of those folks screaming were ALSO screaming that they would never BUY guns or ammo from WallyWorld (Duh- If'n you ain't buying, why would you think they would continue to TRY to sell?)

Myself- am glad to see companies like wallyworld that DO sell guns, At one time, J C Penney, Sears, Montgomery Wards and Western Auto Hardware stores not only SOLD guns, but had their own store brand names on guns made for them. People that would never enter a gun store (like Winds-before-the-change) were still accustomed to seeing guns, walking past guns, seeing normal people SHOPPING for guns.

When we lose that, the polarization increases.

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Probably the only products in the store that were made in the USA

6. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

I seem to recall reading WalMart had mad a corporate decision to start re-introducing firearms into stores that they had been phased out of, nationally, some time ago.

The last modern gun I tried to buy was a pink Crickett too BTW.

7. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

I can reach 5 WalMarts with in about 20 to 30 miles and only 1 has firearms but they have a great selection, reasonable prices and will special order if you want something not in stock.

8. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

All things are possible via the "Cosmos and Wally-Mart..! :confused:

9. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

At the local WalMart with firearms you must pay at the sporting goods counter there, so if there was any theft it would have to be employees from the stock room as everything is behind glass and you have to get an employee to touch one.

10. chrishiggin29

chrishiggin29 Member

I remember when Walmart sold pistols The first pistol I ever bought I got at Walmart. Lol bought it threw layaway

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  11. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Wal-mart gun sales is on a store by store basis depending on the local market and the local manager. A couple of the local ones around here used to sell guns but don't anymore.

I talked to a local contractor that worked on the last wal-mart built around here and he told me that almost all of the built in security measures are to keep employees from stealing, not customers. They assume customers are going to steal from them.

12. winds-of-change

Now that right there is pretty funny......and accurate.

These rifles were in a locked case. And I imagine you have to pay for them at the sporting goods cash register. I know I do for the ammo.

13. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I've got a pink Crikett.
    Bought it for my grand daughter as her first gun when she was 5 1/2 a couple of years ago.

14. winds-of-change

I looked at that Cricket for a few minutes. I have a 6 year old granddaughter. I'm wondering how mad my daughter would be if I bought the little one a Cricket. But it's my own darned fault. I didn't know better and I raised my kids anti-gun. My oldest ignored my 'teachings' and has always shot with his buddies. My other two are a little more difficult in me trying to tell them I was very wrong. My oldest son has gone shooting with me. The other two won't. But I think my daughter is getting close to giving in.

15. willshoum

willshoum New Member

I was blind, but now I see.........;)

16. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Old man Sam Walton was an avid gunner & hunter, he wasn't about political correctness, he was about makin' money!

Check these out:

Attached Files:

17. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

In 1958 I ordered a gun from the Sears catalog. There was a little place on the order form to sign verifying I was over 21 and had never been convicted of a felony. I ordered a Hi-Standard Sport-King SK-100 .22LR semi-automatic, complete with a leather holster. Best I remember it was about $25.00. It’s laying here on my desk as I write this.

Too bad we never appreciated true freedom until we lost it.

18. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

Hey Winds, what wal mart was this at? The ones in and around Rockford still don't have anything.

19. winds-of-change

The one in DeKalb.