Some old .22s

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by srtolly1, May 23, 2012.

1. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

I have a couple old .22 rifles that I inherited when my uncles passed away that were my grandpa's. One is a Winchester 1902 that only shoots short and long but not lr. The other is a Flobert chambered for .22 short. I did restore the Winchester the best I could since someone along the way painted it. The Flobert is pretty rough but both shoot well. I'll never get rid of them but wondering about a value for insurance. Any help is appreciated.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Sound right?
    I don't have anything on folbert

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2012

3. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

Pic is upside down but looks like the right one. Mine has the optional peep sight. Taught my youngest daughter how to shoot it. Makes me miss grandpa when I shoot it. Thanks.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You're welcome. I think the folbert is antique (pre-1900) my books don't go back that far.

5. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Could you post some pictures of your rifles please?

6. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

Here are some pics. The Winchester is before restoration. I don't know what I'm going to do with the Flobert yet. The bores are excellent on both of them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  7. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Your Flobert looks kinda like mine. They are not very valuable. Yours is worth maybe $50 to $75.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      22.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
  8. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

I meant to post this pic

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      16.5 KB
      Views:
  9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Note of strong caution- Many (most) Flobert rifles are NOT for .22 short. They are for 22 BB caps. No powder, Primer only. Action is incredibly weak. Intended for indoor target shooting. Death, doom, disfigurement.

10. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

I was able to find the BB cap info. My grandpa always kept .22 Shorts around just for these guns. I also have an Iver Johnson Champion .410 that was always kept in the barn. Still shoots well but the front bead is missing and the rust pitting on the outside of the barrel and action is bad. I cleaned it up the best I could, it works ok for some of the critters that I don't want in the yard (like skunks and such).

11. sliverflinger

sliverflinger New Member

Old 22's

I too have a Flobert rifle like yours. DO NOT use U.S. made CB or BB caps in this rifle. This may be my first post on this forum, but I can tell you that at the very least you accuracy suck when you are dodging the self ejecting brass.:eek:. My opinion and worth what you pay for it.

12. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

Before firing the Flobert I did a lot of homework. It is in fact chambered for .22 short and is resonably accurate at 25 to 50 yards. The best iI could date it was 1895. I was purchased originally by my great grandfather. I am looking for a replacement stock but no luck. I dont shoot it much but I keep it clean. The Winchester 1902 Was purchased by one of my grandma brothers around 1915. I did a restoration on it and got the black spray paint off it.