Some questions about Cerakote

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by AznZOhAn, Aug 11, 2011.

1. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

2 questions, first, is the SA MC Operator Cerakoted? And is how good is Cerakote compared to other finishes?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2011
  2. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

And can I do it my self or should I get a gun smith or pro do it?

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I'm not familiar with Cerakote, but all of those spray-on finishes are about the same. Each one says it's leaps and bounds above the others. I've used DuraCoat on a previous gun and it was mediocre at best. The finish flaked off the heads of all the pins on the gun first. Then it started flaking off the face of the hammer.

If I were to do it again, I would go with an ion-bond process similar to the Hard Hat treatment by Severns Custom.

4. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

5. Wambli

Wambli Member

Cerakote is a proprietary finish that according to the company is ceramics reinforced. It needs heat to cure and the aplications I've seen are really good. My last rifle I had built I specified Cerakote and the gunsmith that built it swears by it. He said it is tougher than just about any other finish out there.

You can get the stuff directly from Brownells and Midway and it's not brain surgery to do but beware, cerakote adds volume to the metal so DO NOT spray on rails etc on a tight fitting gun. Anything with tight tolerances like bolts etc are no-nos. Once the stuff cures, if the part does not fit you will go through HELL trying to get it off.

That being said I have a few cans at home with a couple of my own projects waiting for me to have some time to get them done.

6. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Thanks Wambli, heard that it is best thing out right now. I'm gonna have my SA loaded debured, a carry bevel, cerakoted.

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

It's far from the best thing out right now. Any spray-on finish will be inferior to the new ion-bond process. Higher end gun makers are moving away from "coatings" and moving toward "treatments". Severns Custom's Hard Hat treatment, Dan Wesson's Duty Treatment, Fusion's Ion-Bond finish are just a few examples. Coatings will be cheaper, but just a Google search for Hard Hat or Duty Treatment and see how they stack up with spray-on coatings.

8. Wambli

Wambli Member

While maybe not the best out there it is probably the most cost effective quality metal treatment out there.

9. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Ion bond is basically a powder cote like they do on car rims. Electrically charging the weapon to magnetize it and heating it up at the same time to make the particle stick after demagnetizing the weapon. Basically it's an electroplating process. I think I'll just try the cerakote for now, thanks Wambli.

10. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I don't know how they ion bond guns but they ion bond rims and car with a spray. They charge the rim or car body, then spray the cote on and let it cure. I think that's the same way they do cerakote, just a guess.

11. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I know SA cerakotes the TRP and Sig cerakoted their 1911 scorpion, and I think the SA MC Operator is cerakoted also. They aren't the highest end pistols but they are differently good contenders. Thank you very much for your information it is always welcomes and appreciated. And it's good to get open minded, educated, and experienced opinion.

12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Cerakote is sprayed on using an air brush. It can be bought from Brownells and Midway by anyone. No magnetizing of the gun is needed.

13. Wambli

Wambli Member

It's also sold in an aerosol can that works just fine. There is enough in a can to do two long guns or a few pistols. The parts need to be "baked" in an oven after spraying so the size of your oven will dictate how big a piece you can do at home. As I mentioned before make sure you tape up anything that has reall tight/critical tolerances.

14. Wambli

Wambli Member

You are welcome and yep, many manufacturers use Cerakote as their "proprietary" finish. :D

15. cerakoter

cerakoter New Member

I'm a certified cerakote applicator and have recently started messing with KG Gun Kote. Of the two I would recommend Gun Kote to the home DIY. It is much easier to apply.

Both should be done with a HVLP .8 tip gun, but an airbrush can be used. Dry coating is the worst enemy you face with an airbrush as they both should be put on in one wet coat from top to bottom on the part.

There is more info on my website and feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions. I'm off to the intro forum now as this is my first but not last post I would assume.

Cerakote.info

16. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Thank you for the info, and I'm not doing it myself. I have a couple pistols and an AR that I want to cerakote. I'll check your site and get some quotes soon.

17. skimbell

skimbell New Member

I've had three 1911's refinished in the past couple of years. All three have been done by CCR. Their product is called Cera-Hide. Some stuff about nano-technology---. I don't know much about that but all three of the guns I've had redone look like they did the day I got them back from CCR. The coating is tough.
    Here's his URL if you'd care to look at his samples and and explanation of what the finish is, and a couple if pics of the guns I had refinished.

CCR-REFINISHING

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. NIC-Kote

NIC-Kote New Member

Todd Powder of Phantom Finishes is one our BEST applicators and does some outstanding work! If you need some other references on Cerakote applicators please use the NIC Industries applicator locator at: NIC Industries - App search

19. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Nice, I have Colt CCO myself, but it has Teflon finish from Colt. But you have some nice pieces.

20. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

I thought parkerized finish was one of the most awesome lol.