some tips when buying a gun safe

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by TINCANBANDIT, Jan 3, 2014.

1. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Active Member

While I am not an "expert" per se, I did a lot of research before buying my last safe.

I get disappointed when I see people buying cheap, bargain basement "lockers" that are poor excuses for secure gun storage.

You need to look at specs, if the manufacturer does not list the insulating material or the actual thickness of the steel used in the sides, back and top, it is because they do not want you to know.

Many of the safes sold at places like Walmart, Home Depot and Costco are simply "residential storage containers" and do not qualify as secure or fire resistant.

I did a write up on my blog that includes pictures, descriptions and links, this helps the buyer make an informed decision.

BTW I do not work for a safe company, nor do I sell for them.

My first safe was a Liberty Franklin series 35CF, my first mistake was buying a Liberty, my second was buying too small!

The next safe I bought is a Superior Master Series 50CF, I made the same mistake in that it is too small.

Read more here on my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-primer-on-gun-safes.html

DocWard likes this.
  2. drboompa

drboompa New Member

Great information. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

3. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Great blogs also. . . .

Your neighbor to the south.

4. ironmike0311

ironmike0311 New Member

good read, but I think the #1 thing that I took away from it was that I'm sooooooo glad my knox isn't red... gawdawfullookinthing!

5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

None of them are big enough.......

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  6. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Well, nobody said you should only buy 1 gun safe.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

7. CloverLeaf

CloverLeaf Well-Known Member

Thank you! I guess I need tobe selling a couple!!!

8. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Tips...........
    Buy on sale
    Get twice as big as you think you need.
    Pay a pro to move it in (your back is not worth the risk).

tazzman55 likes this.
  9. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

I got the only one available in town, for $150, because WalMart lost the combination. The old mechanical dial variety, not the silly can't open it because the battery failed variety.

I mounted it in an odd space that was created when a balloon construction house was spliced to an old railroad freight depot. They just walled up the gap. I built a trestle of 4X4s to support it.

My next trick will be a concealed door with a concealed latch. If you don't know it's there you cant steal it.

If you live where the only building built in this century is the Tractor Supply store, what you got is what you get.

10. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

That is kinda what i did, My safes are in a room with a false wall hiding the room.

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I don't have a safe, I have a room !...................

SWSinTN and Dallas53 like this.
  12. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

not everyone needs or wants a safe, and for some of us, a safe is not the optimum solution for safe storage of our guns or valuables.

and for some depending upon their individual circumstances, the steel gun lockers are perfect for their needs. doesn't mean they are perfect for everyone, just that they serve their purpose for some. downside is they are not a safe, and will not perform at the same level as safe in burglary or a fire by any means.

there are two thought process's to safe gun storage. a safe is one of them, and the other is concealment. and that is best for the individual to make the assessment and evaluate their own circumstances, needs, wants and home to determine which is the best choice for them.

jigs-n-fixture likes this.
  13. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

I'm not going into detail, but it's just like any other asset you want to secure. Part of
    security is information control. Part is concealment, part is putting it under lock and
    key. Layers make it progressively more difficult for thieves to succeed. But if nobody
    knows about it, it's hard to find, locked up, protected with an alarm, etc, eventually
    the difficulty level of obtaining your stuff is going to be so high that the thief is going
    to seek greener pastures.

Dallas53, SWSinTN and 303tom like this.
  14. Dallas53

having layers of security is a good method of deterring a thief for sure. the first step is just keeping them out of the house in the first place. if they can't breach entry into the home, then they can't steal your stuff. any system of safekeeping your firearms and valuables, whether it be a safe or by concealment is the next layer if they do gain entry into your home.

time is the key factor. the longer it takes a thief to gain entry is your friend, and could deter him to go somewhere else that is easier. also if they have to make noise to gain entry is good for the homeowner. so having even a small yappy dog inside is an excellent deterrent. also having a loud security system as well.

but one thing to remember is, if a thief is determined enough, and has done his homework, then having good homeowner's insurance is your best bet. making it more difficult will usually deter the amateur or the lazy thief who is looking for an easy score.

if a person buys or trades guns on pretty regular basis, then make sure your records with descriptions and serial numbers are updated as well. i keep mine on a flash drive, and have several sets of paper copies. one set is kept with my insurance carrier. also consider having photo descriptions with the copies as well.

303tom likes this.
  15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Yeah buddy, I consider my Arms Room SAFE, it would take a Chop Saw to get into !..........

Dallas53 likes this.
  16. Dallas53

i like the concealment method. they can't steal what they don't know is there! it's a little more difficult than just using a safe, but certainly doable if one has some basic carpentry skills, or knows someone who does. and it can be as basic or as fancy as you want or need.

one i did in one house i had years ago. it had a hidden gun room. i had a good friend build me a bookcase, that was wider and taller than the door to the gun room, and had a skirted bottom with hidden roller casters on it. when in place, you didn't even know there was even there. you just rolled the bookcase to the side and revealed the locking door to the gun room.

tazzman55 and SWSinTN like this.
  17. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Active Member

All good suggestions, I did a blog post on home security as well, I did a lot of research and included options for nearly everybody.

I used to watch this show on one of the cable channels where they would have an ex-con find a way into a persons house while they were gone (with their approval) and see how much he could steal without being caught. I am pretty sure it was 100% staged, but it drove home one point.....lock your doors and windows.

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2015/02/wanna-keep-your-guns-safe-heres-some.html

Dallas53 and bluez like this.
  18. tazzman55

tazzman55 Active Member

If you are buying a safe to protect your guns from fire, give some thought to how long it might take for firefighters to respond.
    When it comes to fire, safes are only a barrier. You are buying time.

19. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

if it has windows, it can't be secured. 12" high 1" thick Lexan, OK. normal sized glass - nope

20. Dallas53

i have to beg to differ to an extent. older single pane glass windows are very poor at being able to secure unless you have some sort of burglar bar mounted that prevents intrusion if the window were broken. most modern houses usually have at least dual pane or even now triple pane glass windows. much harder to break through them than the older single pane windows.

even a lot of houses if they have been remodeled, or refurbished, usually they have upgraded to at least double pane windows. most people usually do simple for better energy efficiency. triple pane windows are evne more difficult to break and even more efficient as well.

no window by itself is infallible and can be defeated, but double and triple pane windows are much more difficult and would take an intruder much longer to defeat.