Someone stole firewood from me today

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by spittinfire, Mar 23, 2010.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I came home today and my wood pile had the tarp pulled back and looked a little small. I asked my wife and she agreed that it was small. There is no way the tarp could have moved in the manor I found it without human contact. Right now I am nervous about my property while I'm gone. I have good ears and I'm a light sleeper but when I'm at work what can I do? I'm in the country, cops can't help, neighbors can but not always....any advise?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Good solid locks and cameras. Game cams work well. Oh, and motion dectors and spot lights. Just some quick thoughts.

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

It's a good thing it is warming up. You don't need all that wood. Someone less fortunate may not freeze tonight, thanks to your surplus supply of Firewood.:D

Always look for the Sunny side of things.

4. spittinfire

I told my wife about this very thing. We haven't been burning as much lately. If someone had come to me and asked me for it, I would have given them the whole pile....now they've stolen it and raised my alert 10 fold.

5. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Very well stated. Sometimes it is hard to look on the brightside. Every now and then, a friendly reminder can't hurt

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I can understand your concern. It isn't so much the wood being gone as it is someone has come uninvited into your personal space. That would get me worked up as well.
    I would have to think it was either someone that needed the wood for their home or kids stealing wood for a party bonfire.
    If it was real criminals they wouldn't have taken anything like the wood to alert you of their presence if they had been casing your house.

Skulls got a good idea of using motion lights to deter, or a good infared game camera hung high in a tree to identify if they ever come back.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Spitty is a Man of Faith. He would not hesitiate to help someone who was in need.

By taking what did not belong to them, they have trespassed on what is rightfully Spitty's sacred home and castle.

That is not "okay" no matter the spin you put on it.

While I agree that someone "less fortunate" might benefit, the same could be said for that same person robbing a local corner market or liquor store. Would that be "okay" as well.

I would recommend a dog. And some game cams as indicated. Motion detector is hard to beat in every sense as the cameras are only on when they have sensed motion.

Some of them have very easy to set up Internet viewing, so you can watch them remotely.

You can ask the local PD for random drive by's - but I doubt they will find the person.

Best I can say is good luck moving forward.

JD

8. Shihan

I got a nice Rottweiler you can put next to the wood pile. I was kidding in my post I know his boundaries were violated. I would not appreciate that either. Just looking on the bright side of life. Don't Grumble, give a Whistle and this will help things turn out for the best.:D

9. spittinfire

I seriously wish we could have a dog but our landlord doesn't want us to. The only problem with the dog is that even if it alarms and no one is here, it does no good. My concern is during the time when no one is here....while we are at work.

10. Shihan

Invisible fence and he can roam freely, someone comes walking in and is greeted by this.

Attached Files:

11. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

I agree with JD that is messed up That would piss me off and I am a woman of faith too I know it is just wood but they could have been looking for other things too!!:mad:

12. Car54

Car54 New Member

Secure the tarp with rope(s) as tight to the wood pile as possible. Next make a weather proof sign and tape or wire it on the tarp stating "if you need the wood, come ask me..if you don't ask I will prosecute for trespassing and theft. Might work....

13. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Why cant people just ask. I bought meals for people and given alot of wood away just because someone asked. No need to steal anything.

14. doctherock

doctherock New Member

costco wholesale has great digital cams you can access online and randomly check your property. great deal

15. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

People, relax.

Page 1043 of the Firewood Redistribution Act, don't you guys follow politics?

Seriously, that's messed up. Game Cam, prosecute the offender.

16. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Do you live in a place of extreme poverty? Seems like a pretty random thing to steal.

I had someone come onto my property when I first moved in and leave a noose on our backstep. VERY unnerving. Pretty sure it was just a neighbor kid having a prank but still.

17. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Spitty, I know what you're feeling. It's only happened to me once, but what a feeling of violation. I cannot imagine what it must be like to be the victim of a more serious crime. Yes, it was "only" firewood, but still.

If the landlord doesn't allow dogs, send him a bill for the missing goods :D

18. opaww

opaww New Member

I would say Punji Sticks around the wood pile but then you would be the one going to jail instead of the person steeling the wood

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

That is just ate the hell up.

Benning beat me to the hey they are redistributing your firewood wealth.

Good lord stealing fire wood last you for a day or two. Stealing a chainsaw will last you all winter. Crooks are just too effing stupid these days.

20. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Hey, Spitty, if you are in the mood for a project, check out Zone Minder!

It's a really powerful video camera and surveillance solution, and the best part, it's totally free!

ZoneMinder: Linux Home CCTV and Video Camera Security with Motion Detection

It's for Linux, so you'd have to set up a box for it, but you can hook up a whole bunch of cameras to it and monitor your entire property, including garage, sheds, and entryways. Take a look at these screenshots for some cool things such as motion detection and other features:

ZoneMinder: Linux Home CCTV and Video Camera Security with Motion Detection

Then you could get a couple of these for indoors:

Amazon.com: D-Link DCS920 Wireless-G Internet Camera: Electronics

And a couple of these for outdoors:

Amazon.com: Q-See QSC48030 High Resolution Weatherproof CCD Camera w/80ft of Night Vision (Color): Camera & Photo

Those babies have 80ft color night vision!

Then you need to get one of these each for the two giant pitbulls you'll install in a shed in the yard, hook it up to the motion sensors:

Dogtra

Launch pitbulls upon certain events! :D

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010