Firearms Talk banner

Something i have ways wondered...

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jpattersonnh 
#1 ·
If you had a .300 win mag single shot (not sure if any one makes this) would it be possible to also shoot 30-06 or .308 out of it. I always thought it would be an interesting survival/ammo shortage rifle.

G
#2 ·
Ruger makes the #1 single shot in .300 Win. Mag. To answer your question, NO Definitely Not! and for several reason. First, the rim and case head on the 30-06 and 308 are completely different from the 300. All three headspace differently. Even if you could somehow get the 30-06 or 308 to catch the bolt head and fire it, the results would probably ruin your day. Most likely the 30-06 and 308 cartridge would just roll around in the chamber of the 300.
ct

#5 ·
It is possible with chamber adapters, and it's perfectly safe.

However, it rarely works out well in accuracy.

The single shot rifles with interchangable barrels are a better option.

#6 ·
You can by adapters from many places.

#7 ·
WITH adapter- possible, not advisable.

WITHOUT adapter- rounds headspace on the SHOULDER of the round- MAJOR difference. MIGHT fire, might not. MIGHT do you some major hurt- might not.

As Dirty Harry said "...you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

In the meantime, could we ask you to move down to the other end of the firing line, when fragments of rifle and body fluids will not make it this far? :p

#9 ·
It is possible with chamber adapters, and it's perfectly safe.

However, it rarely works out well in accuracy.

The single shot rifles with interchangable barrels are a better option.
Bingo...

My deer gun is a Thompson Center 30.06

For the price of the barrel and hand guard "to go magnum", I could update it and Elk cartridge no problem.

Tack

#10 ·
Bingo...

My deer gun is a Thompson Center 30.06

For the price of the barrel and hand guard "to go magnum", I could update it and Elk cartridge no problem.

Tack
Always thought the .30-06 w/ a 180gr was a 300 yard elk gun??? With an appropriate bullet even at 2500fps MV it will do the job out to 350 yards. 1491+-FPE 6.25moa scope adjustment w/ 150 yard zero.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.