Some open carry activist are just not helping.

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Joeyg69, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Joeyg69

Joeyg69 New Member

I've been watching all these video's of open carry activists, and I gotta tell ya some of them in my opinion are not representing us well. It's one thing to open carry legally to demonstrate how it's safe, lawful and should not be feared by the general public. It's another to carry your AK down the street or into a store, and expect people whom do not share our view point or who have been told that guns are dangerous not to have an adverse reaction. I can understand how some people who have been taught to fear guns would begin to side with the gun grabbers after feeling intimidated by such an encounter. Does this not in fact do more harm to our cause then good? Another even more harmful trend I've been seeing is those who deliberately attract law enforcement attention simply to cause every inconvenience possible to said law enforcement simply because they 'can'. Wouldn't it be a better idea to demonstrate cooperation with law enforcement by at least showing them some level of compliance to things like checking your ID? If it makes the cop feel safe and if you've got nothing to hide, then what would be the problem in showing a little cooperation? Should we not be demonstrating to them that we are not their enemies? Would it not be better to attempt to have some police in fact support this cause? Unless I've missed the point of these demonstrations it seems we have so far created MORE enemies to our rights, not just to open carry but also to the second amendment in general.....

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Your Right, too bad they are not listening,...

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

There actions are designed to incite non-gun people. It works, but not to the benefit of other gun owners. For every action there is an opposite but equal reaction; they will be quite miffed when the local government changes the laws to deal with their exhibitionism.

4. mseric

mseric New Member

I do not agree with the tactics of Open Cary Texas and their carrying of long guns into private businesses just to prove a point. They are not breaking any laws and they do have that right, but I do believe they are doing more harm then good.

I also do not agree with Law Enforcement overstepping their authority and violating someones Rights just because they are Law Enforcement.

If open carry of a handgun is Legal in your State then doing so, is NOT Probable Cause for a police Officer to Stop, Detain, and Question.

What do you mean by "compliance"? If the LEO has no right to ask you for your ID, why would you comply with an Illegal act and a violation of your rights, by a Law Enforcement Officer?

I will however, "Comply" with the laws of my State and the requests of property owners to not carry in their establishments, It's High Time the LE Community does the same. Wearing a badge doers not give someone the right to brake the Law just to make themselves Feel safe.

5. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I think you are spot on Joey. These folks are generating negative publicity that will in the end hasten some states to pass strict/stricter gun laws.

People that knowingly make other people uncomfortable in no way represent anything that I am about. Just because we have/use/like firearms does not make us all 'brothers in arms'.......there are plenty of murderous scumbags in prison who loved their guns, after all.......

I believe the NRA made a HUGE mistake when they did not distance themselves from the OCT idiots. At first they did, but no, the NRA can't piss off extremists? Should have stood their ground. The NRA has about as much marketing savvy as the GOP these days.......

6. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

I think

This thread was done already...in another thread. LOL

I too am on the side of restraint and stop getting us negative press however; as said, the thread was done to death...

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

that is why i am not even going into any lengthy discussions or debates on the issue.

8. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Here we go AGAIN

Did the civil rights movement succeed because a negro sat in the appropriate seat? Did the gay rights movement succeed by staying in the closet?

MI OC has done some absolutely beautiful work and is advancing our rights.

Kalifornia sole goal is total ban on firearms.

Rick Perry is NOT the firearm advocate he pretends to be in TX.

I support gun rights, BUT... is not supporting 2A.

Here's a question, why is it the states where OC is a more common occurrence have MUCH lower overall crime rates?

9. partdeux

. Fify

10. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

rights=responsibilities. dun.

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Joey, you completely missed the point.

These folks aren't 2A supporters at all. They're just on a very childish "macho" trip.

Running around with a rifle on their shoulder and/or "getting in the face" of a cop makes these whining, cowardly little nincompoops feel really "MACHO."

They don't give a crap about RTKBA or any other "cause." They just want to make a statement, no matter how many voters they piss off or how much damage they do to our cause.

12. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Wrong, they are 2nd A supporters BUT they are going about it wrong. You are getting way to emotional about this. Have another glass of wine and chill:p.
    If you want to make a change in anything with regard to 'life style' you must start by make small, incremental changes, not drastic changes. If they were to put a small j-frame revolver on and a go about their business and calmly explain to others, including LE, what they are doing and why they are doing this it would work wonders to get those who are prejudice of "guns and their owners' to see things differently.;)

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Which is PRECISELY what happened in California.

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I am not sure what the thinking is behind their refusal to ID themselves to police when asked while they are open carrying in what many perceive to be inappropriate situations.

While there is no requirement to do so it would be the wise thing to do IMO (not that these people seem to be doing the "wise" typing to begin with!). What is the harm to ID yourself? It could very likely resolve the issues that the poise have and the situation would de-escalate from there. Problem solved.

I wonder if this has been tried before? Maybe it has but the results were not worthy of Youtube. Nobody wants to watch a video of a non-issue.

15. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

Vikingdad..good point

Hello officer...My name is xxxxxx xxxxxx. Here is my license and I live locally. We are not trying to create a disturbance. We just want to spread awareness about our 2nd amendment rights. Our firearms are in a "safe" state and will remain so. BTW..thank you for doing your job and at least checking us out. We hope you to support our cause.

Now, what do you think the LEO is going to do and feel based on that respectable dialog? rather than

• I don't have to
    • I know my rights
    • You can't violate my rights
    • I know the law
    Option 2 would PISS me off too...so the adage of getting more with honey than vinegar is true.

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Exactly. There are some videos of this sort of exchange, but often the OC douche is refusing to ID but the cop stays cool. Kudos to those officers. I would like to slap the douche though.

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Random thought. "Slap the Douche" would be a great punk band name.

18. k2000k

k2000k New Member

I have to agree, they are the gun rights version of the social justice warrior. They aren't helping out cause, especially when they carry their rifle in front of them like they are some sort of soldier in Afghanistan. RTKBA has had many ups and downs, but the general trend has been up, and we don't want to be our own worst enemies.

19. partdeux

We had one guy in MI that did exactly that. He received a "disturbing the peace" ticket IN THE MAIL!

Usual response to contempt of cop... forcing the recipient to hire a lawyer, take time off of work to have the ticket thrown out of court. ZERO retribution for the LEO.