Someone guide me in the right direction?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by treevor, Oct 19, 2012.

1. treevor

treevor New Member

I'm looking around for my first ar 15 and i would like to build it my self. So I guess im askin for a good place to find a decent priced kit would be.

Or if someone knows where I can get a complete ar for a good price I may be interested.

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Palmettostatearmory.com

They have kits and complete rifles on sale. Check it out!

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

+1, git r dun!

Order the kit and the stripped lower on seperate invoices, will save you some excise taxes.

4. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

Congrats on deciding to build your first. A great way to really help learn the platform better.

JSE Surplus has a ton of custom complete upper options readily available. Price is on par with PSA, and they have the BCG included!

Second choice would then be Palmetto State Armory. Great stuff, greater deals, and very good reputation. Just used one of their lowers on my first build. It was perfect.

ps - don't forget to read the stickies at the top of the AR forum. Tons of great info in there that some of the guys worked really hard to put together to help us new folks.

5. Car54

Car54 New Member

I've done a lot with PSA parts, I rate them highly. With the volume of business they are doing now with all their sales, shipping can sometimes be delayed a bit so just hang in there.

6. treevor

treevor New Member

I've done some looking around and stumbled across a smith and wesson m&p 15 sport 5.56 for 620$ any opinions ther?

7. okdonk

okdonk New Member

The sport is what they called entry level or basic AR. Lots lots of people very happy with it. Very accurate and has a good price tag. But it doesn't have forward assist or ejection door. Which some people don't even use them.

8. treevor

treevor New Member

Do you know if the m&p 15 can shoot a .223 or be good for coyote hunting. I don't want it to hunt with but it would be a good perk.

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Well you have come to the riht palce my friend, congratulations on taking the first step :)

Now, go read the stickies, then read the build threads. After all that ... have a drink ... hell have a six pack! :p Once you've digested all that you'll want to decide on what you want the your SUR to do. From their folks here can guide you in the direction you need.

As for building it - pick a lower that you like or get a matched receiver set. Then it's just a matter of acquiring quality components and assembly ;)