some input please.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ehfudd, Oct 25, 2010.

1. ehfudd

ehfudd New Member

i am wanting a derringer and a semi. opinion on cobra and hi point. i know you get what you pay for so are these two both worth the price. looking at 9mm for both.

2. SecPro

SecPro New Member

Please pass through the intro section padre and tells about yaself.

I'd say a no go on Hi Point! Cheap wapon to say the least and in my personal experience not very reliable. I do have a friend that loves his .45 and has never had any issues though. Up to you man!

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Welcome to the forum. We have a section for "Introductions". You may want to stop in there.

Have you done a search on these firearms? There are very strong opinions that have been posted here.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

What are you needing them for? I would be happy to have a hi-point for range fun, but i don't know that i would bet my life on one. I haven't owned one myself though and may have been predjudiced by the opinions of others.

5. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

I've always wondered; who buys derringers anyhow? I don't "get" them beyond the fact that when I was a kid (a LONG time ago) there was a half-hour TV Western hero named Yancy Derringer and his big shtick was that on nearly every show he'd reveal yet another new derringer CC hiding place somewhere on his body. He had a Native American sidekick named Pahoo and his shtick was that he would either blast bad guys with his 8-guage (!) shotgun and they would smack up against the wall on the other side of the room OR he would reach for his trusty throwing knife which was in a scabbard just behind his shoulder and with one fluid motion he would do amazing trick things with it such as throwing it at the rope that held the chandelier on the ceiling so that it would crash down on the dasterdly bad guy and of course knock him completely unconscious. But I digress...
    I'm not usually so opinionated on these strings but this time for some reason I feel motivated to just recommend that... if it's a $ issue, that you drop the derringer idea and buy a better quality 9mm (than the two you're considering). I think in the long run you'll be happier about it. But, hey, it's just a suggestion. I'm thinking that if you handle a derringer for a few minutes in a store that might be enough to satisfy your curiosity about them and maybe you'll decide they're really not very practical. There are a LOT of guns I like to learn about and dream about and look at and handle for a few minutes but I realize I don't really need to OWN them. Just a little rant in my old age... please forgive me!...

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Derringers are notoriously uncomfortable to shoot. Even in the mild .38 spl they hurt to shoot. Get a used S&W 5 shot .38 revolver.

Ther e are so many quality semi-auto pistols available on the used market, I do not see any reason to buy a high-point. Look at a used S&W, Ruger or import Sig P-5.

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Not for self defense in any way, shape or form! I thought about them too, and decided against it even for range plinking.

The derringer is a limited capacity weapon, not recommended for self defense.

Seriously shop for a high quality used pistol 9mm to .45 ACP, you will be glad you did.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum!

8. ehfudd

ehfudd New Member

thanks for input on hi point 9 and cobra derringer.on hold for now.wife sez being layed off i need to make money not spend it.looking into raising alpacas. we have a small freshwater pond,but im not sure if they need saltwater,plus i need to see if i need an inspection or permit to sell the eggs at a locally owned diner.my wife thinks we do need something in order to sell food products.sorry this is so long but im getting better at pecking on this keyboard.dont need to ask wife for help. thanks gang

9. orangello

orangello New Member

eggs? That must be a BIG egg. :confused:

[​IMG] Alpaca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to raise eggs, get chickens & move their cage/corral around the yard every other day. People will pay well for those homegrown eggs. Guinea chickens will be an alarm system and insect control and cheap lil eggs. http://www.backyardchickens.com/raising-chickens-basics.php

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You only need ONE for a very satisfying and tasty omelette!

11. ehfudd

ehfudd New Member

that is an arabian,a breed of small horse.alpac is a breed of fish.just thought id clear that up.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

You are funny!

Back yard chickens can be fun, though; think of it as a free, quasi-legal way to hunt a baited field for fox, possum, Raccoon, and whatnot. You can even add a Peacock to scare the neighbors with its scary call.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There IS a breed of chicken called an ARACUNA- lays colored eggs. And skip the derringer- even the best suck, and the worst are dangerous.

14. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

Are you maybe related to Elmer H. Fudd? Siwwy Wabbit! Whatever you got in your water there I think I wanna try some... Maybe you could bottle THAT and call it HIGH LLAMA... Just kidding, just kidding... I'm gonna stop typing now before I get carpal tunnel syndrome (which is a mild psychological condition that some carp have that makes them believe they're swimming in circular tunnels... I think it might be caused when they THINK there's too much salt in their water). Do they breed these alpac fish in the high Andes where alpacas (excuse me, "arabian horses") are? All in fun... all in fun... Please forgive me... Don't wanna chase you away!... We're all learning new things here daily...

15. ehfudd

ehfudd New Member

sorry about all this confusion,my wife just informed me they changed my meds today.now im tired and confused. armadillos have shells right?

16. hideit

hideit New Member

cobra derringers are quality derringers
    however for the size i'd rather have a keltec 32 or 380 or ruger LCP

the only hipoint i would trust is the 45acp in 230 grain hardball - because the pressures are a lot lower for the type metal they use

17. ehfudd

ehfudd New Member

outside of 1by1 is there a site that deals with just the specks of diff. guns? type,grade of metal,polymer,etc.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  18. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

GENITRON is quick and easy for basic comparisons. There's a feature on it that allows you to bring up pics and stats side-by-side for 3 guns at a time too. It's basic but very handy.

Genitron.com: Search Handguns

19. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter