Soldier Found Guilty of Mudering Afghans

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Trez, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs was found guilty in a military court Thursday of being the leader of a U.S. Army thrill kill team that murdered three Afghan civilians for sport.

He was sentenced to life in prison, but will be eligible for parole in nine years. Gibbs was also found guilty of 12 related charges, including taking body parts as trophies from corpses.

Full Story:Leader of 'Thrill Kill' Soldiers Found Guilty - ABC News

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Why are they killing civilians? Aren't there are plenty of terrorists they could get their "thrills" from insted? Sounds like he is just plain crazy.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Watched "Platoon" one to many times! Nine years isn't enough..on release they should turn him over to the Afgans!

4. unclebear

unclebear New Member

things happen in war most people will never understand, people can be changed in ways that most people will never even realize... maybe this was just his way of coping with the stress. I don't know anything about this guy I don't know what he's been through I don't know his history.

Is it any worse then what they're own people are doing? When terrorist use and IED and in the middle of a busy area they don't tell everyone in the area that's not a soldier about it they kill civilians as well as our own people.

I don't know this whole trial just seems like a giant wast of time and money to me.

5. CarlsbadRanger06

CarlsbadRanger06 New Member

I'd have to agree. These guys got caught doing the wrong thing, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. That's all.

I've seen some of the best men I know do some pretty batty **** at times while in combat. Maybe they began to lose it; maybe they already have. I don't know.

TBH, I've found myself laughing after engaging insurgents.

If you've been in combat enough, and it doesn't take the same amount of time for everyone, you begin to hate the enemy with a passion. That alone can make a man do strange things.......

6. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Right or wrong, following orders or conscience, don't mean a thing.
    Karma, that irrefutable divine law of cause and effect, will visit him
    irrespective of politics and spewable soundbites. God is no respecter
    of religion or politics. "Ye will reap what ye sow."

7. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

I thought killing Afghans was the point.......... We need one of the Motivational posters for the liberals that has a picture of a soldier handing out supplies to the ENEMY! and the message says "WAR: You are doing it Wrong"

8. CarlsbadRanger06

Yes it is. And that'd be awesome!

9. texaswoodworker

Actually, we are there to drive the Taliban and Al Queda out. We want Afgan to be a democracy like us, but that will probably not happen in our lifetimes.

10. CarlsbadRanger06

Many of the Taliban along with Al Qaeda ate Afghani. Many are Pakistani, Iranian, and Iraqi. The same goes in Iraq. Hell, SOME are Russian. Blew my mind when I heard one being interrogated in Russian!

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

For the Army to convict a soldier for murder, you can bet your butt, it was murder. There are psychopaths everwhere, even in uniform. I am glad the Army handled it properly.

This kind of stuff happens in every war, after the second world war, we hung a bunch of Nazis for murder. One of the first things shipped to England when we were tooling up for the invasion of Europe were scaffolds for hanging soldiers who were guilty of murder, rape or other capital crimes. While there was only one US soldier put to death in WWII for desertion, a hell of a bunch were hung for other capital crimes.

12. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Eh, think we'd all be better off to just pound them all in to the sand and let Allah sort out his mess on his own.......

13. CarlsbadRanger06

AWESOME! That's how I see it ;)

14. texaswoodworker

They have been fighting for thousands of years. Does our Government reaaly think they will stop that just because they want to? I think it is time to either pull out or blow up the entire middle east (excluding Isreal).

15. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

That's what my dad would say...They have been fighting for thousands of years and they will fight for thousands of years to come....